tactical question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tactical question

yes, is it good to have a lot of heavy weapons with tactical cause with me personally tactical are good shooters. I got two five man squad with plasma gun and plasma cannon and two five man with missile launcher.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Oldie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x3)

i think as a rule of thumb, for as many min/max squads (minimum men, maximum fire power i.e. 5 man lascannon plasma gun combo) have an equal or greater number of 8-10 man squads with power fist

however, when the new codex is out it will appear that heavy weapons can only be taken in 10 man squads so dont rely on lots of min/max squads because their days are numbered
    2000pts Orks 4-2-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x3)

Don't forget that could all still change. There is still many month to wait on that.
    Now for mixing a plasma gun with a plasma cannon isn't the greatest idea. Because then your choice every turn is either move, or shoot. If you do just a plasma cannon I think it would work much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit
    Geez, toon, your avatar changes more than Bill Clinton's campaign platform.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by The Toon View Post
    Don't forget that could all still change. There is still many month to wait on that.
    Now for mixing a plasma gun with a plasma cannon isn't the greatest idea. Because then your choice every turn is either move, or shoot. If you do just a plasma cannon I think it would work much better.
    This isn't true. There's plenty of cases where people mix plasma guns and lascannons in units and no one really has a problem with those, so I don't see how having a plasma cannon would change anything. If anything, it'd compliment the unit's anti heavy infantry capabilities.

Katie D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Katie Drake View Post
    This isn't true. There's plenty of cases where people mix plasma guns and lascannons in units and no one really has a problem with those, so I don't see how having a plasma cannon would change anything. If anything, it'd compliment the unit's anti heavy infantry capabilities.

Katie D
    I guess I view this differently because for the battles I play tables are pretty big (more than a 4ft by 4ft table).
    So which then would make me have to agree with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit
    Geez, toon, your avatar changes more than Bill Clinton's campaign platform.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by The Toon View Post
    I guess I view this differently because for the battles I play tables are pretty big (more than a 4ft by 4ft table).
    So which then would make me have to agree with you.
    Most people play on bigger than 4'X 4' tables. Even on a full sized 6' X 4' table a plasma cannon will do just fine at taking out infantry, especially since people seem to enjoy Deep Striking so much.

Katie D

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

I', a BA player, we can't field 5-man las-plas squads anymore. To tell the truth I have never really enjoyed it either. I play at 6x4 or 8x4 boards 98 times out of 1000 often with 2000k+ points. I would say; take as many 10-man squads as possible, if you are using some expensive heavy weapons in the squads (lascan or plascan) split the squad for fire support and assault.

Mostly I relly on assault speeders, tanks, and sometimes a 10-man devestator squad to get my heavy weapon platforms.
    Blood Angels
    Tau

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never been a fan of heavy weapons in my tactical squads. To me, they are my battle brothers to lead the cleansing by getting in there and getting their hands dirty, so I like to keep my heavy weapons teams to static devastator squads, or using vehicles.

I think having to decide each turn whether to move or fire based on firing only one weapon can restrict tactical squads effectiveness or lead to indecision (although maybe that's just my dithering, ha)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial Smart View Post
    I've never been a fan of heavy weapons in my tactical squads. To me, they are my battle brothers to lead the cleansing by getting in there and getting their hands dirty, so I like to keep my heavy weapons teams to static devastator squads, or using vehicles.

I think having to decide each turn whether to move or fire based on firing only one weapon can restrict tactical squads effectiveness or lead to indecision (although maybe that's just my dithering, ha)
    Amen to that, i have similar problems with my own Squads, (probably why i also failed i can never truly decide wether to move in on the objective and lose some firepower or to stay shooting and risk losing an objective...

And now that i've read this, im going to have to take careful decisions as to who if any of my Tactical squads will have Heavy Weaps... although, buying an extra Squad will allow me to replace a dude if i choose not to, still leaving me with my Big Guns if i need them

Shaabhekh :happy:
    In the name of the Emperor and for the Glory of the Imperium... Gimme Back My Girlfriend! :(

+ Reply to Thread