valkyrie - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: valkyrie

Monkey Pirate Greenbeard The Ex-pirate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

valkyrie

I've more or less decided to my one of these things. Since it is likely to be my last purchase for a while, due to college expenses, I was hoping I could get some feed back from folks that own one.
    First off
    1) The model itself: it looks good in the pictures and all, but how well did it go together? easy, or did you make a sailor blush?
    2) out fitting it: what has worked best for you?
    3) This is a big one for me, how effective is it at inserting storm troopers? Being able to swoop in and claim objectives as game wrap up sounds great in theory however if the thing never manages to make it to the lz whats the point?

At any rate thanks in advance.

Rheagar fought nobly
    Rheagar fought valiantly
    Rheagar fought honorably
    And Rheagar died.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    141 (x3)

I think GW may release their own Valkyrie this summer with planet strike, fyi

Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard The Ex-pirate View Post
    I've more or less decided to my one of these things. Since it is likely to be my last purchase for a while, due to college expenses, I was hoping I could get some feed back from folks that own one.
    First off
    1) The model itself: it looks good in the pictures and all, but how well did it go together? easy, or did you make a sailor blush?
    3) This is a big one for me, how effective is it at inserting storm troopers? Being able to swoop in and claim objectives as game wrap up sounds great in theory however if the thing never manages to make it to the lz whats the point?

1. You are right about it looking good, and in fact I think it looks better than the vulture that I put together recently. The only problem is putting it together, its incredibly hard if you intend to do a good job. The main body is composed of two halves which have to be painted inside before you glue them together. After you paint them, you have to glue them together and ceil the holes between them which is outrageously difficult if you want it to look unnoticible. Than you have to cover all the holes in the body so you can airbrush the whole thing without getting any paint on the already painted insides. You cant paint the insides once the body is put together, its simply impossible, and making a valyrie with closed doors and a closed ramp not only looks bad but is a waste of money.

2. Fuel tanks, and a lascannon. No mounted weapons of any kind, it already comes with door HBs for free. Fuel tanks, for a reason being that with them you can not only transport storm troopers but take a sentinel/tarantula/cyclops along with them. With weapons, you cant, and besides the weapon option for valyries are bad as you can only choose either hellstrikes or rocket pods. Hellstrikes are pathetic, while rocket pods are only good incombination with other anti infantry weapons and valyrie is better suited for anti vehicle role.

3. Its very effective, but it alone cant take table quarters. Either way, if you paint it well than it will definitely stand out on the field apart from other boring guard armies. But to be honest, if you paint it realy well than you wont want to play it since fielding something this sophisticated isnt worth it when you are playing an average 12 year old.

P.S
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Paris View Post
    I think GW may release their own Valkyrie this summer with planet strike, fyi
    I realy doubt it, in fact why would they? They havent even made the GW rules for them in the Apoc so it would be more beneficial for them to work with things like fighta bomer and thunderbolt first.

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by WraithGuardian View Post
    p.S
    I realy doubt it, in fact why would they? They havent even made the GW rules for them in the Apoc so it would be more beneficial for them to work with things like fighta bomer and thunderbolt first.
    Planetstrike is the rumoured sequel to apocalypse, said to contain rules for "D-day style 40k games" and flyers. I doubt however that we'll see planetstrike released as early as summer though, it is sofar an unconfirmed rumour, just like the plastic Valkyrie.

EDIT: To clarify, what I'm saying is, that if you're holding off your purchase because of planetstrike, you might have to wait for a long time.
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

First off

And the wings have a distressing tendancy to fall off unless pinned really, really thoroughly.

I like the hell strikes as an upgrade to the fuel tanks, you can magnetise them (And get the armoured cockpit too - The Distinctive paint job is a wonderful option in modelling terms, but really really blows in gameplay.) The hellstrikes work well as you can fire all of them in one turn at the rear armour - so it's not that poor. Admittedly it's also as they look cooler. It should always make it to the LZ - you can put a model on the table edge (I reccomend aeronotica minis - but they're pricey and only come in 2x packs - try ebay) - and that means anywhere - including opponents.

on the plastic valkeryies - I think since with planetstrike they're doing plastic drop pods they're very likely to do a valkerie - but i'd hazard a guess that like the baneblade it'll be just slightly "worse" - probably no fuel tanks - or the option of dropping sentinels.

I'm considering getting a second for my Inquisitor - converting dark angels in the robes as priestly gunners (one may have to be heavily greenstuffed to have the robes whipping around the right way) and trying to do it All Black/Dark Navy Blue with an angelic silhouette in gold "diving" with sword outstreched. The Feathering on the wings (going down thew wings) will take days and i just can't find a fine enough gold pen that works. I may do Very light grey with a white Highlight / drybrush - for a Light effect and the long purity seals from the DA biker sprue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

First off
    OK there is invariably a high degree of trimming required and often "white Fluff" that needs removing from the model, as per wraith, you need to get the whole body working, but unlike him I am in favour of clsed doors.
    wings dont need pinning if you use the right glue, stay away from super glue, that is for smaller things, get Araldite or another 2 part epoxy resin, most DIY stores do injector based systems of these glues and they are comparable in price to superglue for the volume

DO wash them model after trimming and before assembly, use warm water with washing up liquid in it

DO dry fit it
    depends what else is in your army, unlike wraith I prefer the vulture model for looks, (BTW Wraith, have refitted wings) and for effectiveness, generaly in my Elysians anti tank is the problem hence I go for las cannon and hellstrikes (note fluff wise there is a single hardpoint on the wings, model wise there is two)
    This is at its best as IA3 or 4 advanced flier rules makes Hellstrikes ordiance
    bad, very bad, stormies just wont hold, one squad will fall to a marine squad without much trounle, also it puts yur aircraft in the line of fire far too much, (generally you are so close that smallarms like plasma guns, grenade launchers, shuriken cannon etc etc are in range, the more shots they have the more likely you are short of an aircraft

Personnally I use my stormies as a spearhead, last 2 games (appoc level) my opponent took a disruption beacon, which is a "£$%Y^ if you use drop troops, hence turn 2 I put both stormie squads next to the beacon (DS not valk deliveres), one got caught by the beacon but the other got in and meltered it, allowing my troops to DS on target in turn 3, that is fluffy and the way it should work, valk would allow you to do the same thing

therefore there are 2 uses for valk bourne stormie squad - pin point accuracy support as above, allowing the stormie squad to strike very accuratley anywhere on the board, and belated objectives - you have fallen into the trap - this is the way out - dont dismount the sotormies until late in the game, fly by and shoot stuf up with the valk, look on turn 5 or 6 to drop off the stormies to contest an objective
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Monkey Pirate Greenbeard The Ex-pirate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    therefore there are 2 uses for valk bourne stormie squad - pin point accuracy support as above, allowing the stormie squad to strike very accuratley anywhere on the board, and belated objectives - you have fallen into the trap - this is the way out - dont dismount the sotormies until late in the game, fly by and shoot stuf up with the valk, look on turn 5 or 6 to drop off the stormies to contest an objective
    Thats more or less what I was looking at for it. I for the life of me can't not find the hell strike ordnance rules either.
    Also I'm still skeptical about planet strike.
    Rheagar fought nobly
    Rheagar fought valiantly
    Rheagar fought honorably
    And Rheagar died.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

planet strike does seem a solid rumour as does the accompanying plastic Valk, it was well touted that they started down that route for appoc but shelved it in favour of the bane blade, given the turnover they must be getting on them I can see them restarting the valk plan, it would make sense business wise

The problem remains dont expect a squad of stormies to hold anything against determined opposition and if you want the valk to Achieve anything you need to have more uses than just an "air taxi", as such a tank kiler can rapidly give you points back

as I said, hellstrikes rules are IA3 I think, FW realised that they were glorified HKs, costing more points for fewer on most aircraft so they made them ordianance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have to say the valkyrie i purchased from forge world was very disapointing, the model itsself once assembled was amazing, great detail both interior and external and it was fun to paint, the cockpit however was a b***h to attatch to the body of the thing, i had to use quite a lot of filler, aside from that i dont regret purchasing it =], also the seat was awkward to position, but combined with the heavy bolter guys its pretty good,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

411 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by inquisitor_coteaz View Post
    i have to say the valkyrie i purchased from forge world was very disapointing, the model itsself once assembled was amazing, great detail both interior and external and it was fun to paint, the cockpit however was a b***h to attatch to the body of the thing, i had to use quite a lot of filler, aside from that i dont regret purchasing it =], also the seat was awkward to position, but combined with the heavy bolter guys its pretty good,
    good point, the cockpit on both the valk and the vulture is a paint in the but, it doesnt fit well, the pilots tend to be ok if you trim below the point where they can be seen, the glas in the cockpit is an absolute nause, I would recomend actually puttying it in place with GS to avoid whiting from superglue fumes

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast