Cities of Death problem - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

Cities of Death problem

anyone have any tactics to beat marines in COD?

Thanks

For someone to deal as much damage as you did, the Emperor must surely be at your side. - MaxDv
    107th Regiment, 5th Armored Battle Group- 5500pts

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

My guess would be; beat them like in normal games.

What exactly is the problem? Low AP weapons still granting them a save due to cover? Remeber you also have that same advantage.

I think numbers would be the advantage. The same like usual. Shoot large amounts at marines sometime they'll fail a couple of 3+ saves. Marines don't benefit that much from cover as IG.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    169 (x4)

i'd say don't do anything gunline oriented... it's certain death in CoD, since even slow cc armies can get you in a couple turns with sewer rats. at most, only half your force gunline. try to be as mobile as you can (so hellhounds/sentinels) and pie plates..

note that demolishers can blow up buildings (i think they have to get that cod upgrade though to do so). but generally, you'll only have one to two turns of firing at a squad before it lands in cc with you and only isolated parts of your army will be able to fire at each given squad.

in short, keep it your firepower capable of delivering quick hard punches and your force either mobile or capable of spreading out and covering up sewer holes or footslogging slowly through the buildings.
    (as a sidenote: all my cod experience is from playing on omega level boards with the only open ground being 2-4" roads that never went more than 1-2 city blocks.)

...A blog that's mostly about Infinity, but sometimes other stuff too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

thanks.
    the main problem is that my opponent has a sick obsetion with assault marines. i have no time to shoot them because of the buildings
    For someone to deal as much damage as you did, the Emperor must surely be at your side. - MaxDv

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by billybobithyjo View Post
    thanks.
    the main problem is that my opponent has a sick obsetion with assault marines. i have no time to shoot them because of the buildings
    You might need to learn how to deliberately sacrifice units - i'll expand this post when I'm online next

Edit: On to the expansion!

A good imperial guard army makes concessions for close combat. Its not where you want to be, but it is a very large part of the game, and against a wily opponent you will often find yourself in combat wether you want to or not.

One of the bonuses of IG is that we have lots of sacrificial units available (pretty much every infantry unit you possess, up to and including your commanding officer. Do not get too attached to any unit - they are ALL expedable, so long as you keep any longer term game goals in mind).

So yeah, there's a few trick you need to remember.

First is the 6" rule.
    If you feel you can predict where the main thrust of the enemies assault is just about to land, space your units out in that area, making sure they are all 6" apart, if possible. Even feed your opponent a unit by moving them forward, if you have to - this way, if the your units in combat are wiped out in your opponents turn, there is no way other guard squads can be consolidated into, leaving those shiny assault units out in the open. Then you can rapid fire to your hearts content!

Another is to deploy in two flanks - trying to open up firing lanes between the two set ups. Divide your army into two halves, and try to set up with a fairly large gap in the middle. This way, when your opponent attacks, he has to choose between splitting his small marine army in half and attack both sides, or attack one side with his whole army. If he chooses the latter, he has to approach your lines twice! This is more difficult in cities of death games, with all that terrain hanging around the place, but still useful to know if you think you can pull it off.

Curious, though - what kind of army are you using? As in, what units do you have available?

There are a whole bunch of nasty combo's available to guard in cities of death games, so it would be good to know.

Such as a 50 man conscript unit in a building with ammo dump, or that thing that gives you 'feel no pain'. Or the IG doctrine that would effectively give your entire army a 3+ cover save. Sewer rats and officers with 4 flamers/plasmaguns popping up and saying 'hi!' for one hell of a speed bump. The flamers work well with fuel dump, too...

By the way, dont bother taking the generator strategem with IG - its rolling to hit that is the problem. Most of the weapons you really want to hit will wound things on a 2+ anyway.
    Last edited by Cadaver Junkie; March 31st, 2008 at 06:08.
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

i have 80-90 infantry including 4 officers, a mix of heavy weapons and a 6000pt AC worth of leman russ's

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

That is ALOT of tanks m'boy. A problem really, because tanks are a liability in CoD. The quick assaults mean that his marines will eat those point-buckets alive. I'd stick to infantry and heavy weapons.
    If you have tanks with high armor (i play marines, not gaurd) use those to rumble down streets and provide cover maybe. But marines can take out anything up to and including LandRaiders and Monoliths- so IG tanks are going down too.

If it's his assault marines, stay in cover. Landing jump-packs into difficult ground requires a terrain check (if i remember) and as long as you're forcing him to land there, there's a few extra shots for you.
    Also, try to convert some 5 story buildings. My friend used this trick on me once. In a 5 story building, you can get to the middle floor *3* and start shooting. He has to land on either floor 5 or floor 1. It takes 6in to move between floors, so he can't charge on his first turn in the building.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

CoD is one of the main reason why I use a smaller heavy infantry IG force. I am able to move more quickly and defend smaller areas with more firepower. I wouldn't move at all and let him come to you.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

The simplest, most direct advice: If you keep losing, do something different.

The six-inch rule tactic is a good one, but if that doesn't work well, you might try doing the opposite.

For many "shooty" armies (I play necrons and feel your pain), the challenge, and potential weakness for your opponent to explot, is how to get the most firepower pointing in the same direction. The trick is not to let him divide you, especially if he outnumbers you with fast units. You could try turtling yourself in a corner as far away from him as possible, then do everything you can to jack up the leadership (Iron Discipline, Close Order Drill, Heroic Senior Officer bubble, etc.) so you don't run off the table. Pack 'em into a multi-story building, lock and load!

When your opponent comes, pick one unit (yes, just ONE unit!) and mow it down. That's right. Ignore the rest, if possible. At most, go after two units, but concentrating your fire is key. Don't let his multiple units scare you. Knocking out a unit with the chaplain in it might knock his strategy for a loop.

The real key is finding the unit you think his strategy revolves around. Even if he's thinking, "I got three assault squads! Last one there's a rotten egg!" There is still a strategy. Even for the jump-pack equipped infantry, there needs to be a plan. He will need to use cover and concealment, which is bound to allow some units to move faster than others, which will reveal his strategy to you. It's like chess. You need to get better at guessing what your opponent is most likely to do.

Countercharge units will help, too. If you have that many infantry, make 50 of them into a unit of conscripts and, if you can, give them a commisar with powerfist and/or power weapon. Let's see how fast your opponent chews through THAT! If you REALLY wanna be mean (as in "no one will play with you again" mean), borrow some more groundpounders and make three such units. Get 'em into cc with his assault marines as fast as possible and that'll shut down his offensive in a hurry.

Meanwhile, if you have them, use demolishers to start knocking down buildings, particularly the ones your opponent is hiding in. "Man, I can't hit that heavy weapons squad on top of that building!" "Easy. Just knock it down!" Welcome to Cities of Death

Some combination of the above is a nice idea. Use the unit of conscripts to "speed bump" the lead offensive unit, and make sure it engages 6" or more away from the rest of your gunline. While your opponent is chewing through the unit (it should take a couple turns) use the combat to block line of sight, and take aim with ALL of the rest of your infantry at the nearest enemy advancing squad in range and line of sight, and use them ALL to knock it out. If you have enough guns blazing, you should at least force some morale checks, which ties up/whittles down two of your opponent's prized assault squads, possibly even as soon as Turn Two, which will force him to reevaluate his strategy. In the meantime, use demolishers to lay buildings to waste, drop pie plates, and wreak general havoc elsewhere.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    The simplest, most direct advice: If you keep losing, do something different.

The six-inch rule tactic is a good one, but if that doesn't work well, you might try doing the opposite.

For many "shooty" armies (I play necrons and feel your pain), the challenge, and potential weakness for your opponent to explot, is how to get the most firepower pointing in the same direction. The trick is not to let him divide you, especially if he outnumbers you with fast units. You could try turtling yourself in a corner as far away from him as possible, then do everything you can to jack up the leadership (Iron Discipline, Close Order Drill, Heroic Senior Officer bubble, etc.) so you don't run off the table. Pack 'em into a multi-story building, lock and load!

When your opponent comes, pick one unit (yes, just ONE unit!) and mow it down. That's right. Ignore the rest, if possible. At most, go after two units, but concentrating your fire is key. Don't let his multiple units scare you. Knocking out a unit with the chaplain in it might knock his strategy for a loop.

The real key is finding the unit you think his strategy revolves around. Even if he's thinking, "I got three assault squads! Last one there's a rotten egg!" There is still a strategy. Even for the jump-pack equipped infantry, there needs to be a plan. He will need to use cover and concealment, which is bound to allow some units to move faster than others, which will reveal his strategy to you. It's like chess. You need to get better at guessing what your opponent is most likely to do.

Countercharge units will help, too. If you have that many infantry, make 50 of them into a unit of conscripts and, if you can, give them a commisar with powerfist and/or power weapon. Let's see how fast your opponent chews through THAT! If you REALLY wanna be mean (as in "no one will play with you again" mean), borrow some more groundpounders and make three such units. Get 'em into cc with his assault marines as fast as possible and that'll shut down his offensive in a hurry.

Meanwhile, if you have them, use demolishers to start knocking down buildings, particularly the ones your opponent is hiding in. "Man, I can't hit that heavy weapons squad on top of that building!" "Easy. Just knock it down!" Welcome to Cities of Death

Some combination of the above is a nice idea. Use the unit of conscripts to "speed bump" the lead offensive unit, and make sure it engages 6" or more away from the rest of your gunline. While your opponent is chewing through the unit (it should take a couple turns) use the combat to block line of sight, and take aim with ALL of the rest of your infantry at the nearest enemy advancing squad in range and line of sight, and use them ALL to knock it out. If you have enough guns blazing, you should at least force some morale checks, which ties up/whittles down two of your opponent's prized assault squads, possibly even as soon as Turn Two, which will force him to reevaluate his strategy. In the meantime, use demolishers to lay buildings to waste, drop pie plates, and wreak general havoc elsewhere.
    Good post! Althought, i'd like to point out that independant commissars are independant characters - as such, they are picked out in close combat as a seperate unit, and thus that powerfist probably wont get to strike (remember, a mini in base to base only with the commissar HAS to strike the commissar and the commissar only, mini's behind the assault trooper who are not in btb get to choose).

Still, I like most of what you say

Also, when you mention morale checks, dont forget that not even marines can regroup if an enemy model in within 6". I managed to chase a large assault squad off the board with a chimera once! This aint likely to happen, but its always good to keep in mind
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast