Space wolf army tips? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Space wolf army tips?

I was thinking about starting a space wolf army. I love the models and i love the novels and the idea behind them.

I was wondering if there are any pointers? im looking for a non-mechanized list, foot soldiers heavy and a dread or 2. Any ideas on what i should be on the lookout to buy?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The army box for space wolves is a great deal IMO. And buy a rune priest, his psy power has been invaluable in the games ive played so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

As far as the HQ's go, its going to be a matter of preference since many of us wolf players are different. (Lizardkyng recognising the rune priest as invaluable where I would say never to use him and take a wolf priest instead.)

The space wolf battleforce would definately be a good place to start though, I don't think it comes with any transports so won't interfere with your plans of non mechanized.

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Should be fun - i've always had a soft spot for wolves.

As a warning though, the least successful space wolves armies I know have always been mostly comprised of footsloggers - they just dont tend to make it over to the other side of the board.

Not to say that your force won't be successful, just that its a good idea to mix it up a little with some fast moving stuff, such as landspeeders and bikes, especially if you don't want to take rhinos and/or razorbacks.

There's a thread around here that discusses this aspect of a wolves army, well, a little anyway -

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...iend-need.html
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

or you could just use drop pods??? its technically not mechanized and it gets you to the other side of the boared very fast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

drop pods i was planning on, but if i decide not to take them i was wondering if there were any other ideas. I guess a rhino wouldnt hurt, i was aiming more at i dont really want bikes or landspeeders or tanks. A transport isnt really mechanized in my eyes cause it doesnt really shoot. I just wanted to be foot soldier heavy. And so a battleforce and a rune priest or wolf lord. will do.

Thanks for the help, now i only have to get the money and paint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would Just keep in Mind

Just remember that you can not assault out of transports. Now this might not hurt you depending on what type of Space Wolf army you take. If your going to use Grey Hunters then it won't be to bad. Even Blood Claws won't be that bad, just so long as you keep in mind that you can't assault on the same turn you get out of a transport (including drop pods)

Also remember Rhinos aren't the sturdiest tanks out there. So if you do use them, and you aren't going to take any other tanks for your opponents anti-tank guns to shot at, make sure you use plenty of them. Flood your opponent with targets just like with your Tyrinids.

Of course using transports is better than foot slogging it in my opinion ;Y

I'm probably the lest experienced with Space Wolves on this thread, so take what you will from my advice, lol

Nate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
    The space wolf battleforce would definately be a good place to start though, I don't think it comes with any transports so won't interfere with your plans of non mechanized.
    The Battleforce contains Blood Claws, Grey Hunters, some Bikers, and a Rhino. But it still may be worth it.

I'm building a Wolves army as well -- and while I haven't actually fielded them yet (or purchased any models) but I think that both the Rune Priest and Scouts are invaluable to the Wolves.

Don't forget, the Rune Priest can create cover around any unit he wants... which can be amazing for CC.

But from all the battle reports I've read, it seems like non-mech Wolves are very weak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

13th Company is THE way to go if you do not want any mech. 13th Company Space Wolf list can be downloaded and printed for official use and uses the Space Wolves codex for armoury stuff. The lsit is also in the Eye of Terror codex but thaat is harder to find and the pdf is free and legit for all play up to tourny. Space Wolves are a fun army to play for sure! THe battleforce is a good deal. Blood Claw Bikers are wicked if used properly, especially if joined by a character on a bike.

Pay not attention to the awards those are a few from my IG army.

My record with wolves is worse than my guard because i almost exclusively play to win with an unbalanced guard list. My space wolves are purely for fun and I try different things. With that being said.

What to avoid with Space Wolves:
    Leman Russ Exterminator (i would only take it for a list that had a ton of ranged anti-tank. This way you have a really cool infantry shredder)

Fast attack Blood Claws with Jump Packs (fragile, can't take grenades, lowerd skills. stick to Blood Claw Bikers)

Iron Priest (you will have plenty of character without adding that guy. Who is IC with initiative 1 weapon as standard)

Wolf Lord (we don't get rights of battle. and you'll want to use hqs for other characters. Wolf Guard Battle Leaders are far better since we have no items which stop instakill)

Spending too many points on characters (including hidden characters. it's so easy to do with space wolves)

Too many Blood Claw packs as troops (grey hunters are great. blood claws rock but you shouldn't go overboard with them)

Things to look into:
    Wolf Priest: healing potions and balms, fang of morkai(this combo ignores 2 failed saves in a unit per turn plus the ignore 25% shooting casualties. this is because fang of morkai = narthecium reductor and haling potions simple ignores a failed throw)

Rune Priest:his pyschic ability is jsut too good and you strike first or at worst the same time in CC.

Space Wolf Venerable Dreadnought: boosted stats and extra attack. re-rolls for first turn. taken as HQ or ELITE.

Blood Claw Bikers: Pack of 3 to 5 is what I find best. Give them 2 fists and a meltagun

HQ Characters on Bikes: expensive but amazing when combined with blood claw bikers.

Grey Hunters: I like 2 or more packs

Drop Pods: we still pay the cheaper space marine dex price for pods. With know no fear, counter attack, true grit, and no matter the odds we were MADE FOR DROP PODS)
    Last edited by Cheredanine; March 6th, 2008 at 11:38.
    Imperial Guard Variants 69/20/9
    Space Wolves 17/16/2
    I.G. Armoured Company 7/3/2
    Deamonhunters 1/2/1
    I.G. BFG 0/1/2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

NTFH, you've almost been here on LO for three years now; we have an edit button to add and remove stuff to our posts for a reason. Double posts are not needed and are supposed to be avoided except for certain cases.

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast