vs Dark Angels - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: vs Dark Angels

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vs Dark Angels

howdy... come saturday the might of the Holy Inquisition shall face the traitors that are the Dark Angels.

I have read the overall faq about plasma and melta being the bane of any space marine army but I am also looking for more specific info about them.

For example.... my usual squad of Inq Lord + Full shooty retinue (the extra henchmen being there to soak up wounds for the 3 heavy weapons) seems not such a good idea against a Whirlwind that ignores cover saves!

Also... focusing on IST's means less PAGK/FAGK. Is that the right way to go? From what I understand, dark angels are very expensive compared to normal marines and are more shooty than other named chapters. So having guys walk around and not wear Power Armor seems a bit of a waste just so you can get 2-3 rounds of shooting with low ap weapons.

Furthermore.... deathwing and ravenwing... bloody fast and with numerous options on their weaponry making them good at comming really close and killing my anti-tank dreads or just wiping out Grey Knights as they march down the field.

Also... in the 2000 point game... is a GM worth it? For the extra Initiative, wounds and attack? What I fear is the instant death that we (unlike them) cannot avoid against a simple powerfist.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

I have read the overall faq about plasma and melta being the bane of any space marine army but I am also looking for more specific info about them.
    Plasma is a bane to anything in power armour, melta weapons are a bane to any tank that you get within range of.

For example.... my usual squad of Inq Lord + Full shooty retinue (the extra henchmen being there to soak up wounds for the 3 heavy weapons) seems not such a good idea against a Whirlwind that ignores cover saves!
    The whirlwind unless it gets a direct hit will scatter so it won't always take out your guys, plus the more infantry you field the less he'll be worrying about your =][=.

Also... focusing on IST's means less PAGK/FAGK. Is that the right way to go? From what I understand, dark angels are very expensive compared to normal marines and are more shooty than other named chapters. So having guys walk around and not wear Power Armor seems a bit of a waste just so you can get 2-3 rounds of shooting with low ap weapons.
    If this is a 2k game I would take 2 squads of these guys in rhinos with teleport homers and 2 plasma guns per squad. Drive them forward as fast as possible pop smoke, jump out shoot and next turn deep strike a bunch of FAGK and Terminators down. Plasma's will do well, but dark angel space marines aren't all that expensive, he will still out number you if you use pure grey knights. Using grey knights though will give you an edge in combat.

Furthermore.... deathwing and ravenwing... bloody fast and with numerous options on their weaponry making them good at comming really close and killing my anti-tank dreads or just wiping out Grey Knights as they march down the field.
    Do you know what kind of dark angels your actually facing or did you just take a look over the page? I don't recall the differences between the two wings, but either way your going to need anti-tank power so take the dreadnoughts, and like I said above deep strike your grey knights if you don't think that the shroud will protect them enough. Additionally the likely hood that all his vehicles will be in range first turn to shoot at you is slim.

Also... in the 2000 point game... is a GM worth it? For the extra Initiative, wounds and attack? What I fear is the instant death that we (unlike them) cannot avoid against a simple powerfist.
    Out of all the games I play I rarely see power fists, and last I checked unless a powerfist ignores invulnerable saves you still have that, so taking a GM w/a psycannon won't kill you, at minimum you got him moving forward slowly shooting up everything that gets in his path.
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

Use large squads of PAGKs armed with stormbolters to get to 21-24" range and mow him down. Shrouding has about a 1 in 3 chance of working at that sort of range and a cover save on your part will help a little against heavy weapons. Use your ability to move and fire at all ranges to cut down the volume of return fire. You can frustrate him into plodding towards you (so he can't fire bolters at that range) or sitting still and firing single shot bolters back at you. Keep out of LOS of those devastator squads.

Considder moving forewards to assault him in combat later in the game. Grey knights are great at falling back and shooting all the way, then when the enemy get too close or there is no more room to fall back they surge forewards, shoot storm bolters & charge.

I wouldn't rely on ISTs with plasma as they will only get one shot once they disembark. Inducted guard with ML/Plasma gun squads could work better. If you want mechanised rhino units with meltas then get sisters rather than ISTs. They cost a little more but have better armour and a little faith.

Shooty inquisitors suffer from a lack of mobility but are a good way to get heavy bolter firepower but the HB isn't that much of a marine killer.

Best way to deal with his terminators is to get GK terminators to charge them. Strength 6 power weapons hiting on 3s before his powerfists can strike. A mystic in the shooty inquisitor unit can also make that plasma cannon very deadly if the deathwing choose to teleport.

The best way to avoid instant death on a GM is to take a BC and 2 extra terminators instead for only 8 more points. They have 3 wounds but as they are 3 models they cant be instant killed. Also they get 6 shots at BS4 rather than 2 at BS5. You loose initiative 5 and the force weapon ability but get 10 attacks on the charge rather than 5 or 7 attacks in subsequent rounds rather than 4.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

+ Reply to Thread