Something occured to me. Sons of Dorn, listen up! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Aarhus, Denmark
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

242 (x6)

Something occured to me. Sons of Dorn, listen up!

I've been an Imperial Fists player for years and I (like most of Dorn's sons) always had a bit of a grudge toward whoever made up the name for our revered Chapter Master, Vladimir Pugh.

However, I was painting up one of my rhinos and as I was painting the name scroll with the Latin word for 'fist' Pugnus, it dawned on me that this is the origin of 'Pugh'.

So I did a little research and found out that 'Vladimir' actually means "To Command with Greatness and Power"!

So, in a way, Vladimir Pugh's name means something along the lines of:
    To Command with the Greatness and Power of the Fist!

Not too shabby! Take THAT, Marneus Calgar and Azrael!

"We're the Death Korp of Krieg, son. Did you think that was just a pretty name? We never retreat. We fight and we die, that's the Krieg way."
    -Lieutenant Konarski at the Battle of Erebus

2. Remove Advertisements

Burnley, UK
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

107 (x3)

Well, Azrael means The Angel of Death which is fairly cool.

Calgar on the other hand...well, Calgacus was a caledonian who fought the Romans. Kinda cool you'd think, but the literal translation of Calgacus means 'possessing a penis' - not so cool...

Dante, Mephiston, Ezekiel, Belial, Sammael - all cool names from cool relgious/mythological/weird characters.
    Last edited by distortiondave; April 25th, 2008 at 21:12.
    I can't say I've seen it all but I live for the things that keep me hollow.

Falun, Sweden
    1 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

61 (x1)

The Dark Angels

Lion El'Jonson: named after an english poet - Lionel Johnson, who wrote a poem called "The Dark Angel".
    Azrael: As mentioned above. Azrael is one of the names of the "angel of death".
    Ezekiel: A biblical prophet. Has a book in the jewish bible called "The Book of Ezekiel"
    The DA Ezekiel carries "The Book of Salvation"
    Asmodai: A deamon known to many old cultures/religions. The meanng of the name is something like
    "deamon of wrath"
    Sammael: Another "angel of death"
    Belial: Depends on who you're asking, Either refers to "The Useless" or "The Prince reigning over the
    Northern Reaches of Hell" - commander of 80 legions of deamons...

Well... A rather depressing bunch of guys... But fun to see that the names just aren't taken out of the blue, but actually has a thougth behind them.
    Currently painting the Waaagh! of Warboss Borboss - Goff and Evil Sunz warband

+ Reply to Thread