Assassins - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Assassins

Toy Soldier Aficionado Wolf Guard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

I was just curious to see if anyone still uses them. If you do I would love to know which temple and which army you throw them into.

There's no need to double-post. If you've forgotten to add something you can just use the Edit function. - Katie D

If you don't use them it is ok to just say "Ah he is a mad man for proposing it"

Last edited by Katie Drake; February 24th, 2008 at 23:23.
    The Wolf time is upon us!
    Rep for the Rep God! Positive for the Positive Throne!
    Armies: Space Wolves, Imperial Guard, Emperors Children, Necrons, Eldar

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

qsd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x2)

Depending on what I feel like doing, the ones I'll use are:
    -Eversor
    -If I'm using DH or WH, then sometimes I take the Eversor, along with 2+ Death Cults.
    -Callidus
    -Culexus - Only if I'm playing against a generally low-Ld army, and using a WH Inquisitor Lord w/ Divine Pronouncement and/or Purgatus.

I actually have a Vindicare too, but I don't really use him anymore because I usually would rather spend the points elsewhere.
    There is no such thing as a plea for innocence in my court. A plea for innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
    - Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I myself was toying with the idea of a Vindicare for an Adeptus Arbites force, for fluff reasons. Sniper to take out riot leaders, etc.
    "Dear Diary: Today I may of accidentally registered myself as a sex offender. WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY LIFE!" - Dinosaur Comics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

This might sound like a silly question, but which codex do you need to use an assassin?
    My blog - http://wingsofsanguinius.blogspot.com
    Been here nearly 10 years and still haven't managed 500 posts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    208 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Lietatus View Post
    This might sound like a silly question, but which codex do you need to use an assassin?
    You need either the Witch Hunters or Daemon Hunters Codex, they both have the same rules.

Be warned though, you also need to take an allied Inquisitor Lord (with retinue) to unlock the assassin which, even if he has no upgrades and minimal henchmen, is going to cost you a fair whack of points. Expect that allying an assassin will in total cost you close to 200 points at least.

There are some useful builds for the =I= Lord though, (which will cost even more) but he is generally considered to be pretty expensive for what you get.

Sucks, I know. That's why assassins work much better in =I= armies than allied to guard or space marines.

Monkey Pirate Greenbeard The Ex-pirate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are very expensive when it gets down to it. I have a few assassin models I use almost exclusively for Apocalypse sized games where 300 points really doesn't matter to much.

When you get down to it the only time you should consider taking an assassin with guard is when you have about 300 odd points to burn. Everything they can do ( with some exceptions) can be managed with guard models. Eversore assassins are close combat monsters... so to is a squad of conscripts lead by an independent commissar with a power fist.

Vindicare assassins can kill individuals... Leman Russ demolishers can kill whole packs of tough individuals

Celluxes assassins... well we can't really do that... but we could always hit the psyker with a lascannon or three, tends to work just as well.

Callidus well to be honest I don't know that I have actually used mine, under the old old codex assassins these things where nasty, now they feel almost mediocre. The word in your ear is pretty cool, but the having to ( i think can't remember quite right at the moment) disengage from combat makes me scratch my beard. Yes... I want to jump away all of like what d6 inches so you can shoot me a second time! granted this is a different story if your playing like i dunno nids and theres hoards of stuff really close together...

Unless the game is approaching oh say 3k or over you should think long and hard about taking that inquisitor lord and assassin, just think " How many heavy weapons am I missing out on because of this?"
    Rheagar fought nobly
    Rheagar fought valiantly
    Rheagar fought honorably
    And Rheagar died.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    208 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard The Ex-pirate View Post
    Callidus well to be honest I don't know that I have actually used mine, under the old old codex assassins these things where nasty, now they feel almost mediocre. The word in your ear is pretty cool, but the having to ( i think can't remember quite right at the moment) disengage from combat makes me scratch my beard. Yes... I want to jump away all of like what d6 inches so you can shoot me a second time! granted this is a different story if your playing like i dunno nids and theres hoards of stuff really close together...

Unless the game is approaching oh say 3k or over you should think long and hard about taking that inquisitor lord and assassin, just think " How many heavy weapons am I missing out on because of this?"
    I'm pretty sure that the Callidus Jump Back ability is a "may" not a "must". You don't have to jump back.

Even in this edition the Callidus is the best assassin, but she's pricey so Eversor is pretty awesome in terms of efficiency. The other two I think are a bit of a waste outside of an =I= army, unless you just want them for fluff in which case knock yourself out.

Both of these two assassins (Callidus and Eversor) are great in my experience for psyching out your opponent. Actually that's one of the only good reasons for taking assassins - they tend to freak people out because of their reputation and rarity. I mean Callidus can deep strike without scattering and then move and fight normally, not to mention messing with your enemy's deployment. And Eversor can assault on the first turn and blows up when you kill him. Nuff said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kahoolin View Post
    You need either the Witch Hunters or Daemon Hunters Codex, they both have the same rules.

Be warned though, you also need to take an allied Inquisitor Lord (with retinue) to unlock the assassin which, even if he has no upgrades and minimal henchmen, is going to cost you a fair whack of points. Expect that allying an assassin will in total cost you close to 200 points at least.

There are some useful builds for the =I= Lord though, (which will cost even more) but he is generally considered to be pretty expensive for what you get.

Sucks, I know. That's why assassins work much better in =I= armies than allied to guard or space marines.

I Don't know about teh Witch Hunters, but Daemon Hunters don't need to take an Inquisitor Lord with retinue. You can take just an Inquisitor Lord, or even just a plain old Inquisitor. But either way, that's still another HQ/Elites slot being used and another Xpts that you're taking only so you can take an Assassin, I'd prefer to use those points on more men lol. But I do use teh Vindicare Assassin on occaisions, and I have to admit, while the Inquisitor sat around and twiddled his thumbs, the Assassin did a good job (this one time, at band camp, he blew apart an Aspiring Champion and caused them to make pinning...the 9-man squad failed it's pinning test and sat there doing nothing, 3" away from my Storm Troopers who were holding the objective that were going to win the game for me lol).

Cheers,
    Scott
    I like my women how I like my coffee! In a plastic cup! - Eddie Izzard

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Guard View Post
    I was just curious to see if anyone still uses them. If you do I would love to know which temple and which army you throw them into.

There's no need to double-post. If you've forgotten to add something you can just use the Edit function. - Katie D

If you don't use them it is ok to just say "Ah he is a mad man for proposing it"
    I do - I love my Vindicate - I play an armour heavy list and love stripping Lascannons out of squads. He may not make his points back in kills if you put them all next to him at the end of the game, but how many of you points did he keep alive?
    Never forget the pinning test - all kinds of mischeif there.

I also have an Inquisitor to accompany him - and what else are you doing with your second command choice? You're a guardsman.
    So, that's:
    Access to a psychic hood, the emperors Tarot (+1 on the going first roll? look at the cost. hmm hard choice ahead...) and in a rhino with a few chums a plausible counter assault squad (Please note if your henchmen are killed the stat increase they give stays - and there's ones there that do WS, Init, BS etc.)
    Heck, mystics in pairs slaughter drop troops (psycannons? not a bad weapon choice if you aren't doing a shooty inquisitor)
    Things to note - Your Str & Toughness blow. check mixed unit armour rules.

Monkey Pirate Greenbeard The Ex-pirate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stayscrunchyinmilk View Post
    I also have an Inquisitor to accompany him - and what else are you doing with your second command choice? You're a guardsman.
    Could always take some last chancers
    Rheagar fought nobly
    Rheagar fought valiantly
    Rheagar fought honorably
    And Rheagar died.

+ Reply to Thread