GKT with Thunder Hammers? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GKT with Thunder Hammers?

Just wondering if anyone ever uses them? I tend to run obscenely large units of GKTs with my grandmaster (around 7 of em! haha), Sometimes it works sometimes they get pwnd. Anyway after playing DH for almost a year I just noticed that i can give some of them Thunder Hammers and Storm Shields for no extra cost. Dunno how I missed it but i did haha. Anyway I'm thinking maybe 1 or 2 hidden hammers could cause some pain and the 4+ invul could come in handy if the unit gets down to them and the GM (who i give Icon of the Just to). But yeah has any of you tried them out before? If so how did they work out for you? and how would you recommend making the models?

Thanks!

40k armies
    Imperial Guard-3,250pts
    Blood Angels-2,000pts
    Daemon Hunters-2,000pts

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

qsd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x2)

Sometimes I include a TH/SS termie. Its useful when you have to face high toughness opponents, plus it can instant-kill a lot of characters. I think that its good, but I just wouldn't go around making whole squads of them.
    __
    Recently, I've been trying to convert one, and this is what I've done:
    I took a GKT sword arm, and cut off the hand/sword part. Then, I cut out the hand with the hammer from a regular SM Assault Termie. This will go in the Nemesis weapon's place.
    For the Storm Shield, I cut off everything beyond the shoulder guard from the storm bolter arm, then filled in the space with part of an Assault Termie arm w/ the Storm Shield.

I suggest using a hobby saw or something for the metal parts. I used the regular clippers, but it took a while.
    Green stuff will also probably be needed, since the parts aren't all an exact fit.
    There is no such thing as a plea for innocence in my court. A plea for innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
    - Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

well if you are taking squads of 6+ I would say have atleast 1-2 TH+SS guys, this will help a lot vs MCs and dreads, and also will help vs ICs as will give you instant death attacks for most of them.
    - You must set fire to water or you will be extinguished.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On another note, the thunder hammer in the daemonhunters armoury is worded differently to that of the space marine codex. You may not attack until the END of the next round of close combat. I would take this as, after the next assault phase has ended, the model struck by it may attack. although i could be wrong :CBut if I am right even more reason to take em
    Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kuja View Post
    On another note, the thunder hammer in the daemonhunters armoury is worded differently to that of the space marine codex. You may not attack until the END of the next round of close combat. I would take this as, after the next assault phase has ended, the model struck by it may attack. although i could be wrong :CBut if I am right even more reason to take em
    In mine it says that if the model you attacked isn't killed outright then IT (not you) may not attack till end of next turn.

I wonder if you have the first print DH Codex, so that may be why yours is different to mine.
    My one states it quite clearly.

On the subject...I have an Elite GKT Squad that I have tooled out for AT duties.
    My BC has a Chainfist/NFW and I put a TH&SS Termi in there as well, to ensure that whatever gets hit stays hit. I DS them in and they usually destroy something nice and juicy before getting tied up in c/c, and they do okay there as well.
    Last edited by Diddlysquat; February 12th, 2008 at 08:59.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    208 (x5)

In my Witch Hunters I have a tiny allied squad of 3 GKTs. I gave one of them a thunder hammer (using the big mace from the Dark Angel's veterans box) and put an incinerator on his other arm.

They work pretty well, the incinerator burns assault threats and I usually deepstrike them and thunder hammer the backs of tanks. Also if I have to lose one guy (because there's only three of them) I take off Mr. Ordinary NFW/SB and that way I keep both my incinerator and my thunder hammer a bit longer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

A TH/SS GKT is a good addition in most cases. You might not miss a couple of storm bolter shots a turn, but when its time to swing that big hammer you wont be sorry.

To convert mine, I shaved the incinerator off the arm from the GKT boxed set and stuck a shield from the SM HQ box set onto it. Pretty simple really as the shield will cover any rough edges any way.
    For the hammer, cut the top off of the halbard just above the little power hilt thingy and stick on a hammer head from the SM TH or it is pretty easy to make a hammer head out of green stuff.
    It's worth a krak!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

You can make them right out of the Assault Terminator box. I think that this is the way to go because you get 5 for $50. I made the faces by clipping it off until it was in the shape of a GK helm, then I smoothed it over with Greenstuff and added some details into the mask.

These are WIP, and I plan on adding the Inquisition books on their belts like the metal figures have. These don't look too great close up, but they work well for the tabletop. Hope this helps!

-Spaar

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w25/spaareg/GKT.jpg
    Last edited by Katie Drake; February 13th, 2008 at 20:33.
    Currently Playing:
    Fantasy: Daemons (Angels), 40k: Black Templars

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diddley, Yes of course i meant they can not attack mistake on my behalf.

But in the SM codex they may not attack untill after Initiative 1 models have struck, instead of not attacking at all.
    Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, I never realized how much more detail the metal GKT models have compared to the standard Terminator models until I saw that photo. It looks like you have a lot of green stuff work ahead of you.

I bought a metal TH arm with the last batch of bits and models I bought from GW Online before they closed it down. It doesn't look particularly difficult to use with the standard GKT body. I will need to file down the shoulder guard a bit to get it to the proper size and then use green stuff to shape it like the genuine arm. I haven't decided what to do for the shield yet, but after looking at this heap of unpainted minis, I have a bit of time. :rofl

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. February 12th, 2008, 18:32