Terminators - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Terminators

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x1)

Terminators

Can anyone help with advice about using GK Terminators. I have a Brother Captain with Psycannon and a retinue of 4 Terminators, 1 with a Psycannon.

Up to now they have been utterley useless, never getting close to earning their points back and seemingly dying before doing any real good.

I know a small unit can be great, so I am obviously doing something wrong.

Any advice would be most grateful and my Terminators will be grateful as well 8Y

Last edited by dinodeanpostcat; February 26th, 2008 at 18:29. Reason: minor spelling alterations

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    135 (x4)

Well, it's really going to depend on how you're using them, and how they fit with the rest of your list. How have you used them in the past, and with what general army setup? I know the list you've got up on the Army List subforum is basically the Terminator squad, two LRs, and three largish squads of GKs. Is this the army setup you've used them with in the past? What sorts of targets are you engaging with them? Are you deep striking them? Footslogging? Are they in cover, long-range, short range, etc? I'm just trying to get a feel for what's not working for you, so we can try and figure out something else to try =).

[edit: Also, how do they tend to die? Are they getting swamped by hordes, elite CC troops? Maybe getting ordnance dropped on their heads?]

-H
    Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.
    -George Orwell

www.drmcninja.com
    If you're intruiged by doctors who are also ninjas, then this is the webcomic for you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x1)

Lots of questions so I'll try to answer them as best I can.

1. In the past they were used with two squads of PAGK on foot, 1 squad of PAGK as fast attack, a shooty Inquisitor retinue and two Dreadnoughts with TLLC + ML.

2. I tried a combination of foot slogging and deep striking. At a doubles tournament my friend and I decided they all suffered from air sickness they were so bad when deep striking.

3. I tend to try to use cover to close down potential LOS to limit shooting between the target and the Terminators. They are rarely, if ever, placed in cover due to their saves.

4. They were never swamped by hordes, they just seemed to go down to lots of small arms fire. With 2+ saves, if you get enough wounds you are bound to shake some 1's (6 wounds = 1 dead Terminator).

5. I try to get them into close combat seeing as that is what makes them stand out above regular PAGK. But my opponents know this and open fire on them with seemingly everything.

Hence the Land Raiders as they give opponents a lot more to think about. It seemed to me that opponents just ignored the PAGK, taking out the Dreadnoughts and then the Terminators. They then pick on the PAGK at their leisure.

The only time they kind of worked was when I fielded 6 Death Cult Assassins and an Eversor. My opponent was so fixated by these that they kind of took their eye off the Terminators. This combination was great, with the Death Cultists easily killing over twice their points cost, with 2 remaining on the board at the end.

I hope this helps people to offer me some sound tactical advice. I really need to step up my tactical decisions as I don't want to be hammered at the upcoming tournaments.

Thanks for any / all advice.
    Last edited by dinodeanpostcat; February 26th, 2008 at 23:54. Reason: minor spelling changes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    135 (x4)

Well, it doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong. My main thought is that they shouldn't be falling to small arms fire if you're using them out towards maximum psycannon range. At these ranges, the Shrouding should negate about 40-50% of incoming fire, if I remember the probabilities correctly. And anything that's shooting at them and fails to spot them loses their turn to shoot. Furthermore, they should be operating outside the range of most infantry, so maybe you need to pay more attention to your Terminators' position. If your opponent devotes enough firepower to take the terminators out at these ranges, you should be happy he's wasting about half of it, allowing the rest of your army to go about their business unscathed.

One note on your current army list, though. Unless you footslog that one Grey Knight fast attack squad, your terminators are going to be the only thing on the board that can be hurt with weapons weaker than strength 8. Which means that the majority of the guns on the table will be trained on them =(. There's not a whole lot you can do about it though, short of taking the squad out entirely. So, try to capitalize on their footmobility, range, and the shrouding to preserve them.

Wish I could give you more help -- maybe someone else has some other ideas?

[edit: Forgot to mention: there's almost no reason to deep strike the dakka-style squad. You're going to want them on the table from the get-go. No reason I can see to miss out on 1-3 (depending on your luck) rounds of shooting.]

-H
    Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.
    -George Orwell

www.drmcninja.com
    If you're intruiged by doctors who are also ninjas, then this is the webcomic for you!

+ Reply to Thread