Acts of Faith...Overrated? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    No King Rules Forever Dawnrunner's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

Acts of Faith...Overrated?

Alright, I know this isn't gonna make me a very popular guy (especially among Adepta Sororitas purists), but I posted my tentative army list on the forum and the one thing I really noticed was the fact that people kept on telling me to put in more Veteran Superiors. "You need the Faith Points!" they would say. "Without Faith Points and Acts of Faith, you might as well just take Allied Marines!" I would like to reply that these people are WRONG. It's specifically stated in the codex that Acts of Faith are minor miracles that provide a little extra help in difficult situations. They're not supposed to be the be-all and end-all of Witchhunters armies, especially not when you have a 1000-point army with an Inquisitor Lord for an HQ choice and a squad of Stormtroopers as one of the troops choices instead of a pure force of Battle Sisters. An employee of Games Workshop even stated that "Acts of Faith are very powerful weapons, but learn to use them as a supplement to your battle plans rather than the crux, as sometimes they might fail you at the most inopportune time."
    Warhammer 40,000 - Witch Hunter

Now, with that in mind, can it be said that Acts of Faith are somewhat overrated nowadays, especially in a "mixed" Witchhunters army?

The Emperor set a fire in their hearts that they might burn the iniquitous and the impure from his sight. And the light of that flame shall be as a beacon to the faithful, a light that shines in the darkest places.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Acts of Faith are worthwhile and important, but they are a tool that must be used properly like any other tool.

I really only use Divine Guidance and Spirit of the Martyr. Occasionally I'll use the Passion, but never Hand of Emperor or Light of the Emperor.

To me, Divine Guidance is the way to kill Heavily armoured troops and Big 'Zilla bugs and Spirit of the Martyr is the way to keep my Cannoness tying up a lot of expensive troops all on her own.

It is worth the points you pay for the Sister Superiors, if only for the wargear and the Leadership and Faith Points are bonusses!8Y
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

Light of the Emperor is brilliant! Never forget to use Light of the Emperor. Forcing a squad that's below half to auto-rally can throw your opponent for quite the loop and keep a lot of victory points on the table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

spirit of the martyr caused my opponent to not even target my unit of seraphims, they continued on the next turn to demolish 2 fire prisms. invulnerable 3+ save, omigosh rediculous?

with all personal anncedotes aside, AoF are a little different in the codex then what you said: "small miracles that if used at the right time can turn the tide of battle. i think multiple players here can attest to AoFs playing a major roll in winning a game on at least more then one occasion. like diggums said, the points are worth the extra attack alone, the faith points are just a nice sugar coating on the cake.
    Last edited by Torone_xii; February 3rd, 2008 at 08:55.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

Faith to SoB is like a Marine to rolling a 3+...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

I played valid (IMHO) lists with no VSS upgrades. 1K lists with some Inquisitorial elements might possibly get you 2 or 3 Faith Points (no Canoness), and since I usually do not give my VSS any gear anyway, I might decide to spend those 30pts elsewhere. It all depends on how your list looks/plays. However, if you are going all-out Sororitas, Faith is essential.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggums Hammer View Post
    Acts of Faith are worthwhile and important, but they are a tool that must be used properly like any other tool.

Nicely put, Diggum. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Keep in mind that Faith is one of the fundamental elements that makes Sisters different (and better...and more interesting...imho) than ALL other armies (yes, better and more interesting than ALL, I said it :-D).

Arguing to not use faith is kind of like... say, arguing for only having one arm. Probably fine until the day you want to...I dunno...open a jar, because then you're like CRAP I should've invested in that other arm. But more than likely, if you never had the other arm, you'd just be like, MAN THESE JARS ARE HARD and not even realize how good a two armed man's got it.

Ok that didn't make a lot of sense. So how bout this,
    Defiler's bearing down on your girlies, you've got a cannoness with a cloak, jump pack, and evis. She bravely throws herself in its path and takes it on.

You can choose to either a) ignore faith, and let the defiler crush you, or you can b) pick up an asterisk on that 2+ and hang around long enough to saw it in half.

hmmm...hmmm... I PICK A!. (er...scratch that)

Every dice roll can "let you down," but as Diggum said, it's a tool like anything else, and isn't the objective of putting a list together is to give yourself the best and most tools you can?
    Last edited by BarnyCarhamich; February 3rd, 2008 at 20:09.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    255 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Fuhrik View Post
    Nicely put, Diggum. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Keep in mind that Faith is one of the fundamental elements that makes Sisters different (and better...and more interesting...imho) than ALL other armies (yes, better and more interesting than ALL, I said it :-D).

Arguing to not use faith is kind of like... say, arguing for only having one arm. Probably fine until the day you want to...I dunno...open a jar, because then you're like CRAP I should've invested in that other arm. But more than likely, if you never had the other arm, you'd just be like, MAN THESE JARS ARE HARD and not even realize how good a two armed man's got it.

Ok that didn't make a lot of sense. So how bout this,
    Defiler's bearing down on your girlies, you've got a cannoness with a cloak, jump pack, and evis. She bravely throws herself in its path and takes it on.

You can choose to either a) ignore faith, and let the defiler crush you, or you can b) pick up an asterisk on that 2+ and hang around long enough to saw it in half.

hmmm...hmmm... I PICK A!. (er...scratch that)

Every dice roll can "let you down," but as Diggum said, it's a tool like anything else, and isn't the objective of putting a list together is to give yourself the best and most tools you can?
    A great point, and your example does make sense too. Faith is a great part of the army, turning those bolters and flamers into ap1 on 6s, and transforming your save into invulnerable really can fill up the holes the army would normally have. When used properly acts of faith can make your army last longer and do more damage, how could you not want that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Acts of Faith are definitely not overrated... More like the reverse actually! Once you start using them properly, some opponent might even start to cry cheese. IG players, as they see your squad run across the table unscathed by battlecannons, will be especially unhappy.

Now, that being said, AoF is an absolute must... in a SoB army! You seem to have made an hydrid inquisitorial/SoB army. From experience, it's a very cool army fluff and look wise. But it's rather inefficient. You don't get enough faith, so the SoB "wing" suffers (the one arm parable is quite good!) and you don't get enough inquisitorial force to overwhelm you enemy (inq. stuff is costly and usually has to be able to survive attrition to get to the opponent's forces).

Phil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on the subject of faith: I'm a nid player. I love the look and fluff of the sisters but i'm quite confused about faith. I have a player at my local store and his army is rough.....real rough!! he runs 2 canninesses, 3 exorcists, seraphim, and some others... sisters with rhinos, like 4 rhinos.. and incorporates the rhino wall heavily. Anyway he uses faith like its going out of style and i feel its a huge back bone in his army... So my question to you is... how do i nullify... or otherwise make it hard for him to use these awesome yet, again coming from a nid player, devastating powers?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast