Terminator Wolf Lord - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x2)

Terminator Wolf Lord

Bar none, my favorite model in the 40k line is Lysander, so naturally I wanted to incorporate him into my Space Wolves. I did this by making him into a Wolf Lord with a thunder hammer and a storm shield. It was not a major conversion and mainly consisted of filing down the Imperial Fist regalia on his shield and armor. You can see him in my avatar and also here.

The trouble with having this model is that he is difficult to get into battle effectively, especially in a mid size army list. The two most obvious ways are to footslog him or put him with one of my troop choices in a landraider. I find that footslogging a model without a ranged attack is very rarely a good idea, so that is out of the question. Also, I do not own a landraider and if I did having it in a mid size game is a liability that I'm not comfortable with. Remembering that Space Wolf terminators are not allowed to deep strike I'm left with one option; I have to place him with a Wolf Guard Bodyguard and drop pod them into battle.

There's the long-winded introduction. Here's the million dollar question. How would you outfit this unit to be highly effective, yet maintain a low enough point cost that they are not a giant chunk of points in a list under 2000 points. My initial thought was to have four bodyguard each with a power weapon and a storm shield. This would make the unit a close combat powerhouse and would cost 320 points. That's a little more than I really want to spend on an HQ in my 1500 point list and would be vulnerable to enemy fire, but would pack quite a punch if I could get them safely into melee. Another thought is to minimize the squad with chainswords and bolters / bolt pistols, but then I'm paying for wolf guard but not utilizing their ability to equip wargear.

Please give me your thoughts on this dilemma of mine and remember, the sole goal here is to get the Lord into battle cheaply and effectively.

Thanks in advance,
    JohnPublic.

Last edited by JohnPublic; January 15th, 2008 at 18:47.
    "A word to the wise is infuriating." - Hunter Thompson

Projects: Warhammer 40k: Checkmate & JohnPublic's Board

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well what you could do is just put the wolf lord in a drop pod alone. because of the special rules for drop pods in a space wolf army you can't use tanks, and that means transpot tanks as well. so I would suggest that u just drop him next to other drop pods filled with goodies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

121 (x2)

I wish I could do this, but it is not permitted. Under the drop pod rules there is not a way to place an independent character into a drop pod. It does list command squads, but as far as I know he is not eligible to take one alone. Please correct me if this is wrong, I am currently at work and do not have a codex on hand.

Also the "special rules" you refer to are superceded by the rules in the Space Marine codex as per the Space Wolf official FAQ 4.1. We no longer use the drop pod rulings at the front of the Space Wolf codex.
    Last edited by JohnPublic; January 15th, 2008 at 19:53.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

!!!!!!!!!! dude i don't think I would of found that out if it wasn't for you. WOOT i get to use my tanks now, sweeeeeeet. o, and with the question about the commander, you can't realy help with the point system, either way you are gonna be using a chunk of your points on your command squad, but its worth it to me. a more successfull way to me would be a pack of 11 blood claws with a wolf gaurd in it all having power fists and stick the wolf lord in that and put them in a land raider crusader. so I would invest my money in the land raider if I were you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

121 (x2)

Well, the more I think about it the better an option an LRC becomes. I found a bit of time during lunch to play with army builder and was surprised to find how affordable a Land Raider might be up against the cost of a Wolf Guard bodyguard.

Option 1:
    Wolf Lord - Terminator Armor, Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield
    -Wolf Guard Bodyguard x4 - Power Weapons, Storm Shields
    -Drop Pod
    Blood Claw Pack x8 - Powerfist x2, Meltagun x1
    -Rhino w/ Smoke

Option 2:
    Wolf Lord - Terminator Armor, Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield
    Blood Claw Pack x8 - Powerfist x2, Meltagun x1
    Land Raider Crusader w/ Smoke

Option 1 is 557 points.
    Option 2 is 542 points.

I am very surprised to find that it works out cheaper to have the LRC in place of the bodyguard, drop pod, and the blood claws' rhino. I'm still not sold on it though, as the LRC scares me in that it only takes one lucky lascannon to destroy a sixth of my army and leave another sixth of it stranded in no man's land and possibly entangled.

Any suggestions concerning the make up of the bodyguard are appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    155 (x2)

Yeah I have been playing around with ideas of using a LRC with my wolves too, though more as a way of delivering blood claws rather then the lord. If you do go with the claws then you should really invest in 3 more so you can get the third power fist though, and I know you have reasons for you blow claw melta gun, but in a LRC it becomes even more useless since they will be charging straight into CC and will not be able to shoot out of the transport as they get there.
    Primary Army: Tyranids; Secondary Army: Space Wolves

It's Illeagle, but it' s not that illeagle. - John Public

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not to change the subject but why waste the great WS of the Wolf lord with a thunder hammer when it strikes at init of 1. Wouldn't it be better to have the frost fang with a bolt pistol and tear through the enemy first with 5 attacks of a power weapon?
    Where the heck did all them guardsmen come from?

Great Wolf! Is that the howl of the 13th?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

155 (x2)

Mackdawg, while I agree with you completely JohnPublic's reasons for using it is because he likes the model not for statistical reasons, so I am fairly sure he is not looking for advice on how to improve the lord.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

121 (x2)

Platy, I hear you on the Blood Claws. If I was going to put them in an LRC I would definitely use a pack of eleven with three fists. I just wanted to use identical squads in that example so that they were not a factor in the cost of the bodyguard+pod vs. LRC.

Platy is correct; I am using a Thunderhammer on my lord because I really like that particular model and the fluff behind using it as my lord. He is Bjorn Stormwolf and his symbol is the thunderwolf that appears on the shield of my model. Therefore it is fitting for him to use a thunderhammer and a stormshield. Sometimes aesthetics and fluff supercede efficiency.

I really would like to focus this thread on the bodyguard options available.

EDIT: Now that I really think about it perhaps it was not right to use identical squads, perhaps because in the end I would be using two different configurations of claws I should have factored that in in the costs. hrm...
    Last edited by JohnPublic; January 15th, 2008 at 23:25.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

155 (x2)

I still think that the way to go is with the LRC though, it will be FAR more efficient then the bodyguard, even though it costs an arm, leg, and most of a torso.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast