Summer League - New to WH40k - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Summer League - New to WH40k

Pretty new to WH. Son (Tau player) and I have been playing for a couple of months now. Have been in a couple of tournaments and playing pickup up games on Friday nights (along with warmachine). However, still find my troop/tactic choices to be lacking. guess that comes with experience. Question. The first league game of the summer starts in a month or so. I would like to be better prepared. I generally play a codex SM army (usually using cleanse and purify/have pride in your colors) The guidelines for the first match follow. Would greatly appreciate any advice. Will be facing primarily other SM armies, along with Tau, Ork and Eldar (pretty equal mix).

I currently own:

3 squads of tactical SM (10 man, 2 melta or 2 plasma usually)
    1 assault squad (currently only 5-man - going to bulk up to 9)
    1 dreadnought (more on the way)
    4 termies
    1 chaplain with jump pack
    1 rhino

Here are the match guidelines.

500PT max
    no special characters
    no ordinance
    no models with 2+ wounds
    no 2+ saves
    max 1 vehicle that cannot exceed 150 points with all wargear/upgrades
    number of cities of death strategems: 1 per player.
    1 hq max (not required)
    1 elite max (not required)

Questions: special characters for SM refers to Lysander, etc, right?

I am not familiar with cities of death strategems.. gotta look into this (any ideas?).

My idea would be to take as many tactical squads as poss (maybe with the rhino for cover). tactical squad will likely include a missile launcher and and plasma gun or flamer.

will also take the bulked up assault squad.

But open to all other suggestions. I like to play up close, but cant take the termies for the first battle.

thanks..

Gutmaximus

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x3)

How can you not take any models with 2+ wounds when all the SM hq choices have 2+ wounds. O_o

I'm assuming this leage doesn't follow force organization charts or maybe is a cities of death game. I'm not familliar with cities of death rules but you might want to clarify with someone at the place you go to game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i was in error. no troops with more than 2 wounds (can take the low end chaplain with 2 wounds). I know my question is pretty open ended. researching my army but any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guthbrand View Post
    I'm assuming this leage doesn't follow force organization charts or maybe is a cities of death game. I'm not familliar with cities of death rules but you might want to clarify with someone at the place you go to game.
    He is probably playing a "combat patrol" tournament. Hence the rules.

I am not an expert with codex chapters (I play Dark Angels) so I will try to help the best I can.

Sence you said you like to be up close, you should probably throw in that assault squad and chaplin. Give the veteran in the squad a power weapon(or fist if you have the points).

Take atleast 2 squads of tactical squads. Maybe put one of them in the rhino. For the squad that you put in the rhino, give them either two plasmas, or two meltas, and what you are going to do with them is run them up in the rhino, unload them, and rapid fire them into the nearest enemy squad. For the other squad, since they are probably going to be staying back and shooting, I would give them a missile launcher, and a plasma gun, to save some points you might want to drop this squad down to 8 or 6 man. But keep the other squad thats in the rhino 10 man, for more rapid fire shots.

I'm not sure how many points that will get you to, but that should be somewhere around 500. I wish you and your son luck in the tournament! Have fun!

All religion, my friend is simply evolved out of fraud, greed, imagination and poetry.
    - Edgar Allen Poe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OD.. you are correct. playing combat patrol for the first match. thanks for the comments. I need to play armor more. need to get used to that. wonder if I could take a dev squad to stand back.. hmmmmm will have to play with the points tonight to see if I could get that to work...

Your comments lead me to another question. what is the differnce between bringing a vet sgt with a power fist vs a power weapon. I am not clear on that...

thanks again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmaximus View Post
    Your comments lead me to another question. what is the differnce between bringing a vet sgt with a power fist vs a power weapon. I am not clear on that...
    Power Fist- double your strenght, strike last, no armour saves.

Power Weapon- No armour saves, cheeper than power fist.

The rules on close combat weapons are on page 46 in the rule book.

All religion, my friend is simply evolved out of fraud, greed, imagination and poetry.
    - Edgar Allen Poe

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x3)

Another thing about power fists, when most experienced players, if they are going to spend points upgrading a sargent for cc given will choose the power fist over the power weapon. I would definitly recomend you give a powerfist to the sargent of the squad in the rhino because there job is to get up close which means they will most likely see assault.

However, on HQ's most don't go for the power fist because SM HQs are independant characters and can therefore be singled out in the assault and possibly killed before they can use the init. 1 power fist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks again for the comments. complete newb here, so all the advice is very much appreciated.... been doing practice rounds with the kid.. dang ion cannon is a real b$%^#.....

+ Reply to Thread