Close Combat and a Storm Bolter - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Superflat Monogram Sayomi Akimoto's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x1)

Close Combat and a Storm Bolter

Hey there folks, before continuing I'd like it to be known that this is not a question about the rules of true grit, Grey Knights in power armor and all that jazz.

Rather, my question is a fluffy kind: how does a Grey Knight use his storm bolter in close combat?

From my primitive understanding of True Grit, and thus pistol weapons, it represents the wielder using the gun as an improvised close combat weapon ie: club.

With the gauntlet mounted storm bolter, how does he wield it?

Does he just punch stuff and unload?

Does he fire it in the swirl of meele whenever he gets the chance?

Does he backhand the foe with relative impunity?

Does he use its considerable mass as an ad hoc buckler?

Is it some kind of combination of all of the above?

Do the Grey Knights books have any answer to my question? I've not read them, so I have no clue.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Woof! Woof! Bark! Bark!!! aeroplane's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    569 (x7)

Thinking fluffily;

The Grey Knight's bolter has become such an intrigal part of him that he always knows where it is pointing and where it will fire at any time. His skill and experience is such that during the heat of battle, during the swarming melee, at those time that the barrel is pointing at the foe of the Emperor, it is the Emperor's light that guides him to pull the trigger -- not thinking, merely being the vessel of the Emperor's wrath, and smiting any for that is unluckily enough to be in his way.

Which is to say, most everything that you said...

Last edited by aeroplane; May 2nd, 2008 at 03:46.
    My insanely large Chaos Marine Army - look

Thier commander's motto-listen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

All of the above and more, I'm sure.

While yes, a GK has enough training and experience to fire the SB just like a pistol in combat, and punching things then firing is a perfect way to make sure the thing you've punched never gets back up, in the end, they'll do what must be done.

If they don't have time to aim, a good spray will suffice, and when it comes right down to it, you'll use a donut as an improvised club if it means you live and he dies. Any GK (indeed, any soldier, period) that's been around for any length of time will automatically know the single golden rule of close combat - kill the other guy. It doesn't matter how, it doesn't matter why, it doesn't have to be pretty, effective, efficient or even sane... if it works, it's fair game.
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

Ive always imagined them smashing it into their enemies heads, jaws etc before unloading it at point blank range.

Well, im not ALWAYS imagining that, that would be a little bit of a strange preoccupation.
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    135 (x4)

If you've ever watched the into movie to Dawn of War, check out the way the SM Sarge uses his pistol in close combat (about 1 min 5 sec into the vid in the link below). That's the way I picture storm-bolters being used in close combat -- unloading rapid-fire bursts of bolts at point-blank range. Compared to that, using the storm-bolter as a club seems less effective to me. If you haven't seen the vid before, well you should! You can check it out at the following link:

YouTube - Warhammer 40,000 : Dawn of War

=)

-H
    Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.
    -George Orwell

www.drmcninja.com
    If you're intruiged by doctors who are also ninjas, then this is the webcomic for you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Usually when I see something involving a Storm bolter in close combat. I typically imagine the guy just cutting loose and bracing themselve when possible. However for a GK, all of the ways you mentioned of how he uses it is how I imagine him using it in combat. Just using it where possible, even if it becomes a makeshift club after his arm has been ripped off. That's just how I think a GK would use a storm bolter in cc.
    I'll be damned before the soldiers of the Emperor are just left to rot!
    Last words of Colonel Densit from the Rahaxin 19th

"DISS NOT THE EMPEROR'S POINTED STICK, HERETIC!"

If it doesn't work with the Emperor. Then it's been officially Karmooned!!!

BEWARE THE POWER OF THE LIGHT-BRIGHT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think u complicate too much .
    They don't really use it in CC. Why? Simple. They train 5-10 years in the barracks ONLY with their Nemezis weapon.
    Now. If we take european history and especially knighthood...
    There were some Masters who were swordplay teachers/masters
    (Hanko Döbringer, Thomas von Lichtenhauer, etc.)
    A skilled warrior can easily defeat unskilled opponents.
    And a good knight can handle more than 2 enemies. And there are different types of swordplay/"halberd/poleaxeplay" depending on equipment.
    Powerarmoured and Terminators are TANKS! So they go to assault with the " 'ERE I COME!" attitude
    OFC sadly WE suck @ init, and thats the biggest flaw that needs to be corrected.

SB: if u look at the stats i may say it, that it is a finetuned sensitive gun. (My friend sad "fudge u" when i told him with an evil smile: these babies range is 24" ^^)
    Don't really think, that they play KKND with it...
    but this only my opinion
    Last edited by Meron; May 4th, 2008 at 12:19.
    SemperFidelis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an incredibly boring answer. The stormbolter has extra weight. Because it is always a part of their armour (and they always wear their armour). That arm has become accustomed to the extra weight and thus grown stronger. Stronger arms can whip around faster (and w/ the extra weight, whack skulls harder) And thus you get an extra attack.

OR, for a completely BS explanation

The NFW is magnetic, and the SB has an electromagnet in it (near the palm of the hand). At an opportune moment, the GK activates said electro magnet, sending the NFW flying from one hand to the other hitting an enemy on the way. (or allowing him to catch his opponent off guard and strike him from the other side..... the enemy is really dumb and falls for this every turn)

The thread caught my eye and I thought I'd give my 2 cents.

meh
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well I have to agree with the others that have said that the GK would be firing his SB as long as he had ammo for it, simply because a two barreled machine gun would most likely jam if used as a bludgeoning wepon call if respect for the machine spirit if you want to. But I still think that even when out of ammo a gk wouldn't hit something with the SB since it adds extra weight to his hand and when throwing a punch with a weighted glove gives you a lot more power. and hitting with something attached to the top of your hand just seems akward to me after 4 years of muay thai. But on the whole to each his own

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

true, there's many MANY flaws in my logic.

My only thing was that if the SB was being fired, it'd use the SB stats not the NFW. So I wanted a weird plan where the NFW hit the guy. Go Magnet!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast