Retributor and Immolator Combo? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Retributor and Immolator Combo?

Hi, I am just starting a mechanized WH army, and after reading through the army list, and discussion, an idea came to my mind. I have been reading tacticas and discussions here, and I have not seen it discussed.

Get a retributor squad with 6 sisters and 3 HB and an immolator as a dedicated transport. In the beginning of the game do not deploy the retributors inside the immolator. Instead, sit in cover and shoot with the heavy bolters, while the immolator goes off and does its own thing (drive, shoot, pick people up).

This setup would only take one heavy support slot for a long range anti infantry fire support squad and an immo, and would keep the other 2 slots free for exorcists.

Many have mentioned that immolators as high priority targets. However, using this setup, an empty, nonscoring immolator would probably be overlooked in a mechanized environment, and may prove useful in the game.

I was wondering why nobody has discussed this. I got the idea thinking about my buddy who plays "mechanized guard" and essentially does this with his chimeras and guardsmen. Is there an inherent weakness that I have overlooked?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as a dedicated transport, i dont believe you can pick up other troops.

To answer your question though...yea, i think its crazy enough to work. Do they focus fire on the immolator with heavy flamers heading straight towards their infantry, the HB retributors which would prolly wreak havok on infantry regardless, or the exorcists....just melting faces (figuratively of coarse)?

to me i cannot think of anything that would make this any less viable then trip exorcists, cept maybe a cheese cry or two.
    ...and you do the Hokey Pokey and you turn yourself around, thats what its all about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's an idea that i've been wanting to utilize when i get my army going. It's something that I've used int my marines too. I have a Devastator squad or two that has razorbacks with heavy bolters. I use my razorbacks to actually reinforce my terminators on the push up the middle. The terminators just take all the fire while my razorbacks concentrate their fire on the heavy weapons that are trying to kill my termies. Don't even realize that they are a threat until there is a hole in the middle of their force and I'm tank shocking units off the map lol

All in all a very over looked tactic. I love it a lot. If you're lucky they might focuse their fire on the transport too thinking that there is a unit in there they might be able to pin down. Used it, love it, think everyone should do it.

Lance out
    "The only hatred any man should hone, is hatred against himself for not being able to serve the Emperor to his full extent. This is the hatred he should unleash upon the enemy, and in doing so, the Emperor will protect."

Master Lucius, Chapter Master of the Noble Templars

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x4)

Certainly worth considering. But there are downsides.

The Retributor Squad will be 5 or 6 models meaning Divine Guidance will be harder to invoke. An Imagifer to remedy this is expensive but might be necessary.
    And over there we have the labyrinth guards.
    One always lies, one always tells the truth, and one stabs people who ask tricky questions.
    http://xkcd.com/246

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have used this set-up and it does work. If you have two exorcists and a retributors/immolator, you'll find that both your empty non-scoring immi and your retributors last quite a bit longer. I also bring 4 HBs and upgrade my veteran for the extra faith point.

I've never used AoF with this unit, but enjoy the faith that it adds to a jumpy cannoness, seraphim or other troop unit.

If you want an immolator without taking a heavy slot, take dominions or celestians and keep them back as a counter-charge unit or have them slog to capture objectives. Unfortunately, they don't have the range of the retributors HBs, but don't spend a lot of points on them. Then you can take 3 cheesy exorcists and see how long a "move 12 inch and flame" immi can really last.

Have fun...
    Hey, this linguine tastes a lot like spaghetti...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

I think we can safely assume that your heavy slots are already filled if you have to ask this.
    If they are not filled, then take it as an undedicated transport, which I strongly support.

RET DEDICATED IMMO:
    To snswer the question, I'd say that "yes" it can be very useful.
    If your enemy somehow defeats your Rets sightlines with good terrain/deployment, the Immo can fix that by replanting the squad.

Here's the good stuff that it can do.
    - Race a fresh squad into scoring position,
    and
    - It can still lay down some hurt with that huge flamer,
    (which can easily take 1-2 battle-weary Marine squads to below scoring).
    (Well-placed Flamers can hit multiple squads)
    (Squads tend to be closer together at the end-game, and therefore easier to hit two)

Immos get more valuable in the end-game, where there's fewer units that can hurt it.

The move-and-shoot-and-transport option is essentially like having three turns in one.
    That's a lot of influence to the game, for having stashed away a mere 78 points.

UNDEDICATED IMMO:
    If you have an available heavy slot, a single undedicated Immo can do a lot in the end-game. If you can find it in your game to stash 78 points into that box and find a safe garage for it for turns 1-4, the undedicated Immo can issue a full game turnaround on turn 5 or 6:

Realistically, one undedicated immo can serve six functions in one player turn:
    1) It moves 12" into scoring (and threatens to score, being a scoring unit)
    2) it shoots (possibly unscoring 1-2 enemy units)
    3) it drops a unit into scoring position
    4) it pulls another unit inside (possibly allowing your depleted unit to score)
    5) It denies enemy bolters who are embedded in any squad who targets it
    6) It possibly denies an enemy charge

That's a lot of influence over the game.
    78 points is not a lot to set aside for this many options in the end-game.
    Sisters Repentia: Wow what beautiful models! Wow what terrible rules! -stjohn70

+ Reply to Thread