Using Rhinos and Blood Claws? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using Rhinos and Blood Claws?

Now that I'm working an a Space Wolves list, I have questions about how to use Blood Claws with a Rhino. My basic 1000 point list will have 9 BC with two power fists and a Rune Priest. I'm not sure, however, that the Rhino will do its job here. The BC have to get the charge to be worth bringing, but most Rhino tactics I've seen say to drop troops in rapid fire range and use the Rhino to block LOS from other units. The problem with Blood Claws is that their lower BS should lead to only two dead MEQ troops. That means they'd have to eat a charge from the unit they just shot at, losing those extra 2 attacks, or get rapid fired in turn. Of the two, I'd take the rapid fire. Problem is, one of my usual opponents plays witch hunters, and always has two flamers with his Sisters. Flamers with Divine Guidance would cover all of my models and do one or two AP 1 hits, and then I'd get assaulted. With the Rune Priest, I'd win, but it would be hard to justify the Blood Claws and Rhino just to barely survive a combat with ten Sisters.

This all assumes my single Rhino doesn't blow up instantly.

I guess my question is how do I use a Rhino to try to get the charge for my Blood Claws?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    134 (x4)

I'm not quite sure, but I'm pretty sure Smoke Launchers have something to do with it.
    Karmoon: "well.. any kore = good kore" 12:35pm PST 23 May 2007

Inquisitorial Aspirant librisrouge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Normally, I'd say use other rhino units to screen your BCs so they can't be assaulted without going through Grey Hunters or some such. Against sisters though, you may be out of luck as they play the 12" game better than most. Against sisters I'd say use what range you have to out gun then till they come to you if you can. Hold the BCs to counter charge for you.
    'An open mind is like a fortress with its walls unguarded and its gates wide open' -Blood Ravens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    182 (x5)

Either use the Rhinos to block the LOS until you reach the opponent's lines or board them in and use cover and smoke launchers to do the same. Then when you reach in CC limit then unboard them and charge! Easy to do!
    Thanks to all the people showing faith in me

I sometimes feel that everyone will leave me and they will be on their own...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x2)

Remember that if the rhino has not moved in the turn the passengers may disembark, move, and assault. With the 2" range of disembarking you can effectively charge a unit that is 14" away from the rhino. Granted being inside that range is highly dangerous for the vehicle, but if you can use terrain and / or other models to keep the rhino safe then you are home free.
    • Start the game with your troops deployed outside the rhino but within 2" of a hatch. This ensures that if the rhino is busted on turn one your troops will not be pinned. Hopefully it won't be an issue as your ven dread allowed you first turn, but you can not be sure of that during deployment.

• First turn: Load up and move 12", pop smoke if any danger is present.

• Second turn: Move another 12" or however far you need to move to get within 14" of your target. With a grey hunter squad you would then disembark and rapidfire. With blood claws they sit and pray. If you did not need to pop smoke in turn one, do it now.

• Third turn: Disembark, move, charge, destroy.

Obviously this can be a risky maneuver because of the susceptibility of the rhino on the second turn, but it can also be highly effective. Use cover and target saturation to minimize the damage.

The idea is simply to get the rhino within charge range and sit it there until the next turn. Take your time doing this if you need to. It is much better to maneuver it around the board and not attack until turn five or six than have it destroyed on turn two or three.
    "A word to the wise is infuriating." - Hunter Thompson

Projects: Warhammer 40k: Checkmate & JohnPublic's Board

+ Reply to Thread