Making SMs more 'fluffy' - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Pedantic Englishman Wolf Lord Herby's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x4)

Making SMs more 'fluffy'

Someone said in a thread on here that they thought SM's were too much of a Jack of all Trades, when they should be more speciailised towards making sugical strikes. So I was wondering, What changes would you make to the SM Codex to make SMs more biased towards this sort of tactic? And do you think it's neccesary that they are?

Of the top of my head, I could think of three possible changes:-
    Make Rhinos compulsory for Tac squads
    Possibly up the cost of Rhinos, to ensure they're used as transports and not as mobile cover...
    Finally, remove the Heavy wep choices from Tac squads and replace them with a second Special weapon (á la Cleanse and Purify Trait)

FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would ruin Space Marines compulsory Rhinos would be far too much hassle especially if the cost was increased. It would make Tactical squads awkward to field and end up making scout squads more common than they should be.

I just think Space marines should be made into better shooters and last longer on the field (to fit in with the fluff) all for a large increase in points of course. SM are nowhere as tough as they are made out to be in books and in the codex fluff.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    339 (x8)

I don't think Rhinos is a good idea - "surgical strike" does not imply transport, and in game terms it would be a complete pain.

Making marines tougher is not a solution either, because they would be unbalanced.

The game of 40k doesn't mirror the fluff - it would be impossibly to play if it did - besides which, if you go from a fluff basis, whichever army is the focus of the book always seems to be the best!

Marine armies can be used to fit the fluff if you play them that way - if you want a "surgical strike" army, use drop pods, bikes, land speeders and assault marines with jump packs.

But in war in the scale of 40k (where, as we all know, there is only war), what would you consider a surgical strike?

In a "Guard" ground war that has lasted for several months or years, wouldn't a day's concentrated fighting be considered a surgical strike by comparison, even if it was a ground war carried out by a full Space Marine Battle Company footslogging while supported by armour?

If you want Marines to fulfill a more hit and run type role, then the best way is probably to use or write scenarios that allow them to operate in that fashion.

P.S. If you are interested in "fluff marines" I recommend you try to find a copy of the hallowed "movie marines" rules - and if you do, let me know, because I've only ever been able to find them in Italian (which I do not have the good fortune of being able to understand).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Space marine battle company mounted all in thunderhawks. Only possible in Apocolypse, but it is probably the most fluffy Space Marine force you'll get in Table Top. You need large battles to have surgical strikes anyways.
    May the Emperor forgive you, for his servants cannot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Egorredcloak View Post
    I just think Space marines should be made into better shooters and last longer on the field (to fit in with the fluff) all for a large increase in points of course. SM are nowhere as tough as they are made out to be in books and in the codex fluff.
    40k is fairly scaled down when compared to the fluff; if you want to be using a space marine with stats closer to what they should be compared to others then play inquisitor. (Where the game is done on stats from 0-100, one hundred being the pinnacle of human capabilities without augmentation of some kind, and your basic marine is running with a strength of 200 and a toughness of 150 before being modified by his power armour.)

While they are known for their surgical strikes, there are chapters which operate very differently; which is one of the reasons marines are the way they are in normal 40k.

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

Play Space Wolves.
    Or Just use the Cleanse and purify Trait.

Marines are tough as nails and can defend as well as make surgical attacks.
    They are the ultimate fighting force, it would be silly to think that they have only one method of attack. They need to be flexible.

Movie Marines are more fluff like alright, I have the rules somewhere but have never played it. Sounds like good fun.

If I was making the new marine codex I would make sure that Tactical squads were the main event. They are what make up 90% of marine armies but many people min max or take scouts instead. I think the Captain should be given a trait from a list which modifies what units you can take and what special rules you can use.
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What naffed me off was the hike in the cost of drop pods in the BA and DA codex, hope this doesn't happen in the new SM dex but I suspect it will.

I see SM as a mobile rapid reaction force (Angels of Death) deployed via drop pods to get down and dirty with the bad guys, so GW pretty much price drop pods out of the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
    40k is fairly scaled down when compared to the fluff; if you want to be using a space marine with stats closer to what they should be compared to others then play inquisitor. (Where the game is done on stats from 0-100, one hundred being the pinnacle of human capabilities without augmentation of some kind, and your basic marine is running with a strength of 200 and a toughness of 150 before being modified by his power armour.)
    True.. Inquisitor marines are far less 'balanced', and they're absolutely terrifying - only psychic powers really have any chance of hurting them much. Otherwise, they can walk through fields of plasma gun fire and laugh.

But it wouldn't be a very interesting game if your opponent brings along his 200 man guard army and you whip out a squad of marines and proceed to gun them all down, would it? 40k is deliberately balanced so that marines are 'pretty cool.' Rather than the 'holy crap' levels they are in the fluff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by darkreever View Post

While they are known for their surgical strikes, there are chapters which operate very differently; which is one of the reasons marines are the way they are in normal 40k.
    I would have to agree. And as said above the armys are made balanced or as much as they can be for a reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit
    Geez, toon, your avatar changes more than Bill Clinton's campaign platform.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wouldnt any 1000-2000 pt game be a surgical strike type game?
    Paul

about 7500 pts of Dark Angels, probably a sub chapter with the way I have them painted up with copper edging and all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast