Dominions and Immolators - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    No King Rules Forever Dawnrunner's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

Dominions and Immolators

Just a few questions regarding Immolators and Dominion squads...

Is an Immolator a good choice for a Witchhunters army?
    Which is the best choice for Immolator weaponry: flamers, heavy bolters, or multi-meltas?

Is a Dominion squad a good choice for a Witchhunters army?
    What is the best way to equip a Dominion squad?
    Is an Immolator a good choice for a Dominion squad's transport vehicle?

Feel free to pick and choose which questions you feel like answering.

The Emperor set a fire in their hearts that they might burn the iniquitous and the impure from his sight. And the light of that flame shall be as a beacon to the faithful, a light that shines in the darkest places.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

now i've never actually played an immolator in any of my games. However it does looks quite nice on paper. A semi-expensive rhino upgrade, why not? the downside to that argument is, it is a more expensive RHINO with an even bigger target for priority. same frontal and side armor as a rhino, means it gets killed jsut as easily. Without the option of repair makes it even less viable. If it was up to me, i would jsut get a normal rhino and throw some dominoins in those. and more than 6 of them for sure.

as to dominoins...they look like they could definatly perfom to a good standard. Again, though ive never used them, im jsut speculating as to their potential.
    ...and you do the Hokey Pokey and you turn yourself around, thats what its all about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

56 (x2)

Granted my experience is somewhat limited but I'll give it a shot...

To me, it depends. As a trasport for a regular squad of SoBs, no. I'd rather take bigger squads. There are only two ways that seems to be worth considering in my mind. First, if you take an Immolator with a squad of Dominions kitted out for anti-tank. This way your Immolator, with either the heavy bolters or flamers can clear infantry from your approach to an enemy tank, thus allowing your meltas to go to work without having to shoot through an infantry squad. Second, a Cannoness and her retinue, if you're keeping it small. This to me, would be more for fluff reasons like a cannoness would want to ride in the shootiest/burning-est vehicle in town. Either way, seems like a pricey investment when Rhinos are so cheap and can do the job just as well.

Which is the best choice for Immolator weaponry: flamers, heavy bolters, or multi-meltas?
    I'd go with either flamers or HBs. The Exorcist is plenty of long range anti-tank firepower, so a multi-melta isn't necessarily needed, unless you aren't taking Exorcists, in which case I would say "Why aren't you taking any Exorcists?" Heavy Flamers are good because you can do drive by burnings and don't have to worry about rolling to hit. Plus the statline on a HF denies most armies their armor saves. HBs are a good second choice. You'd have to have a whole friggin bunch of heavy bolters for me to think you've got too many.

Like many SoB units, if you can get them into shooting range quickly and stay there, they have the potential to be very effective. However, a squad packing 4 meltas is going to draw a lot of fire, which brings me to the next question...

I would assume that you have some good squads of regular sisters with bolters, so kitting Dominions out with Storm Bolters seems like a waste. Yeah they'll move and shoot and what have you, but a big squad of sisters in a rhino can do the job just as well. Flamers, well same thing there. Sisters have a lot of weapons for killing light to medium infantry in their arsenal, but if you want multiple shot, high percentage anti-tank/terminator killing ability, the Exorcist is the only option besides an Inquistor with a bunch of Multi-Melta gun servitors, Retributors, or a melta'd out squad of Dominions. A min/maxed squad of Dominions is similar in cost to a equivalently kitted out Seraphim squad. Given a choice between the two, I'd take the Seraphim.

Anyway. I hope that helps a little bit.
    I think you need to spend more time on your floor.

2500 Black Templars
    7-3-3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    255 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnrunner View Post
    It can be, but most people prefer rhinos.

It really depends on what you want the immolator to do, and what the squad inside is equipped with. I find that the melta ones get shot down quickly, and the bolters are less effective transports because they can't move their full distance and fire.

It can be, though people will know which rhino holds the dominions if they are paying attention. I recommend placing all your rhinos one after each other and not saying out load "fast attack" or "elites" or "troops" that way they will not know which one you are placing, they may just think you have many regular sisters.

Depends on how you like to play and what role you want them to fill. I personally use a squad of all meltas for cleanup on pesky power armor squads who survived divine guidance from a regular squad and hunting terminators. They can pop a tank too, though it is not as likely. I have seen people do well with multiple squads of storm bolter dominions as they can move and fire at 24" allowing them to "dance" with a large portion of their army to set up traps. Multiple flamer squads haven't worked too well for me as any unit they are effective against will be killed after the second template, leaving the last ones without anything to shoot.

Yes and no. It is quite fluffy to have an immolator as the transport for dominions, it is a fast strike transport for a fast strike unit. The downside is that your enemy will know where your very specialized dominion squad is, and it might take more fire. The upside is that the immolator can be given a turret weapon that will support the squad (In which case and of the 3 have a role, but I still find multimeltas die too easily).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

55 (x4)

Yes it can be but along with Exorcists, it often becomes a fire magnet.

I prefer flamers but I believe the multi-meltas are the most effective armament and am starting to use them more.

Yes. They're often overlooked in favour of Seraphim, who are fantastic but fulfil a different role.

It depends on what you want them to do. My preference is Flamers on the Dominion squad and multimeltas on the Immolator assigned to them.

Yes but a Rhino is probably better.
    And over there we have the labyrinth guards.
    One always lies, one always tells the truth, and one stabs people who ask tricky questions.
    http://xkcd.com/246

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use the immolator as a transport for my GKPA's, which makes the GK's a lot more effective, and it takes some heat off of my innocent looking little rhinos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im not really sure what GKPA is....but im pretty sure GK is grey knights. i was under the impression that all GK's have terminaotr armour?
    ...and you do the Hokey Pokey and you turn yourself around, thats what its all about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

GKPA, which should actually be spelled PAGK, stands for a Power Armoured Grey Knight squad. (GKPA would make it grey knight power armoured squad, which doesn't feel right when you say it in my opinion.) Grey knights do not all come in terminator armour, though I do believe that long ago they may have.

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

The best weapon is the standard Heavy Flamers.
    The 12" move-n-shoot can be a really big deal.

I agree that the Immolator is basically a Rhino upgrade that makes it a high priority target.
    ANd for reasons that are long to explain, I tend to lose when a transport gets popped before making its first move.

HEAVY SLOT:
    If your heavy slots are not filled, one undedicated Immo can be useful in the late game.
    I used one recently, and I had it doing a lot of duty behind my lines. It scored, it carted around some ISTs, and carted a Cannoness across the field, she jumped out and shot a tank, while the Immo toasted a separate target, and then some ISTs (who were in danger of going below scoring status), took refuge inside the tank all in one turn.

I guess that I'm trying to say that the undedicated version can really do wonders in the end game. A few things that kinda get unappreciated:
    - you only have to get two inches away from a door to jump in.
    - it scores
    - it carries any squad / and an IP-toting cannoness may join any squad
    - the end-game is often a struggle of scoring units moving into scoring position, and the multi-function of an Immo can really serve that, because it can move 12, shoot, and load/unload. That's a lot.
    Sisters Repentia: Wow what beautiful models! Wow what terrible rules! -stjohn70

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok the effectiveness on this vehicle relies on one thing. Terrain. If you can get a lot of compat terrain, it's great. That's what the WH are good for after all. If you look at there weapons, their tank busting power is in the melta category, and their ranged fire power...HEAVY BOLTERS!? They are great at close range fire, immolator a great vehicle for just that. If you can get a lot of terrain, take it without a second though. If it's open...don't hesitate to downgrade.

Lance out
    "The only hatred any man should hone, is hatred against himself for not being able to serve the Emperor to his full extent. This is the hatred he should unleash upon the enemy, and in doing so, the Emperor will protect."

Master Lucius, Chapter Master of the Noble Templars

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast