Using inquisitors - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using inquisitors

This is going sound like an odd question but here it is: How do you use an inquisitor effectivly?

I'v been wanting to field one for awhile now but can't find a reason to put him in my army. The flexibility of the sqaud is awsome but it does not look like they do anything. 2x mystic sqauds would be nifty to field against heavy deepstriking armies like space marines etc, but it looks like they'd just get shot up seeing as most of them have a 6+ save. I suppose you could field more warriors in the sqaud to make the majority 4+. However it still looks like a BSS of GK sqaud in it's place would yield better results. How do you all use your inquisitors? are they in transports running up the field to get in range for assaults or are they sitting back and shooting? Also is there a more popular sqaud composition?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

qsd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x2)

In general, shooty inquisitors > assault inquisitors.
    Assault inquisitors can work, but a decent configuration costs a lot of points. As a side note, a WH inquisitor lord might be a better choice for this instead of DH because they have access to some more close combat focused things like Crusaders and mancatchers.

Anyways...
    A popular setup for DH inquisitors goes something like this:
    Inquisitor w/ psycannon
    2 mystics
    1 sage
    3 warriors w/ heavy bolters

-Sometimes a plasma cannon will be taken instead of a heavy bolter. In these cases, a second sage is usually added.
    -Lords' retinues usually have some familiars and/or acolytes for "ablative" wounds.
    -Saves: 6+ saves are pretty poor, but as you have already figured out, warriors (and acolytes with carapace) can give a 4+ majority. Another thing you can do is use the terrain around you to get a nice cover save.

Inquisitors can be used by themselves too; just give them a psycannon and you're good to go. Sometimes terminator armor is taken because it lets you fire the psycannon at full range while on the move. Targeters are also useful because they're dirt cheap.

I haven't really tested them much yet, but in the mech Inquisition lists I've been making recently have something along the lines of this for their HQ:
    Lord w/ bolt pistol, power weapon, carapace
    3 warriors w/ [grenade launcher/plasma gun/melta gun]
    (variable #) acolytes w/ carapace and bolters
    Rhino w/ extra armor + smoke

This configuration was made for a WH list though; for a DH one, I would probably give the inquisitor a psycannon instead. If the army includes deep striking GK, then a teleport homer would be a nice addition.

Hope this helps
    There is no such thing as a plea for innocence in my court. A plea for innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
    - Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It helps alot actually! you'v got me thinking of it less as a psyker unit and more of a possible long range shooty squad which looks much more viable. On that note I would think one would add a chirugean to a WH Inq sqaud to ignore the 1st wound every turn?
    Also I'm reading about the sage and pondering : is reroll "A" failed roll to hit every turn mean one hit roll or any amount?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x1)

I use my Inquisitor for two reasons;

1 - Given Terminator Armour and a Psycannon he makes a nice fire platform, and due to his IC status (until 5th edition anyway) he is almost untargetable. The Terminator Armour is needed so he can move and still fire xx".

2 - Allows me to take assassins. I run 3 Death Cultists and either the Callidus or Eversor.

I never give him psychic powers, just cannot see the point.

With Sages I have taken this to mean that one failed roll to hit can be re-rolled, sort of a cheap twin-linked weapon. Best used with a Plasma Cannon gun servitor so that if it overheats on the first shot you can re-roll (and hopefully not overheat again).

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by dinodeanpostcat; May 18th, 2008 at 10:55. Reason: extra information

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How does the Tarmor affects the Lords shooting? Basically the PC is a assault ( halved range)/heavy gun. Heavy, when not moved, assault, when moved. So i don't really get it. Without the T armor what are merits that he looses?
    SemperFidelis

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x6)

How does the Tarmor affects the Lords shooting? Basically the PC is a assault ( halved range)/heavy gun. Heavy, when not moved, assault, when moved. So i don't really get it. Without the T armor what are merits that he looses?
    If he's in terminator armour he doesn't lose anything when he moves. Models in termy armour may move and shoot heavy weapons as though they did not move, additionally if he wants to attack he may do so.
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x1)

Although if my Inquisitor gets into close combat he's as good as dead really.

He moves behind a screen of PAGK and lends his fire where required. Also the PAGK screen can deploy so as they are always the closest target, thus making him untargetable.

+ Reply to Thread