Lascannon - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lascannon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lascannon

Do you feel that the lascannon is better in line squads or in groups as anti-tank units. Thanks for any advice.

Joe

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm...

That depends, do you want your standard squads to be static of mobile? If you don't plan on moving them much you can ad a LC onto a standard squad, or if you want your troops to be mobile, then you'd give them to an anti-tank support squad.

Personally, I would leave them in the support squads, as I prefer more mobile (and cheaper) infantry squads.

Cherrio

EDITED
    Last edited by Simmo1991; March 4th, 2008 at 22:19. Reason: Spell checking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is an interesting topic, and one I'd even like to see as a poll. It is something I haven't made my mind up on yet mysel.

In my opinion, they're better in anti-tank squads for several reasons. First, the Sharpshooter doctrine can be relatively cheaply applied to the anti-tank squad, and given that they're single shot weapons, they're worth squeezing everything out of them you can.

Secondly, and more importantly, what is of issue when the enemy is close by is what you're using the squads for. When the enemy is between 48 and 24 inches away, its not a problem what to shoot at - you target whatever you want really dead, especially armour, with your lascannons. But what about when the enemy's squads get closer? Then you'll want your infantry squads shooting at them with their torrent of ineffective (but sometimes effective haha!) lasgun fire. I generally use infantry squads with a plasma gun and a heavy bolter - anti infantry more or less (you can make an argument that a grenade launcher is better for anti-infantry work, but plasma is just too useful in my opinion) This of course assumes you're wanting to move your infantry squad around a little bit.

I use 6 lascannons in 2 squads in my games of 1500 pts or over, and they're worth every point payed, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

I use Lascannons in anti-tank support squads as to put them in infantry squads would waste lasguns and special weapons. Also, lascannons are 10 points more then a missile launchers in infantry squads so these would generally be better choices for anti tank in infantry (I however use heavy bolter and plasma for infantry killyness).

Monkey Pirate Greenbeard The Ex-pirate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always keep my heavy weapons in my line squads. (Normally these are missile launchers) The simple reason is it prolongs their life. Its very easy for most armies to make a target priority test and shoot anti tank squads lurking behind your line squads. With only 3 wounds, you have 3 wounds before your precious heavy weapons start dieing. Now with your line squads you have 9, and even if an entire squad is taken out you still have more where the one came from. Now if your enemy is fast, or has decent barrage/ ordi weapons the survivability dilemma becomes even tougher for anti tank squads.

Example, a friend of mine and me switched armies for a game he played as my guard with a list of his own design keeping all of his lascannons in 3 teams of 6. Using Necrons I was able to kill them all before my monolith even showed up.

Keeping your heavy weapons separate from your line squads is sort of like placing all your eggs in one basket. There are now only 2-5 targets on the table that are a serious threat to your tanks, as opposed to the 10 you could have.
    Rheagar fought nobly
    Rheagar fought valiantly
    Rheagar fought honorably
    And Rheagar died.

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

I usually put them in command squads first and then into infantry squads if I feel I need more. Anti-Tank squads present too much VP density to the enemy, and 10 man infantry squads waste too much potential damage output if all they shoot at is a tank.

Monkey Pirate Greenbeard The Ex-pirate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InquisitorAffe View Post
    I usually put them in command squads first and then into infantry squads if I feel I need more. Anti-Tank squads present too much VP density to the enemy, and 10 man infantry squads waste too much potential damage output if all they shoot at is a tank.
    See now there I disagree. From my experience the infantry squads usually can not shoot anything else. Especially in opening turns their 24 inch guns are complete bunk if you use your deployment zone correctly. A fire turn maelstrom of las cannon shots (hopefully) will damage tanks in such a way that you can move on to other targets-as they get into range.

If your playing a static gun line (like me) it tends to break down into a matter of range increments and when you start directing fire to different units. Lets say you have 1 Leman Russ, 1 Demolisher a basilisk and oh 10 las cannons a plasma guns in infantry squads. Now when you deploy hopefully you can deploy in such a way that your opponent is at least 36-48 inches away, this is a perfectly ideal scenario. Likely hood of happening next to nil. So lets say your all of 24 inches away from the front lines of your opponent. With a static gun line you have to pick and choose your targets very carefully, fast stuff always should draw the brunt of your fire, closest first then work back. Now before i loose it on this little shpeel if you look at the way your deployed there should be no way that ALL of your las cannon line squads are with in 24 inches to ping them with plasma/ las fire. These shots get directed to tanks terminators pesky battle suits (if your lucky enough to see them) hive tyrants.... you get the idea. Now on top of all this you have a Leman Russ that can pick off targets that are even further back, and a basilisk for stuff that the Russ can't even reach. The trick is to make sure you fire with the longest ranged stuff first, this way you can save your las guns (a seriously under estimated gun, good for you, bad for the fool who challenges you) for the stuff that is moving at you.

I know that was a little excessive but its been eating at me for a while now that so many people seem like they are resigned to lose just for playing guard.
    Rheagar fought nobly
    Rheagar fought valiantly
    Rheagar fought honorably
    And Rheagar died.

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by joevictory View Post
    Do you feel that the lascannon is better in line squads or in groups as anti-tank units. Thanks for any advice.

Joe
    Neither. Hardened Vets infiltrate and have a BS4. They have bodies for the meat shield, but don't make a line squad static.
    Or, Shaeffers 2xman Lascannon teams are being toyed with. (The other BS4 HW option.)
    I do have 2 that fit on my sentinals mind (changeable weaponry) - It's not that bad a cost and there are advantages on it being a vehicle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

I have only recently put my lascannons into ATS squads. I also give them infiltrate and chem inhalers to increase their survivability.
    Ive done this with the intention that two of these squads could take out most if not all opposition tanks within two turns and sometimes one turn at 1500pts.
    Sometimes they wont make their points back against cheap tanks or transports, but their role is to support my tanks, that are more than capable of wiping out infantry, without the threat of other heavy tanks.

Also, Lascannons are the only weapons that do not cost more by putting them into an HQ support squad... infact, you get the 6 guardsmen for one point cheaper too.

I think that both will work as long as you know how to use them effectively.
    It's worth a krak!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

funny how these things come around, last time for this one in any serious was I think 2004,

there are arguements both ways, putting AT weaoponry into line squads affords them better protection and the ability for each LC to target different things, however it tends to waste a lot of your fire power

there is no panacea, it is dependent on what army you face and what else is in your army as much as anything else
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast