2 Sponson Weapon questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x3)

2 Sponson Weapon questions

Morning
    Two questions, one about gaming and one about modelling.

1) Does anybody field a Predator without sponsons? I know the recent DA and BA codex have made Predator Annihilators really expensive, but for normal Codex players its a very cheap tank. If you had only a spare 100 - 120 points, would you get a Pred Anni without sponsons, a full pred destructor or none of the above?
    My thoughts on it are that a Sponson less Pred Anni is still only cheap, but accurate, and is the enemy really going to go out of his way to claim 100ish points worth of tank?

2) Do the Land Raider sponsons fit a rhino chassis? I got the big bad box of 100+marines and tanks and don't really fancy having 8 rhinos and wish to make some Whirlwinds and Predators out of them. Buying the Land Raider sprue B and a predator turret from GW would allow me to make another Razor and a predator for only £12.

Cheers chaps

I can't say I've seen it all but I live for the things that keep me hollow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

qsd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x2)

1) I've never fielded a Predator w/o sponsons before, so I don't know what to say.
    I suppose it depends on what you need. If you want an AT boost, take the Annihilator. If you want an anti-infantry boost, take the Destructor.

If they think the Predator is threatening or an inviting target, I guess so. I field allied Inquisition storm troopers with plasmas/meltas for about the same amount of points, and opponents seem to go out of the way for those more than the Marine counterparts. I would think that someone would want to save their hard-hitting heavy/special weapons for my Marines while they still have enough left to do reasonable damage, but no...they waste it on my cheap and expendable (at least compared to marines) guardsmen instead

2) Nope, sorry. I think land raider sponsons are too big.
    You could try to get the bitz from the War Store though.
    There is no such thing as a plea for innocence in my court. A plea for innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
    - Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x2)

On the predator I think it is always going to be a worthwhile investment to upgrade the sponsons to heavy bolters rather than leaving them blank. The hb's are cheap enough that they pay themselves off more often than not. Even if the tank is there solely for the purpose of armor hunting there will be times when you will find it having to shoot at infantry or light armor and it does not take long for six s5 shots to earn ten points back.

As far as the land raider sprue is concerned I believe it is going to be too big to fit. The question is, why not simply buy the predator turret and sponson sprues? The predator sponson sprue will definitely fit and costs less than the land raider one.
    Last edited by JohnPublic; January 17th, 2008 at 16:25.
    "A word to the wise is infuriating." - Hunter Thompson

Projects: Warhammer 40k: Checkmate & JohnPublic's Board

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnPublic View Post
    On the predator I think it is always going to be a worthwhile investment to upgrade the sponsons to heavy bolters rather than leaving them blank. The hb's are cheap enough that they pay themselves off more often than not. Even if the tank is there solely for the purpose of armor hunting there will be times when you will find it having to shoot at infantry or light armor and it does not take long for six s5 shots to earn ten points back.
    And it's also nice to have more weapons to destroy for the "weapon destroyed" roll
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

The trouble with going sponson-less is, once somebody gets a "weapon destroyed" roll, your pred is an expensive brick with tracks, and the best you can hope to do is run something over or block line of sight someplace. With the HB sponsons, knocking off the big gun just turns it into a mobile horde killer, and your opponent will only cackle with glee until he/she realizes he/she still has to worry about it wreaking havoc on the field.

I'd recommend against the lascannon sponsons, though. Yes, three big guns, one of them twin-linked, is tempting, but it will be a stationary pillbox, otherwise you won't be able to use the sponsons, and if you're sitting in line of sight to the enemy, that means the enemy has line of sight on you, which could make your tank a sitting duck.

And yeah, the LR sponsons are too big, but you can order pred sponsons through thewarstore. If you really wanna have fun, magnetize them to mix and match, that was you could do a Rhino rush OR have a mech gunline! ;Y
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

+ Reply to Thread