Space Wolves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Space Wolves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Space Wolves

Im kinda new to warhammer 40k and i was considering starting a Space Wolf army or a Black Templar Army. Does the Games Workshop Codex update make the space wolf army tournament legal?

Also, between Black Templar and Space Wolves which has the better CC abilities

Thanks

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Codex update?

As far as I know the Space Wolves codex and errata are still legal.

As for your other question Space Wolves all the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The codex for both the Space Wolves and the Black Templars are up to date and perfectly legal. You only really need the regular space marine codex if you're running a list with something that isn't in the chapter codex, like how the Space Wolf codex doesn't have stats for most of the tanks, that's just because GW wanted to save some money in printing.

Personally I'd have to say go for the wolves. They're great in close combat if you build them correctly and can provide comparable shootyness if you so desire. The Long Fang Pack Leader is great before he dies because he allows you to split the squad's fire between two separate units. However he's usually the first to go because you'd rather keep your heavy weapons. Also, if you max out a Blood Claw squad, you can take up to three powerfists.

Black Templars like close combat as well. They tend to get there sooner because when shot at and a casualty is taken, then they get a D6 movement closer to combat. I don't know much about the Templars, but that tends to stick out for me.

I guess you could also look into the fluff to see which army you like better. I don't know if you'd play with a fluffy or a beardy list, but fluff can play an important roll in army selection.

The choice is yours, I'd have to say Space Wolves, as to get another brother wolf here to help comment on my lists.
    |T|O|O|-|L|A|Z|Y|-my anti-drug

The rep button () is your friend!

Be off-topic and visit www.theopia.com

Space Wolves (500) 6-0-3

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

Wolves are dog based, but really fluff wise neither legion wanted to break up into chapters. As far as codex's go if your playing wolves you'll need to get both space marine and space wolves codex. Black Templars codex has everything you need in it. Unless you want to read more of the black templar fluff which is in the space marine codex supposedly.

Black templars get access to land raider crusaders for transports. Close combat capability is the same on both fronts. Black templars move faster when they take casulites, as aetherguy found out from me.

Templars have no devastator squads, but then they also have their own uniqueness.

If you really don't know which one to play and you've looked at both model sets go into a GW and look at the space wolves codex and the black templars codex.

Personally I vote black templars.
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

I have to admit that I am on the fence with this one... Although I am a Space Wolf Player, my friend is also a Balck Templar player and I find them hard to split.

They are both pretty solid in CC although I think the wolves have the slightest edge.

Sure Black Templars have a lot of Land Raider Crusaders at their disposal but they are also one of the only chapters that can't take a whirlwind!

Their isn't much of a difference between the two armies. Templars don't have scouts or Devestators... which is something to think about.

Although Black Templars have their emperor's champion which allows you to take a few different vows that can make your army do different things.

Spaces wolves have a few interesting things like their own Venerable dreadnought different to other chapters and their scouts are pretty special not to mention their devestators can split fire as long as the Long Fang pack leader is alive.

Fluff wise they are both pretty nice... The Templars on their great crusade across the universe... Space Wolves those vikings stuck in the 41st milennia...

Even the model ranges are nice and don't look like boring marines, and offer a lot of conversion potential.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x6)

Sure Black Templars have a lot of Land Raider Crusaders at their disposal but they are also one of the only chapters that can't take a whirlwind!
    Whirlwinds aren't all that.

Templars don't have scouts or Devestators... which is something to think about.
    Not true, templars do have scouts, they are just attached to the troop squads.

Spaces wolves have a few interesting things like their own Venerable dreadnought different to other chapters
    If your willing to spend the money forge world allows any army to have their own venerable dreadnought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Pathofskulls View Post
    Whirlwinds aren't all that.
    They are one of the best tanks marines have when you look at potential damage and cheapness of points.

Not true, templars do have scouts, they are just attached to the troop squads.
    Neophytes aren't scouts. They wear scout armour have a diminished stat lines... can't infiltrate, don't have access to any scouty weapons like the sniper rifles etc. That is why I say they aren't scouts.

If your willing to spend the money forge world allows any army to have their own venerable dreadnought.
    Not sure what you mean there... you can just convert one from the platics from GW... What I was getting at is that the Space Wolf Ven Dread is different to all the other Ven dreads out there... on that stat line and rules.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x6)

They are one of the best tanks marines have when you look at potential damage and cheapness of points.
    Whilst an interesting tank, it has no appeal to me, when I destroy it first turn of the game.

Neophytes aren't scouts. They wear scout armour have a diminished stat lines... can't infiltrate, don't have access to any scouty weapons like the sniper rifles etc. That is why I say they aren't scouts.
    By fluff standard they are scouts, but rather then train on their own they are trained by the initiates. And you forget that scouts have access to shotguns, and ccw & bp's too. If you want a scouty unit BT elite choices can infiltrate.

The Sword Brethren.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You only got lucky with the whirlwind last night man... Not all armies have an assassin that will do that and besides, it was out of los from anything that could shoot to kill it. And if not for the assassin, would have been perfectly fine.

With Space Wolf Scouts, you can OBEL (opperate behind enemy lines). Where the unit comes in as reserves, but when they come in, they come in on the opponents side of the table. Great for tank busting. Also you can infiltrate them.
    |T|O|O|-|L|A|Z|Y|-my anti-drug

The rep button () is your friend!

Be off-topic and visit www.theopia.com

Space Wolves (500) 6-0-3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

Whilst an interesting tank, it has no appeal to me, when I destroy it first turn of the game.
    How do you do that?

I like them personally but that is the beauty of the game people like different units and if that wasn't the case things would be boring.

I have always found them to be a great buy for points... and with indirect fire you can keep them out of sight which generally means that you can keep them safe for a turn or two.

I guess with their neophytes they frustrate me... mainly because I like scouts acting on their own and by having them in the squads they can make your units too big to fit in things like Rhino's

I love wolf scouts though which is my bias towards my beloved Space Wolves. For their behind enemy lines rules.

Must admit the thing I love about Black Templars is the choice of having either bolt pistol and ccw or bolter. Something to a degree that both armies have in common... which makes for an interesting choice.

Must admit that I forgot that you can get templar units to infiltrate. My bad!

I just wish templar units could get a few more power weapons/power fists in their units but that is why the wolves have it over them in close combat.

Must admit though they are both pretty nice armies with a nice fluffy feel which makes them different from other codex marines. They both have that nice balance between close combat and shooting ability without being one trick armies.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast