Bring out your cheese - Competitive Guard at 2000 points - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bring out your cheese - Competitive Guard at 2000 points

Just like the title says: design the most effective 2000 point Guard army. It must be able to win against other win-at-all-costs armies. Hopefully my theory about the lack of cheese available to guard is wrong.One other entirely secondary consideration is the ease of play - this list should be able to finish a game in two hours, and play well on a 6' by 4' table. In other words, the list would be played in a tournament setting, so things like time, table size, and objectives should be taken into consideration.Remember, there are no points for composition or fluff, just winning.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    169 (x4)

i think some consider the guard in general cheesy, though i'm not saying they are. but my last trip home saw a standard 1500 list of 80-90 guardsmen and 4-5 tanks go about 24-1-2 doing normal missions on a regularly set-up board.

now, if you mean are there things we can exploit specifically that are available on the army list there really isn't much out of what players usually take; it's not like some other armies where you can min/max on assault cannons (or the old eldar and starcannons). but in general, just taking a balanced imperial guard army in and of itself is competitive enough for most other lists to contend with. w/ the large amount of gun-troops we can put on the board combined with 3-4 tanks with av14 pointing at the enemy's guns. IMO, at most, specializing your guard list towards a specific theme/playstyle opposed to the guard norm tends to give the enemy more of a chance to beat you.

well sometimes it just feels like the more guard infantry you bring, the better you'll do (i think someone else once posted that a tendency of the more veteran guard players is moving towards all-infantry armies).
    Last edited by Certs; February 19th, 2008 at 01:15.

...A blog that's mostly about Infinity, but sometimes other stuff too.

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

All infantry gunline led by Creed. Toss an honorifica on a JO somewhere too in cast you face someone with a lot of templates and need to spread out. Couldn't be simpler. The 'optimal' balance of las/missile to heavy bolters is debatable, but it's mostly academic. Some people take a Basilisk or two with indirect, which can be handy if you need to deal with someone hiding on an objective.

Only challenge is painting them all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by: InquisitorAffe
    Only challenge is painting them all.
    I feel the pain man.....

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Its pretty simple to cheese out a guard army.

Here's a list of a couple of things you can include in 2000 points.

1: 7 Deep striking demolition charges. This includes 2 cheap as chips special weapon support squads, and 5 last chancer sub units.

2: All officers (bar, maybe, one) are JO's, with 4 plasma guns, also deepstriking.

3: An infantry platoon, maybe heavy bolters/autocannons/missile launchers and plasmaguns, so that you can also take

4: A 50 man conscript squad, with an attached independant commissar. Give these guys flamers, or, especially if you are in a cityfight tournament where you have the ammo dump stratagem, give 'em 5 heavy bolters instead. Choice! (they have to kill 45 conscripts before they start hitting the heavy bolters, especially if the one officer you don't deepstrike has a standard bearer and Iron Discipline). Who cares if they have BS2, with the lasguns they are better than standard guardsmen (i'm serious), and with the heavy bolters its still a lot of dakka.

5: At least 2 basilisks with indirect fire. One in each corner, if you can safely manage it.

Oh, and 6: Dont forget to take min max plasma vet squads and deepstrike them too.

Then you can start the filler.

There's also this option:

1) Take a JO with a standard bearer. Give him a mortar. Take 2 mortar heavy weapon teams.

2) Take another JO, this time part of a heavy weapons platoon. Give him a mortar, and take 3 mortar support squads.

3) Repeat step 2 another 2 times. Tally so far: 37 mortars, 15 scoring units. And you are still under 1000 points.

4) Take a bunch of sentinels with lascannons/multilasers, deepstrike these things if you have to. You need some anti-tank guns.

5) Take whatever troop choices you want. If you feel like it, do the conscript thing, its always fun no matter the army. In fact, why dont you also take the 7 deepstriking demolition charges, if you can fit it in. :party:

Only hindrance might be finishing in 2 hours, but I sure you can find a way around that problem...that and the fact that you will be really making your opponent angry with all those scatter shots, but hey.

Enjoy!

(I guess my point is, guard CAN be cheesy, should you think about it just a little!)
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

Some good stuff there cadaver. Unfortunately there are lots of ways of taking that army down. Simply deepstrike yourself, Chaos fast assault units and you are done. Thats just the first problem I thought.

Also you said that conscripts are better than guardsmen with lasrifles? Please explain this logic. For the points conscripts, guardsmen and vets all cause the same lasrifle damage.

A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

Some good stuff there cadaver. Unfortunately there are lots of ways of taking that army down. Simply deepstrike yourself, Chaos fast assault units and you are done. Thats just the first problem I thought.
    If you can come up with a legal army that is completely and totally unbeatable, I'll be massively impressed.

Also you said that conscripts are better than guardsmen with lasrifles? Please explain this logic. For the points conscripts, guardsmen and vets all cause the same lasrifle damage.
    I'm assuming that what he means is the volume of fire put out by conscripts outweighs the slightly more skillful fire of a regular guardsman on a per point basis.
    I think you need to spend more time on your floor.

2500 Black Templars
    7-3-3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Point for point a fearless 52 wound squad is pretty effective.
    What do you call a lasgun with a laser sight?

Twin-Linked

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix1776 View Post
    Point for point a fearless 52 wound squad is pretty effective.
    Yeah that too!

Still, I can't get over the fact that grots... GROTS have a better BS than conscripts.
    I think you need to spend more time on your floor.

2500 Black Templars
    7-3-3

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

but point for point a guardsman is actually exactly the same and so is a vet. conscripts are worse when it comes to the other weapons as they pay even more!
    TBH you have same chance per point so its just more flesh!

A

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast