Guard vs. Guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guard vs. Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guard vs. Guard

My regular opponent and I are both working on IG armies right now and plan to start blasting away at each other soon. I think it will be great fun, what about you? Ever played Guard on Guard?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x4)

Depends on how each of you play. If it's both horde armies... enjoy the dice game and you may want to take some breaks to stop from going insane.
    A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, it'll be good to see a lasgun wound on a 4+ instead of 5+ or 6+!
    Imperial Guard: 3000 pts
    Chaos Daemons: 1000 pts

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

I've played guard vs guard before - it can be a whole lotta fun! You might find that the humble lasgun becomes highly worthwhile, too.

I've only played against IG in cities of death games, however, so that might change the dynamic a lot. Was fun though!
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guard vs Guard is always a fun game to watch, the movement phase takes forever though...then again so does the shooting. Ya definitely take a break in there.
    "The only hatred any man should hone, is hatred against himself for not being able to serve the Emperor to his full extent. This is the hatred he should unleash upon the enemy, and in doing so, the Emperor will protect."

Master Lucius, Chapter Master of the Noble Templars

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Movement will be next to none. Heavy flamers and deep-striking sentinels with heavy flamers will be king!

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    -170 (x0)

Personally I find IG vs IG games dull, but that's just me.

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Two mechanised IG armies going against eachother is a whole lot of fun. Plenty of movement, shooting and even melee combat.
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

For the first and last time ever, I heartily suggest flamers - especially if you're using plenty of cover. I'm currently doing a stretch of guard v guard and they're nothing short of lethal (read: everything touched by the template dies on a 3+, that's it.)

With drop troops slinging command squads with 2x, remnant squads with x1, and maybe special weapons squads with x2 in leads to horrific casualties. (Mostly theirs unless you scatter badly)

Oh, and as a nice option i'm tending to alternate between lots and lots of armour, and no armour exept indirect fire basilisks. (In the last game 3x turns in a row it hit a vehicle and immobalised them. S9 Ordenance? good tank/transport killer.)

And I always stress just how much everyone should shove a lasgun on their sergants, however against guardsmen i'd go laspistol and ccw - and maybe vet sergants (or for the deep striking / infiltrating squads anyway).
    If dropping veteran sgnts get melta bombs for the oppertune kills. (I've found krak just aren't reliable enough, fine if they're free, but there's no garantee they'll do anything) - Oh, and for extreme humour, don't forget most rear armours are 10, and against vehicles frag grenades have a str of 4 - if you have 6x man remnant squads one may well do the trick (Read : 2x guardsmen charged my leman russ and killed it. I was distressed.) - I do not advocate putting frags on guardsmen normally though, and certainly not on your line squads (command and special weapons squads with laspistol & ccw's could use them if you can spare the points, but never, ever with a lasgun)

Close order drill can be good, but be very wary of template weapons - it's not worth it if you will get smashed.

Light infantry = infiltrate for your lasguns (it's not a bad plan against anyone)

Oh, Imperator100 is exactly on the money, sentinals - which can deep strike - will rock - your puny S3 guard opponents can't do anything but get slaughtered in melee. As an observation, that does appear to be one of his favorite units and vehicles (Heavy flamers on sentinals).
    Admittedly, 90% of my answers advocate last chancers in some form or the other (Not vs guard really, I do as i love them, and their melee potential is great, along with BS4 Lascannons, but the initial cost for shaeffer himself and kage isn't really worth it - I'd normally get x8 so i don't have to get a second infantry squad, but you can now use all the 2nd command squad with drop troops and flamers, and it's a waste giving shaeffers men flamers.
    Last edited by stayscrunchyinmilk; May 20th, 2008 at 13:35. Reason: added punctuation and spacing

Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph Of Man View Post
    Personally I find IG vs IG games dull, but that's just me.
    I second that. Its like watching a NASCAR race ... hey look they are making a left turn, there goes another left turn, oh look they are making another left turn... I bet you will never guess what happens next.
    Last edited by WraithGuardian; May 19th, 2008 at 00:05.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)