Guard v Marines - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Guard v Marines

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    110 (x4)

Guard v Marines

Hey Guys!

I'm new to using guard, and just getting back in to 40k. Well last night I met with a few mates, and had a 3 v 2, 3000 points per side, on my side were Guard, Eldar and Necron, against Chaos and Marines. It was pretty close game in the end, and ended about 4 this morning with them slightly ahead.

What I was wondering is, what are the best things to use against Marines of either kind. I had an aweful night of rolls, so that didn't help my cause, but with 1000 of guard, i took out 2 Assault termies with my mortars, and 2 assault termies in close combat with my guard, and I think that was about it...

What are the best units to take, especially in a 1000 army, to make the most of the points and clear of marine units?

Hope that all makes sense, and cheers for reading!

Paul

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Monkey Pirate Greenbeard The Ex-pirate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well 1000 points against marines... I depends on what type of guard army you want to play. If your going with a static gun line, then in a 1000 points a single platoon filled with missile launchers and plasma guns along with a conscript platoon led by a power fisted independent commissar wont steer you to wrong. Chances are they won't be able to handle that many bodies. If your a bit of a tread head, mechanized grenadiers with a Lemman Russ or two would be a pretty safe call. 2 Squads of grenadiers with melta or plasma guns then make sure your Chimera is fit with some decent guns, heavy bolters and a multi laser should do you fairly good.( While the multi laser only has Ap 6 your wounding on 2s and stand a chance of damaging their dreadnoughts and what not.

The basic idea when playing marines, or really anyone, is to have a healthy amount of high strength low ap weapons. If you want certain victory... well you shouldn't play guard, but if you want a high probability of winning you need to be good at exploiting your opponents weakness (while this is true for every army we don't have a whole lot of shiny things to hid behind *cough Cough* Tau Shas'os). Instead we have some tanks and a whole lot of meat. If you are not out numbering a marine player at least 2-1 or don't have 5+ tanks on the field you may be in for a real tough fight. Things to keep in mind are, every squad in platoons should have a heavy weapon and special weapon, if your playing mechanized grenadiers or something similar then your transports are fire platforms first and for most.

Based of what you said, I would leave the mortars out while playing marines. They work great when you have tons of them, and you can either wound on a three plus (most nids, tau, eldar, dark eldar) or deny saves (orks, nids, ect) but against marines you need a 4 plus to wound then they get their 3 plus save regardless. Leave them you in favor of missile launchers and plasma/melta guns.

Welcome back to 40k, and welcome to the Imperial Guard.
    Rheagar fought nobly
    Rheagar fought valiantly
    Rheagar fought honorably
    And Rheagar died.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x1)

Mostly agreeing with greenbeard here, also consider some of the less used squads in the list. Veterans with three plasma guns, infiltrating, or popping out of a chimera, same with stormtroopers (the chimera), and finally, my personnel favourite is a special weapon squad with a demo charge, it's rather risky, and will use a doctrine, but if you pull it off the look of horror on your opponents face is always a laugh.
    Inquistion force WIP. Pics on posts 17 and 23.

+ Reply to Thread