Assault: Marines vs. Seraphim - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assault: Marines vs. Seraphim

Hey guys (and gals), playing with the idea of fielding a joint 1500pt SM/SOB army (SOB as Allies) and was wondering about the worth of fielding:

Reclusiarch w/JP + Assault Marine Squad (VSgt and Powerfist) - 300pts

alongside

Canoness w/JP, PW, Inferno Pistol, Cloak + Seraphim Squad (VSup w/PW and 2x Twin Infernos) - 314pts

Is this overkill, should I use my Chappy somewhere else, or will this cause massive amounts of headaches against xenos and heretics alike? Obviously with the Infernos, the Sisters could do a better job against Tanks and Armor, and with the Chappy and Powerfist, the Assault Squad could probably do some damage against Creatures and anything it can get its hands on.

Oh and FYI, the rest of the army is vanilla SM 'gunline' squads (with Plasma Cannon/Plasma Gun or Lascannon/Plasma Gun) as well as two Annihilators, and a squad of Celestians mounted in a Rhino, loaded with flamers and a Vet Sister with an Eviscerator, for a rush.

Any advice, comments, flames, will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chappies with jump packs are tailor-made for assault squads. They will make the unit Fearless and allow them to re-roll misses on the charge, not to mention that they are formidable fighters in their own right. I do almost the same with my army except I give the assault sarge lightning claws and the squad is tricked-out with meltabombs, plasma pistols, and furious charge (yeah it’s expensive…), and it always works well for me (although I don’t actually get to play very much). I think you have the right idea, just let the assault unit mulch infantry while using the SoB to hit armor.
    Cry woe, destruction, ruin and decay;
    The worst is death, and death will have his day.

-Shakespeare; King Richard II

Illustrator Extraordinair Adrian MalSeraph's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x7)

Okay, just a few notes.

Quote Originally Posted by Thuresh View Post
    Hey guys (and gals), playing with the idea of fielding a joint 1500pt SM/SOB army (SOB as Allies) and was wondering about the worth of fielding:

Reclusiarch w/JP + Assault Marine Squad (VSgt and Powerfist) - 300pts
    Chaplains in general make excellent leaders for squads, as they make it really deadly in close combat. However, its also almost always worth it to spend the extra points for the extra wound, you never know when it'll come in handy.

alongside

Canoness w/JP, PW, Inferno Pistol, Cloak + Seraphim Squad (VSup w/PW and 2x Twin Infernos) - 314pts

I play Witch Hunters as well as my Dark Angels, and let me make some notes.

Don't put the Canoness with the Seraphim. While it makes sense from a Marine standpoint, doing so will take away the greatest strength of the Seraphim, Hit and Run. She can't use it in the squad, and as long as she's in the squad, neither can the Seraphim. I'd opt for a Blessed Weapon, take off the Inferno Pistol, and give her Litanies of Faith. A pricey option, but very survivable. This gal will probably make it to combat.

I'd switch the Twin Infernos for Twin Flamers on the Seraphim, make much more use out of the little faith that you already have. Trust me, the greatest strength of Sisters is Faith and Fire.

Is this overkill, should I use my Chappy somewhere else, or will this cause massive amounts of headaches against xenos and heretics alike? Obviously with the Infernos, the Sisters could do a better job against Tanks and Armor, and with the Chappy and Powerfist, the Assault Squad could probably do some damage against Creatures and anything it can get its hands on.
    This is mostly true, however, with the incredibly short range of the Infernos, you're likely to lose a large chunk of the squad before they get into range of a tank. The girls are better off taking an assault role and supporting the assault squad. Two charges are better than one. Leave the anti tank to the marine boys and their long range.

Oh and FYI, the rest of the army is vanilla SM 'gunline' squads (with Plasma Cannon/Plasma Gun or Lascannon/Plasma Gun) as well as two Annihilators, and a squad of Celestians mounted in a Rhino, loaded with flamers and a Vet Sister with an Eviscerator, for a rush.
    This seems like it'll do well, but I think you could take the gunline approach a little more mobile. Maybe take a couple tacs with plasma or flamers in rhinos and try a rush situation. Including some Battle Sisters squad also would be a good idea, as you could always use more faith. Those are some options to consider when increasing the list to higher point limits.

qsd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x2)

Personally I would take a Master of Sanctity instead of the Reclusiarch. Also if you can fit it, take termie honors.
    Its not really that necessary, but I would give the assault squad plasma pistols since its cheap for them.

As Adrian said, don't put the Canoness in the Seraphim squad.
    Instead of the power weapon, take a blessed weapon. If you're really dedicating the Canoness to AT, then take an eviscerator, or better yet, magnetize the arms so you can pick and choose.
    I think that if you have enough AT, then give the Seraphim flamers instead.
    I would also consider giving Books of St. Lucius to your Canoness and VSS's
    There is no such thing as a plea for innocence in my court. A plea for innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
    - Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the input guys, here's to answer a question:

1) Unit Size
    - Assault Marines + Chappy were 8 models
    - Seraphim + Canoness were 8 models as well, if I remember

So its not recommended to field both at a 1500 level, I think I'll save my warrior women for a 1750 army, then and ride the Canoness with the Celestian Squad in the Rhino, hopefully to generate some more Faith and effectively use the Hit and Run of the Seraphs.

+ Reply to Thread