How Many Gk Until Its Called "overkill"? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a problem with overestamating enemies. Whenever I remake/revise my 2000 Point list, I always take into consideration the weight of GK and what they can accomplish. With that being said, I also think of how many GK it will take for them to be successful.

So, my 2000 List now includes a full 10-man squad w/ pair of psycannon GK on foot to get that first troop box filled in. I have another (x2) 10-man squad w/ pair of incinerator for deepstriking. My Grand Master has a retinue of 4 Termies.

Thats 30 GKs and 5 GK Terminators.

The supporting troops are (x2) of kasyrkin in rhino w/ pair of melta.

I usually play on a 4x6 table going width wise. But even so, i cannot tell you how many times that full 10 man squad of GK gets ripped apart by fire even when 36 inches away from enemy units.

My question is, is 35GK enough for 2000 pt list against most armies? Or should i invest in more.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

Well, I have 20 in my 1500 list, but that's only because I took Chimera's for my IST's. And every one of the GK deepstrikes. Now that people know what a GK can do in combat, they attract fire like other army's termies do. And our termies? Magnet for lascannons. So I don't ever march GK of any type.

And for comparison, on my not-yet-done 2k list, I'll have something like 35 GK, a Dread, and IST's...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Upcoming 1500 point list of mine has around the same numbers, to be honest, as i daren't stand Gk's still long enough for them to get gunned down.

Is too many ever enough? Field as many as you can, while making sure you have the right balance of forces to acheive obejectives and remain effective against certain units (armour, horde).

I use max squad size, while the trend (at least locally) is to use minimum and go for a huge amount of special/heavy weapons - you just can't get enough GK on the table, IMO.
    NOBODY expects the Holy Inquisition!
    Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise....
    Our two weapons are fear and surprise... and ruthless efficiency....
    Our three weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...
    and an almost fanatical devotion to the Emperor....
    Our four... no...
    Amongst our weapons... Amongst our weaponry...
    are such elements as fear, surprise...

I'll come in again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best pure GK list I've seen tried to max out GK in power armor.

Honestly, look upon each GK in power armor as 2 regular SM in combat ability and you won't be too far off. They are the cheapest model (not counting stormtroopers). Before I go and give more than maybe 1 special weapons (incinerator or psycannon) to a squad I would grab more GK. Heck, a psycannon upgrade costs as much as a GK in power armor ... plus you lose the NFW and an attack on that model. Sure psycannons are nice, but more GK = more shots, more CC attacks, and more casualties that your opponent has to inflict.

If you are using IST ... Make all your GK that you can Fast Attack. They don't have to Deep Strike, they can start on the board if you decide ... but you always have the flexibility to DS them at the start of the game when you know who you're up against. If they are DSing they can't be shot early on. You can drop them close by the enemy and if you're in 24" that becomes 20 storm bolter shots ripping into the enemy before they can whittle you down ... and they won't want to get into CC with you if they can help it.

Also... you must have some bad luck.. because I find that Shrouding works very well for me. at 30" your opponents should be missing Shrouding rolls about 50% of the time, meaning they only hit about 1/4 of the time they fire. With psycannons you should be able to outgun them. I outshot a Tau army at 30" with my GK (I took a "shooty" oriented GK army with lots of psycannons to test). I sat back as close to 36" as I could and, since the Tau player didnt advance much, we pretty much stayed at 30" and shot each other. Needless to say, 18 psycannon shots per turn pretty much decimated his fire warriors.

Closed Thread