Enginseers N' Co. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enginseers N' Co.

What do you guys think about using an enginseer with a few gun servitors as a fire support squad?
    I have only one (So far) tank in my 1500pt army, so his special rule probably will not get used.

Thanks in advance.

Proud commander of the Calamarian 81st
    'Hmmm..., I don't seem to have enough guns'

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

I like the fluff for Enginseers, but really I think they too expensive for a fire support squad. If you could give the Enginseer a long range gun like you can with an Inquisitor it would be OK, but in a fire support squad his points are completely wasted.

Your much better off with two Heavy Bolter FS squads for about the same price.;Y
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x1)

Agreed, for the points there really is little point in having an engineseer as fire support. Whack in the extra tank, or the aforementioned fire support as an alternative.

Personally I don't rate engineseer's at all in rules value, but I love the fluff, So I always whack one in a mechanised or armoured company, but even then, I don't use gun servitors I'm afraid.

Just back up really.
    Inquistion force WIP. Pics on posts 17 and 23.

Monkey Pirate Greenbeard The Ex-pirate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Engineers should be used to for fixing tanks. The gun servitors aren't worth the cost. As previously stated fire support squads are the way to go if your not going to be sticking heavy weapons in your line. Your better off with another tank. Or 2.
    Rheagar fought nobly
    Rheagar fought valiantly
    Rheagar fought honorably
    And Rheagar died.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard The Ex-pirate View Post
    Engineers should be used to for fixing tanks.
    The best way I have used this is to park a Enginseer with 4 tech Servitors in base contact with two Russes or a Russ and a Bassie. That way if either needs fixing a roll of a 2+ fixed!
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

Actually the servitors make really good Fire support squads - with a BS4 two heavy bolters are the same as 3 on a anti-tank squad.
    For more effect however, get a DH inquisitor, give him a psycannon, and 2x servitors with heavy bolters (and may i suggest some more chums to soak up wounds)

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggums Hammer View Post
    The best way I have used this is to park a Enginseer with 4 tech Servitors in base contact with two Russes or a Russ and a Bassie. That way if either needs fixing a roll of a 2+ fixed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard The Ex-pirate View Post
    Engineers should be used to for fixing tanks. The gun servitors aren't worth the cost. As previously stated fire support squads are the way to go if your not going to be sticking heavy weapons in your line. Your better off with another tank. Or 2.
    Wow - you guys both advocate using them for fixing tanks! I couldn't agree less. Respectfully, of course.

My reason is that that is a whole bunch of points sitting around doing almost nothing bar waiting for an imobilised or weapon destroyed result which can thusly be fixed. There's a high chance that the tank will simply be destroyed anyway, rendering the techpriest completely useless. And even fixing a weapon destroyed result will not always mean that the gun can be fired that same turn, if the tank also has a shaken or stunned result. Which will often be the case.

I'd prefer to spend the same points on plasma and missile launchers!

Quote Originally Posted by Jakey07 View Post
    What do you guys think about using an enginseer with a few gun servitors as a fire support squad?
    I have only one (So far) tank in my 1500pt army, so his special rule probably will not get used.

Thanks in advance.
    I love it! Whilst, as you can read above, I have absolutely no love for mr 'fixit' style techpriests (and techmarines), I do love gun servitors. Its highly useful to have a unit of decent balistic skill heavy weapons in an IG army, as you can actually rely on them somewhat to get the job done.

I very often run a techpriest with 3 heavy bolters and a plasma cannon. Wow, they can do well.

And sure, they are a small squad fairly easily killed, but I tend to give my opponent a proliferation of targets to choose from, and as this squad is sitting back and not really claiming any objectives (just shooting away), it does tend to actually survive fairly well against competant opponents. (Actually, thats a weird duality, they tend to be killed quickly by less effective opponents).

So yeah. I love them. However - I may be jaded by the fact that I run a Skitarii army, and all things Mechanicus do tend to get a slight leg up into the army list...
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Unless you're a fan of the fluff or the models, you're probably better of brining another fire support squad of heavy bolters.

A shame really. Really wish there would be more people playing with Enginseers and Techmarines. I'm a big fan of Adeptus Mechanicus fluff, but gamewise, fielding them is generally considered a bad idea by the community for various reasons.
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

As much as i've been thinking about getting me a TechPriest (they do look so awesome) and give him a shooty retuine, there's a thing in the FAQ that bothers me a little.
    It says the full cost of the servitors is to be counted towards the Wargearlimit.
    So it seems to me as if the 3HB+PC servitor crew is not fully legal.

Or am I just wrong again...

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Andusciassus View Post
    As much as i've been thinking about getting me a TechPriest (they do look so awesome) and give him a shooty retuine, there's a thing in the FAQ that bothers me a little.
    It says the full cost of the servitors is to be counted towards the Wargearlimit.
    So it seems to me as if the 3HB+PC servitor crew is not fully legal.

Or am I just wrong again...
    Ah, I had completely forgotten about this. But when reading your post, it's all comming back to me. :>

In the earliest printings of Codex: Imperial Guard 4th Edition, the Enginseers servitors didn't count as wargear. Later, FAQ: Imperial Guard appeared, saying that the servitors where infact, wargear and thus, the Enginseer would only be allowed a limited number of servitors because of the point limit on wargear allowed to one model.

Later in newer printings of the Imperial Guard Codex the codex specifically states that the servitors are not wargear. However, GW has said that the FAQ overrules anything said in the Codices, thus, even if the book says they're not - they are.

And since GW have said that they're no longer going to produce new FAQs or update old ones, the Enginseer and his servitors are quite screwed.
    Last edited by Kaiser; March 26th, 2008 at 02:48.
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast