Sniper Rifle Help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sniper Rifle Help

My Scout squad (armed with 4 sniper rifles and a missile launcher) seems to be getting a whomping as of late. They never seem to be effective or make the kind of impact that I want them to.
    How does the collective board use these weapons. Where are they effective, where do they lack, Who should they target etc. Are they worth the points or did i just waste my money on the squad???

EDIT: Sorry if this has been answered already, I did a search and couldn't come up with anything

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a similar squad -with a heavy bolter instead of the missile launcher- and I can't say that they normally gain their points back. What they do is forcing the opponent to take pinningtests, and annoy him enough to prioritize them instead of say, the devastator squad.

I use them to hit command squads and elite units as much as possible.
    "The ones with lingon och skit" - Andusciassus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

They should be used more as a harassment unit than something that will cause massive casualties.
    If I run a sniper squad it will be 8 Snipers and a Heavy Bolter.
    Try to keep these guys in cover at all times and avoid moving if possible. These guys are more expensive than bolter marines and not as tough, so you need to be careful not to give your opponent free points.
    Don't expect too many casualties against MEQs as they will make there saves most of the time.
    If I get 2 MEQ casualties a turn, I'm quite happy and I did have one friend that could NEVER make a pinning test, but again, usually they will pass Ld based tests as well.
    The missile launcher is probably out of place unless your go monster hunting with the squad. The Heavy bolter helps to increase the volume of shots coming from the squad.
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    182 (x5)

I use them as you have... They make their points back. I put them near the end of the table with some cover (if any) and start pounding especially HQ selections, Elites, more rarely troops!
    Thanks to all the people showing faith in me

I sometimes feel that everyone will leave me and they will be on their own...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the biggest mistake I made was going after high toughness troops, like warthlords, forgetting that sniper rifles have a terrible AP (DOH!) Does GW make a scout model with a heavy bolter or am I looking at some conversion work?

UnderWater Ninja-Tiger .. Xpyre35's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel50000 View Post
    I think the biggest mistake I made was going after high toughness troops, like warthlords, forgetting that sniper rifles have a terrible AP (DOH!) Does GW make a scout model with a heavy bolter or am I looking at some conversion work?
    Yes they do. I've had a couple ordered from my local shop, they are in the catalog. And they aren't terribly expensive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are best used against models with super high toughness and a 4+ save or worse. Things like C'Tan, The Eldar Avatar, and Greater Demons.

Edit: We just had a discussion on this a few days ago. Here is the link:

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...confusion.html

+ Reply to Thread