Fighting 1K Sons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    141 (x3)

Fighting 1K Sons

I'm curious what some people have done that's been effective against the 1000 sons. I've played them with a few different lists, and it's been barely a draw at best. The biggest impediment is my usual Battle Cannon and Plasma MEQ killers don't take out 1K sons very well. (May the Emperor smite their 4+ invulnerable magic!) Concentrated lasgun fire helps, but only to a certain extent.

What did you guys find that worked?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

That's tough. A good Thousand Sons list is tough to beat with just about any army. As with any tough army, there probably isn't a no-fail option here. It's just too bad you can't give a basilisk the DH upgrade of Psycannon Bolts for it's main gun. Have some non-save taking pie plates won't you?! Ah to dream.

In any case, I probably wouldn't alter my general strategy too much, which would be to blast away with every long range weapon I have from the first turn and every turn after and hope that everything was dead by turn 6.
    I think you need to spend more time on your floor.

2500 Black Templars
    7-3-3

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

I'd think a well balanced IG gunline would be one of the hardest opponents for a 1,000 sons army. No armored targets, the inferno bolts are worthless. Tons of high str weaponry that's cheap because it's not AP2/3(Heavy Bolters, Auto Cannons, Multi Lasers), invulnerable save is worthless. If you're really out to beat him you could create a guard list that reduces 1,000 sons to double-priced generic marines who walk kinda slow.

Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

I am surprised to hear that guard have problems taking on thousand sons. They are good in a way, but their potential only applies to things that are a lot stronger than guardsmen and so sending them against the small fries is quite a waste of points.

If you are talking about standard thousand sons infantry, than thats each marine costing over 20 points. To compensate for the 4+ invul you can load up on missile launchers, which is the best weapon for killing marines of any kind. Because of the need for sorcerors, you are bound to have lots of enemy points grouped in a single squad so taking down such squads will definitely hurt him, especialy when his infantry are slow and purposeful with their d6 movement, with that in mind you will get away with 2-3 missile shots before they finaly get into 24" bolter range.

But the most effective way of dealing with thousand sons, is including vet units of 10 with 3 plasma guns and a missile launcher and sticking them in 4+/5+ cover. A more advanced strategy is to use a calidus or a culexus against each unit, as once he klls te sorceror, the marines become small fries. But this way is effective in larger scale games, and once you actualy get a feel of what every assassin can do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems to me that you're playing to their strength instead to their weaknesess. Against regular marines loading on missiles, plasma, battlecanons and lasers may work well, but to go vs 1ksons you want to go the other route: make them eat a millon of (individually) weak shots.

Their marines are quite expensive, so they will have few models on the table. Also, their precious Inferno rounds are completely wasted on guard who has a crappy save anyway, so that's a ton of points down the drain for nothing.

Hitting them with a lot of shots will force them to make a lot of saves, some of which are bound to fail, even at 3+. So use weapons with multiple shots, like Inquisitor said: auto-cannons, heavy bolter or multilasers.

Also, if they are close enough, put the lasguns to good use! 20 lasgun shots should down (on average) 1 rubric marine per turn! well, at least that's what I do with my nids vs my friend's 1ksons and it does work well.

Summarizing, instead of vehicles and expensive weapons use lots and lots of infantry with high volume of shots weapons. They won't be able to kill that many infantry (since they have few models) and they will eventually wither and die (due to high volume of incoming shots). Also, judicious use of cover will allow you to make some saves (whatever the AP on their guns is) and given the amount of wounds of your squads, the 1kson player will be very ineffective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

I beat 1k son players through use of ordnance. Even though they get a 4+ inv save that's like 50% of them who get wounded are going to die and it's sweet as if you kill even 1 because that's 20 points gone. And he has to kill 3 guardsmen to make up for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

as per wraith, 1K sons are tough but they are at their best against MEQs not guard, they are not a patch on necrons as a tough opponent, inv saves, if they make, you can shoot them again in the same turn, WBB is a better device
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by kalender View Post
    It seems to me that you're playing to their strength instead to their weaknesess. Against regular marines loading on missiles, plasma, battlecanons and lasers may work well, but to go vs 1ksons you want to go the other route: make them eat a millon of (individually) weak shots.

Their marines are quite expensive, so they will have few models on the table. Also, their precious Inferno rounds are completely wasted on guard who has a crappy save anyway, so that's a ton of points down the drain for nothing.

Hitting them with a lot of shots will force them to make a lot of saves, some of which are bound to fail, even at 3+. So use weapons with multiple shots, like Inquisitor said: auto-cannons, heavy bolter or multilasers.

Also, if they are close enough, put the lasguns to good use! 20 lasgun shots should down (on average) 1 rubric marine per turn! well, at least that's what I do with my nids vs my friend's 1ksons and it does work well.

Summarizing, instead of vehicles and expensive weapons use lots and lots of infantry with high volume of shots weapons. They won't be able to kill that many infantry (since they have few models) and they will eventually wither and die (due to high volume of incoming shots). Also, judicious use of cover will allow you to make some saves (whatever the AP on their guns is) and given the amount of wounds of your squads, the 1kson player will be very ineffective.
    Listen to this right here.

T.S. marines are just as easy to take down with basic fire, as compared to regular marines. Don't waste your time firing rounds that allow for the inv save (i.e., plasma, missile, melta). The best way to deal with T.S. is SHEER NUMBER OF SHOTS.

As kalender said, their infrerno bolts are wasted, not to mention that you win the numbers game. Bolters are very good at killing guard, but that expensive cost of the T.S. marines counts for nothing, if your army doesn't include 3+ saves, and you aren't firing high strength, low ap weapons into them. In essence, you can very easily treat T.S. marines as regular ole marines. Honestly, I'm shocked that I.G. has problem with them. You should be much more concerned with Slaanesh.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best way to beat Thousand Suns is with Conscripts and a good leadership bubble. Preferably one with a banner for the re-roll on leadership tests.
    What do you call a lasgun with a laser sight?

Twin-Linked

+ Reply to Thread