Heavy Weapons Team Basing - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heavy Weapons Team Basing

What are everyone's thoughts on basing HWTs? Do you all just use the 60mm bases provided? Do you HAVE to use those 60mm? I find they make them extremely succeptible to template weapons (barbed stranglers kill my lascannon teams way too consistently haha) Has anyone attempted using 40mm bases to mount just the weapon, or even just put it on the tabletop accompanied by two guardsmen to act as crew? I like the idea of 6 guardsmen, 2 inches apart with the guns sitting next to them but "decorative" only. Is that legit? I am unsure - you'd measure range from the edge of the guardsman's base, etc. I am about to order a bunch of bases and am curious as to what is the most useful way to go about this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well only up until a few years ago the weapons weren't even on a base, and if they were it was a calvary type base. Most had wheels and ML's were mostly shoulder mounted. As long as you have representation of what you have I'd think you can really do anything you want with it. Altho the distance would be measured from the weapon.....but you might need to have 1 guardsman in the direct vicinity as well. It mostly really comes down to your opponents and what they will allow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried to stick to the 60mm but I got tired of explaining how it is used. I have the old metal teams and now I'm putting all the weapons with gunners on 40s as well as the individual weapons on 40s then put the regular guys on normal bases. I'm much happier this way. No issues with assault ranges and templates. I don't have to keep my 60s touching each other so that I can keep coherency and no problems putting them into terrain, especially Cities of Death terrain.
    Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only the strong may truly judge what is sane.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x4)

In me being the penny pincher I am Ive converted 'feild stripped' heavy bolters out of the heavy stubbers from the tank spurs. I then mounted them on regular sized infantry bases and place them next to each other. This is completely legit and Ill post a picture for referacne. Remeber its a gunner and aloader on the same base for 'convience' only, its really two seperate models.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yah, I was thinking of getting 40mm bases for the weapons (terminator size bases) and just having them be ephemeral (like those decorative models like Orks use.) I am just anticipating issues with measuring distance (like from one of the guardsmen) and worrying about consistency (measuring from the same 3 guardsmen in a team.) Last game I played against Tyranids was a bit of a debacle - their barbed stranglers mauled my teams pretty badly, even the ones in cover.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x4)

Two possible ways of doing heavy weapons with out he large base(No i havnt finished painting them):

and

Hope that give you some ideas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have using Cavalry Bases from the WHF line for the gunners and small bases for the loaders.
    Keep the loader in BtB contact with the gunner during the match until he becomes a casualty.

I ain't much of a tourney player though and have no idea if that would be considered legal.
    The Lucky 13's Apoc tourney I have been playing in has no issue with it, but it is made up of practically the exact same people as the home games.

I know the base that comes with the HW team is considered a movement tray and not a base. That has been stated many times on this board. But I am not sure which individual base alternatives are considered legal.

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by cadian315 View Post
    What are everyone's thoughts on basing HWTs? Do you all just use the 60mm bases provided? Do you HAVE to use those 60mm? I find they make them extremely succeptible to template weapons (barbed stranglers kill my lascannon teams way too consistently haha) Has anyone attempted using 40mm bases to mount just the weapon, or even just put it on the tabletop accompanied by two guardsmen to act as crew? I like the idea of 6 guardsmen, 2 inches apart with the guns sitting next to them but "decorative" only. Is that legit? I am unsure - you'd measure range from the edge of the guardsman's base, etc. I am about to order a bunch of bases and am curious as to what is the most useful way to go about this.
    You can use 40mm bases as legally as you use 60mm bases for your heavy weapon teams.

I personally prefer to use the 60mm base as I feel that it looks better in general - it gives you more room to work with.

As for the barbed stranglers killing your lascannon teams too consistantly, well, that might actually be the truth - if he scores 2 hits on your lascannon 60mm base (as in, 1 hit for each guardsman), and then successfully kills the two, you can still take them from anywhere in the unit, within line of sight and other restrictions. In otherwords, you simply remove 2 gunners, and all 3 lascannons will remain around to keep on firing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedsquirrl View Post
    I have using Cavalry Bases from the WHF line for the gunners and small bases for the loaders.
    Keep the loader in BtB contact with the gunner during the match until he becomes a casualty.

I ain't much of a tourney player though and have no idea if that would be considered legal.
    The Lucky 13's Apoc tourney I have been playing in has no issue with it, but it is made up of practically the exact same people as the home games.

I know the base that comes with the HW team is considered a movement tray and not a base. That has been stated many times on this board. But I am not sure which individual base alternatives are considered legal.
    You dont have to keep the loader in btb contact with the gunner - you merely have to maintain the proper 2" coherency.

As for which base to choose, the smallest base you can buy a heavy weapon teams on these days is still the 25mm base. The 40K rulebook states that you should mount your mini's on the base provided as the minimum size allowable, anything bigger is also fine. So this means you can mount the guardsmen on a 25mm base each, or even a 40mm base. Or a 60mm base for both. See the main rulebook, page 6

As for how to use the gun, if you are using 25mm bases, it doesn't really matter - the gun in this case is only symbolic in anycase (for my mortar teams, I use 25mm bases, and each mortar is mounted on a 40mm base). The only mini's that actually count are the two guardsmen, for line of sight and casualty purposes (in other words, the gun itself is only there to look pretty, and is otherwise ignored, just like with eldar guardian heavy weapon platforms).

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Cadaver Junkie; April 19th, 2008 at 02:40.
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I am suggesting is mounting the 2 Guardsmen crew on 25mm bases and then mounting the weapon itself on a 40mm base, just for aesthetics (and to have the weapon present, of course.) The team themselves don't have to be on a 60mm base, that of course is not the case, as they're still two separate models. The problem with 60mm bases is that it is super easy to clip 4 or 5 models with one template, even with bases 2 inches apart.

I was thinking of maybe putting a single guardsman and a heavy weapon on a 40mm base and have him be accompanied by a guardsman on a 25mm base as the loader. That way they'd each be based, you could measure from the base of the guardsmen who clearly has the gun etc.

As it stands, I have 3 autocannon, 3 lascannon and 3 heavy bolters already on 60mm bases. I have 3 autocannon, 3 lascannon and 3 heavy bolters yet to be based. I may well try the 40mm and 25mm combo for the latter three sets of teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

For the tripod mounted weapons I put both gunner and weapon on a 25mm x 50mm Cavalry base. The only thing is with the HB is you have to have the ammo belt just dangling loose from the ammo feed as there isn't room for a box adjacent I've found and ditto with the Lascannon - I tend to just fit a dial or something onto the cannon and leave the cabling off. Then you can have the loader on a seperate 25mm circular base. For the bipod weapons, M/L and Mortar a 40mm ciruclr base works just fine to get both gunner and weapon on.

I prefer them this eay, far easier in close terrain and urban fighting than that damned great pie plate
    Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast