Daemonhunters vs Dark Eldar!?! Has anyone EVER won? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daemonhunters vs Dark Eldar!?! Has anyone EVER won?

Hey guys, i'm just wondering what everyone else out there says about Daemonhunters vs Dark Eldar... I played in a tournament last year with 2000 points of Daemonhunters vs a Dark Eldar WWP army, and I got so BADLY beaten I nearly cried! I had 2 landraiders which were gone in the first 2 turns from his sniper squads, and then when the majority of his army came out of the portal they got straight into combat off the skimmers, and my troops barey got the chance to strike back before they were dead coz of the high initiative of Dark Eldar!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

I actually have never lost to DE! I have won twice and drawn once.

Lots of base troops with Psycannons will usually do it. Make sure you pummel the squads that can drop the portals, and keep your troops Baaaaackkkk. Generally speaking DE will beat you in CC, so you need to shoot them first.

Also, Landraider suck vs. Dark/Bright Lances so don't bring them.

It is a game of tactics and good ones will beat Dark Eldar.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

I too have also never lost to dark eldar and only once to eldar for that matter with my grey knights, I actually look forward to facing them over most other armies and have said that the daemonhunter codex should really be named eldarhunter. Like was said just have a lot of PAGK and some GKT with psycannons, unload on the squads with the portals and then just clean up the rest.
    - You must set fire to water or you will be extinguished.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So its just me? I will admit that I had never played a Dark Eldar army before and (Despite having read the codex) didn't really think about staying back... I suspect that it probably would have made a HUGE difference to the game, coz he just got straight into combat and destroyed me before I could shoot, and the game was lost.

As a result of that game I went and bought myself a HUGE Dark Eldar army myself last week from trademe (The ebay of New Zealand) with 7 raiders and more than 200 troops

I'm not sure what would be better in a tournament out of the 2 armies tho...

Insert Witty Comment Here Goblin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    67 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by sepiroth View Post
    So its just me?
    Nope. I have only ever won 1 out of 6 games vs dark elder, but it was when I first got DH. Since then, I havent played DE, but i know that they can be tricky, just keep working at it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats not so bad then. Well i've got my dark eldar army now, I decided that Daemonhunters sucked in tournaments after that one. Unfortunately I had paid my friend 200 bux too paint it and now I need to get my DE painted *Cries*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my experience, it's usually a massacre one way or the other

I've had mixed results against Dark Eldar at tournaments, though admittedly I haven't faced too many and it's been a while since I last faced one. There really aren't too many active DE players here in New Zealand (at least not in the South Island), most of the ones I know now focus on other armies. When I have played against them, a couple of times I've wiped the DE off the table, a couple of times I've been the one wiped off. Mission parameters and table layout can make a big difference which way it goes.

I have to agree with the others here, "stand back and shoot" is the golden rule vs. DE (much like against Tyranids). Psycannons are good for this - on one occasion I sniped my opponent's Archon from across the table with a GK Terminator's Psycannon, bypassing his Shadowfield and inflicting Instant Death

You must not, on any account, allow an Archon with a retinue of Incubi get to combat, because they'll generally wipe out whatever they touch, usually without much (if any) reprisal from the GK's.

In one of my memorable losses I was stuck in a Night Fight (in either a Recon or Take & Hold) and I couldn't roll a spotting test to save myself, so I couldn't shoot down his boats and he got to me. In the other loss that jumps to mind, my opponent had a perfect terrain setup that allowed him to hop his vehicles from cover to cover all the way to my lines, denying me any decent chance to shoot him down. He got to me and wiped me out.

Dark Lances are annoying, believe me I truly hate lance weapons (I typically use an LR and an LRC at 2000pts), but there's really only two options here: don't take LR's (which generally leaves the army unbalanced, not good in a tourney), or just grab your nuts and try and take out the lances before they get you. They'll probably have multiple bright lances, but you can usually use terrain to screen your LR so it doesn't have to face them all at once. Don't forget, every weapon in a GK army is capable of shooting down a Raider, and the heavier Ravager will still fall to Psycannons.
    Commanding Grey Knights since 2003.
    See my army: The Order of the Triune Crusade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As both a Dark Eldar and Daemonhunters player I have a few suggestions that may be useful.
    Dark Eldar weaknesses - guns, guns and more guns (stand and shoot at DE)
    I generally have no vehicles in my 1.5k DH list cept my two dreadnoughts, each with TLLC and 1 with missiles, mainly because they dont take up too many points and do a great job of taking out DE skimmers. Also remember a storm bolter can bring down a raider ;Y. Let DE get close though and you have a small chance of winning. Bring as many guns as you can against them is all I can advise you on. WWP armies generally have 1 big unit carrying a WWP so drop some termies nearby with an incinerator (should do the job) although I have only done that once with a reasonable scatter roll. Also remember DE have str 8 blasters on them sometimes which can be deadly. Reaver jetbikes also hurt if they get close and with 12-24" movement keep any lascannons in clear view of the battlefield. One more thing, DE need cover and screening to effectively play and some units are expendable, usually raiders...

Hope my advice is useful, I have not played many games but I have quite a bit of experience from my losses.
    Dark Eldar - 1000pts
    Daemonhunters - 1500pt

"The Earth is not worthy to touch my feet" - Dark Eldar Scourge

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

I've only played two games against DE, both of them against relative newcomers, so it's difficult for me to gauge, based on my personal experience, what a typical DH/DE matchup should be like. I can say that in both games, I opted to hang back and blast away with stormbolters and psycannons for as long as possible. DE are thin as paper. The only models to make it into close combat with me without hindrance were a handful of wyches -- which did make short work of an 8-strong PAGK squad! -- but otherwise, not a single raider lasted past turn 3, and I shot up virtually everybody else to the point that close combats were easily managed.

It looks to me like the heavier the terrain, the more advantageous the game is to the DE. If they can reach you intact, you're in for a short, bloody loss. I pretended I was playing against an entire army of visible harlequins.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best thing to do in any game if you intimidated and if DE skimmers make you feel uneasy, just imagine that they are flying cardboard boxes and bullets break through cardboard easily. I hope my advice helped :-P
    Dark Eldar - 1000pts
    Daemonhunters - 1500pt

"The Earth is not worthy to touch my feet" - Dark Eldar Scourge

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast