Tech Marine Tips? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy
 

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!


Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    26
    Posts
    53
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    3 (x1)

    Tech Marine Tips?

    So I just got a fancy pants tech marine modle, with full servo harness for a painting comp. I was reading up on the sucker and he seemed pretty cool, some iteresting rules. I especially like the power weapon, and power fist attacks.

    But downsides, he's got a monsterous two wounds... So He needs a boost. If I take scion of mars he can take a commanders place, but can he then take a command squad? Or is he still stuck with those mindless drooling servitors. I need help, cuz I really like the fluff to the tech marine, but I'm having trouble finding his place on the feild.


  2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    28
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    1 (x1)

    Unfortunately the only retinue allowed to him is 0-4 Servitors. However he is an IC so you could put him with whatever unit you want as long as you don't take any servitors. If you want to give your Tech Marine a boost I suggest making him an HQ choice and putting him on a bike to give him T 4(5). Also, Tech Marines are usually most effective when put with Dreadnoughts. Hope this helps

  4. #3
    Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,633
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

    Quote Originally Posted by ricochetops View Post
    Unfortunately the only retinue allowed to him is 0-4 Servitors. However he is an IC so you could put him with whatever unit you want as long as you don't take any servitors. If you want to give your Tech Marine a boost I suggest making him an HQ choice and putting him on a bike to give him T 4(5). Also, Tech Marines are usually most effective when put with Dreadnoughts. Hope this helps
    Curious about the dreadought comment - some kind of combo I'm not aware of? I know about the whole 'fix it' thing, but that never seems actually worth it in a game as far as I know, so yeah, curious?
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

    Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

  5. #4
    Member Calaban's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sandy Eggo
    Age
    45
    Posts
    368
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    177 (x2)

    An alternate use for a techmarine is to make a fancy Devastator squad out of his FOC slot.. by giving him 3 heavy bolter servitors, and a plasma cannon servitor. Hard to believe those mindless servitors are BS4 [grumble grumble], but anyways, the Techies' Signum allows a rerolled miss roll... like a 1 roll for that plascannon guy...

    Its a kindof fluffy, or stylish setup, and certainsly isnt perfect or all powerfull. But its neat.

    Alternatively, you could kit him up for CC (Terminator honors for even +1 MORE attack!), with 4 combat servitors, and pack them into a... well if they had an opened top transport- one of them... because who wouldnt like a unit of 4 powerfists, plus the Big scary servo rig CC monster getting into an assault?

    The only issue is: there are better units for both of those themes: Devastator squads, and Terminator squads. But this isnt about making the best unit at what it could do, It was about putting a Techmarine to work in a characterfull way, right?

    Oh, and I thought that the "Techmarine and Dreadnaught Combo" was the combo where a techmarine litterally dissasemles an enemy dreadnaught in 2 seconds flat... Be it marine or Ork There really autta be a 'technical know how' bonus for a mechanic tearing apart something mechanical...
    Tau

    An elementary particle of the lepton family, having a mass about 3,550 times that of the electron, a negative electric charge, and a mean lifetime of 3 x 10-13 seconds in close combat.

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    36
    Posts
    555
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x2)

    Quote Originally Posted by Calaban View Post
    An alternate use for a techmarine is to make a fancy Devastator squad out of his FOC slot.. by giving him 3 heavy bolter servitors, and a plasma cannon servitor. Hard to believe those mindless servitors are BS4 [grumble grumble], but anyways, the Techies' Signum allows a rerolled miss roll... like a 1 roll for that plascannon guy...

    Its a kindof fluffy, or stylish setup, and certainsly isnt perfect or all powerfull. But its neat.

    Alternatively, you could kit him up for CC (Terminator honors for even +1 MORE attack!), with 4 combat servitors, and pack them into a... well if they had an opened top transport- one of them... because who wouldnt like a unit of 4 powerfists, plus the Big scary servo rig CC monster getting into an assault?
    ...thats a potentially evil vile beardy idea I just had...

    Stick him and his servitor retine into a rhino, have the servitors fire out of the top hatch since I think they have a lower save (I think they're carapace equivalents?)

    Firing out of the top hatch by a non-power armored passenger renders the vehicle open-topped (I believe), thus allowing them to assault from it.

    ...wait, no, it doesn't work, the servitors'd need to fire heavy weapons from the top for it to work, and they can't do that and assault, nuts.

  7. #6
    LO's Resident Time Lord Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New England, USA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,270
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by element9867 View Post
    So I just got a fancy pants tech marine modle, with full servo harness for a painting comp. I was reading up on the sucker and he seemed pretty cool, some iteresting rules. I especially like the power weapon, and power fist attacks.

    But downsides, he's got a monsterous two wounds... So He needs a boost. If I take scion of mars he can take a commanders place, but can he then take a command squad? Or is he still stuck with those mindless drooling servitors. I need help, cuz I really like the fluff to the tech marine, but I'm having trouble finding his place on the feild.
    Yeah, giving him terminator honors is really the only thing I can think of, too. Trouble with the full servo-harness (or, "Doc Oc" as I like to call him) is that it limits your options. I agree with another poster that you could, according to the rules, TECHNICALLY put him on a bike, but come ON people! The thing is WAY too heavy. Ditto for the jump pack, which is another popular suggestion. Yes, you CAN do it, but it borders on silly from a fluff perspective, and you won't be popular with your fellow players. Note: PLEASE don't spam element's thread now with "no it's not unfluffy" posts. I believe it is, and that's all there is to it. Deal.

    Anyway, if you're going the "Doc Oc" route, then the standard way to do it is to have the servitors. I don't think you can do a command squad retinue either, even if you take Scions of Mars, but why would you want to? The weapons loadouts are pretty cool, especially if you use the ever-popular Heavy Bolter/Plasma Cannon combo. Don't like the models? Ok, I'll go with you on that one, but who says you have to use the servitor MODELS? I'm working on some models for a DH Inquisitorial retinue that will be plasma/HB "servitors" but will not look like them. I prefer to find regular human models that carry the guns and, fluffwise, will be my inquisitor's "assistants," with fluff and character descriptions a la Eisenhorn's retinue from the Dan Abnett books.

    Yes, from a WYSIWYG perspective, you have to make sure that, if the servitors don't have a marine's armour save (and I don't think they do, off the top of my head) that you don't simply slap a power-armoured "retinue" into place and call it good. Some tournament rules lawyers will have you for lunch.

    Still, if you wanted to have some REAL fun, it's easy enough to get HB and Plasma Cannon bits these days (just go to TheWarStore.com, if you don't know, and click "BATTLEWAGON BITS"), so just convert some other models. Pretty much anything that looks like an "ordinary" human will do. Might open up some really cool creative doors, and as long as the weapons clearly represent, it's WYSIWYG-compliant.

    If you're going the CC route, it's even easier. You could make some red-robed humans carrying all sorts of wicked CC weapons, spattered with blood, etc.

    Especially if you're going to go CC, you're going to need to move quickly. Yes, there's the (in MY opinion) unfluffy jump pack or bike route, but your servitors can't use them, so if you and the crew want to advance quickly, the only real options are drop pods and razorbacks, both of which don't work super well without other like vehicles (drop pods or Rhinos/razorbacks/predators, respectively) to back you up.

    In short, he's very useable, but it takes planning, like anything else in the army.

    When I finish my base 2,000-point marine army, I'm toying with the idea of making up an alternate build centered around a techmarine HQ and three of the single-arm harness techmarines (or the "one-armed bandits," as I like to call them) filling up the elite slots.
    Last edited by Canew; March 17th, 2008 at 19:01.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

    Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

    The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

    Peace, through superior firepower.

  8. #7
    LO Zealot Guthbrand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,043
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x3)

    He could also go in a land raider if you need him to get somewhere fast. Pretty expensive though.

  9. #8
    Member bannus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    50
    Posts
    216
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    11 (x1)

    Perhaps this will help:

    ++ IRON-FATHER & TECHMARINE ++

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts