IG vs Sisters - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IG vs Sisters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IG vs Sisters

I will be facing a 1000 point Witch Hunters army this Friday. What should I expect to have to deal with? Are there any general strategies or tactics I can use or that they use on a regular basis? I have not played against one before but am quite... scared... I guess you could say. Simply because they seem to be able to field anything I can plus power armor, rhinos, jump packs... :-/ (Which just about leads me to ask why I do not pick up the sisters as well.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x4)

just face it as you would any army, guns a blazing. But dont let them get to close, they pack alot of flamer and those can really chem through IG. Also watch out for the fast attack Seriphim and be wary of the faith point thing. Ive played a few games where the random faith point ability has really almost turned the tide of war. Good luck and Emperor protect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They fight in a similar fashion as the Space Marines but they have a few psychic powers. Their real strenght if you ask me is in taking out psykers so don't field sanctionned psyker. Battle tank and Basilisk might be your greatest asset since they hit hard and penetrate the armour and can blow apart the vehicule with plenty of ease. Watch out for assassins, they tend to be deadly if used right.
    Expect retributors, the female version of devastors(space marine) or havocs(chaos).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

bah, knid of depends how he has them set up, classically WH are one of three things:

1 inqusition based - loads of frakey stuff, but all expensive, stand still and shoot and you should deal with in short order

2. Pure sisters (foot) - ok max on poer armour breakers, but generally you will out gun them, try and use cover to give you some saves and you should be able to tough it out because of better heavy weapons

3. Pure Sisters (mechanised) - pray he doesnt, in 1000 points that is probably about 8 vehicels, 6 of them rush up the field, a squad leaps out and obliterates one of your squads, you cant afford to lose 6 squads per turn, short of absestos armour, use something like split deplyment and try and give yourself as much room as you can to shoot his tanks

real problems:
    1. Exorcists - if you have tanks, exorcists will eat them
    2. bouncing serephim - these will break your squads and use hit and run t protect themselves
    3. Faith - ask to borrow his codex, read up on it, then keep track of his faith points, they can win him games
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    141 (x3)

Along the lines of the above post, your biggest concern is massed bolter fire. Sisters generate the same firepower as marines, cost less, and can have two flamers. 170 pts of battle sisters will mop the floor with your squads if they get in close, especially since the rhino's can provide cover and block LoS. Unlike marines, sisters can easily buy their points back against guard.

If you see rhinos coming your way, destroy them ASAP. You can win the game as long as the sisters are more than 12" from you.

The other thing to watch out for is an assassin, specifically the Callidus. She can pop out anywhere and royally mess up your chain of command or vehicles. Though in a game that small, I doubt you'd see one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that the callidus is the most fearsome assassin against the imperials since she has plenty of attacks, a neuro-shredder that acts much like a flamer and the worst thing about it is that she can deepstrike without scattering and assault in the same turn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x4)

My most regular oponent is Sisters, and they can be quite challenging.
    He generally runs the following list:
    Cannoness - Jump Pacl, Blessed Weapon (ups the strength), Frag, Book of St Lucius (solid LD support for army, similar to Ld bubbles)
    2 Sisters Squads in Rhinos - armed with either flamers or meltas, both with Veteran Sister Superiors
    1 Excorsist - eats tanks, vehicles, expensive infantry, terminators etc.
    1 Seraphim Squad - Inferno pistols, flamer - practically impossible to pin in cc
    3 Death Cult Assassins - operate as independant 1 model units, nasty on the charge, have an invulnerable save.
    I know this doesn't really impact on your game, but I'm going to list target priorities and general strategies against him in the hope you might be able to glean something from it.
    Target Priority:
    1. Rhinos
    2. Excorsist
    3. Seraphim
    4. Whatever is most threatening.
    The majority of Sisters players I have seen use a mechanised list - they simply don't have the ranged firepower (apart from 1 squad and a tank) to slog it across the board. If you take out the Rhinos in the first turn then you have limited the effectiveness of it, and the short ranged sisters now have to slog it across the board on foot.
    Excorcists are nasty, they get a variable number of shots each turn and can rip through nearly everything. Most often they will hide this first turn in the hope of getting a juicy target in second turn, play the same game. Either offer it a juicy target and have squads ready to deal with it or don't offer it any ideal targets and then wait for it to come out.
    Seraphim - every sisters army will include these girls. The entire unit generates faith, the get to roll an extra dice when making faith tests, they get hit and run, 2 close combat weapons and access to inferno pistols. Quite frankly they are one of the hardest units in the sisters list.
    Sisters Squads - generally short ranged as they can't take heavy weapons. The will most likely include a veteran sister superior - she is the lynchpin of the squad.
    A note on Faith: Only certain units/models generate faith. These include Heroines, Seraphim (the unit) and Veteran Sister Superiors (but not the rest of the unit). Every time one of these units/models dies the faith points are added back into the pool thanks to Martyrdom. There are 3 ways to deal with this:
    1. Careful positioning. If they place the VSS to a side or in front position your units so that they are either one of a couple models in sight or range - this means that if they fail saves they have to remove her. Torrent of fire can also help.
    2. Break the units. Hit them with everything untill they break - often the player will leave the VSS until last, but if they are broken or fleeing instead of destroyed they can't replenish faith.
    3. Grin and bear it. Faith can be game winning, and it is really, really frustrating when a cannoness with a 2+ save suddenly makes it invulnerable. In this case, just ignore it and throw volumes and volumes of fire at them.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain (It's time to roll the dice)- Mattrim Cauthon

Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

My personal opinion is to load up on missile launchers as they have no 2+ troops of any kind, and their vehicles are Av13 max so you wont have to worry about heavy armor.

As previously said, basilisks and russes can help but exorcist might prrove to be a pain. The sucker gets d6 krak missiles a turn so better try to keep the vehicles out of its line of fire. I am also not a fan of AF sqauds and hellhounds since you are trying to stay away from his infantry, not come closer to it. Hellhounds dont ignore any saves so whatever they torch will probably be able to make its save. It is a good tank, but not in this case i think.

The only concern that I have involves seraphim, however in this case conscripts wont help as seraphims can easily outmanuver such a large infantry unit. So in my opinion, a unit of rough riders may proove usefull. They wont kill the whole squad, but once the seraphims are done killing the riders, the rest of your guard can be sitting there waiting for the combat to be over so they could blast them top pieces.

A minor word of warning, make those rhinos your primary target. Forget the exorcist, if you deploy your tanks correctly than there wont be a problem. Seraphims are priority number 2, as they usualy house the canoness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

I think that the extremely general idea here is that you should still outnumber SoBs, and you should still have fire superiority. So shoot the heck out of what looks the most dangerous first and hope everything goes well.
    I think you need to spend more time on your floor.

2500 Black Templars
    7-3-3

qsd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Thorsmitersaw View Post
    I will be facing a 1000 point Witch Hunters army this Friday. What should I expect to have to deal with? Are there any general strategies or tactics I can use or that they use on a regular basis? I have not played against one before but am quite... scared... I guess you could say. Simply because they seem to be able to field anything I can plus power armor, rhinos, jump packs... :-/ (Which just about leads me to ask why I do not pick up the sisters as well.)
    I suggest having some anti-infantry weapons in addition to low AP weapons because of their high shot output. With Faith, the Sisters saves can turn into invulnerables, so the effectiveness of massed anti-MEQ weaponry drops. Don't drop them altogether though; if the opponent runs out of Faith points, fails the test, or doesn't think its worth it to use Faith on a certain unit, then its nice to have low AP weapons.
    Rough riders also tend to be less useful, because the opponent will probably use the invul-save Faith ability if they see you trying to charge with them.

Some things you should look out for:
    -Faith
    -Rhinos; these usually are carrying SoB squads with flame weapons
    -Seraphim
    -Exorcists, if they're in a position to threaten your tanks

These are expensive, strange, and unpredictable, but can still be annoying nonetheless:
    -Arco Flagellants - sure, they can kill themselves, but if they get into your lines, they're difficult to stop
    -Penitent Engines - Random and unpredictable, though they tear apart your units if they get into assault; Plus, they block line of sight and are sometimes used as threatening, yet somewhat expendable screens for Rhinos

Quote Originally Posted by WraithGuardian View Post
    As previously said, basilisks and russes can help but exorcist might prrove to be a pain. The sucker gets d6 krak missiles a turn so better try to keep the vehicles out of its line of fire.
    I thought it would be useful to mention that although the strength is the same, Exorcist missiles shouldn't quite be underestimated as krak missile equivalents; they're slightly better
    AP1 = More dangerous to tanks (I'm thinking Russes) than the krak missile is.
    Plus, its dangerous to GKTs if you decided to ally any.
    There is no such thing as a plea for innocence in my court. A plea for innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
    - Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast