What kind of Guard do you play? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x4)

What kind of Guard do you play?

To clarify I mean things like homeworld, background, doctrines, play style, etc. A lot of you probably play one of the pre-fabricated Guard to which I just ask the army and any special things you may have done with your's.

But to those of you who have added a bit of flavour to them, please, go ahead and post a short synopsis of the things listed above (basic details, a life story isn't really called for).

A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cadians because I actually like them now and it’s cheap enough, well cheap when compared to resin or metal, to collect.

Nothing to quirky I have a converted HSO, JSO, HV squad I have added Space Wolves pelts to my Sergeants and a have other bits here and there to reflect a semi-religious zeal. My theme is urban warfare, which is reflected in the camo and bases.

They are the Cadian 303rd, C Company led by Alexander Thor, and that’s about it beyond a few bits. I don’t go much in for fluff.

Style is pretty much a static gun line, some mobile elements; I have plans for an infantry hoard CC list and a mechanised list if/when we get plastic storm troopers.
    Last edited by Liffrea; May 19th, 2008 at 12:29.

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

Im gradually replacing my cadian troops with metal Mordian minis- so far ive only got 3 infantry squads and a command squad completely Mordians.

I use a non-doctrines list with a balance of troops, mostly armed with H bolter and granade launcher although there is a smattering of lascannons, and heavy options (Leman Russes) and some more unusual stuff like Rough Riders and Ogryns- basically jack of all trades master of none
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Watcher In The Sky Beardy_Wierdy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x4)

Cadian models, no heavy weapons and a few sentinels.

Conversions tend to be small thus far because I cant afford to replace things if I balls them up trying to do something mental.

And most of my models are actually catachans from back when they were the only available plastic (yes I have been too poor to do my army properly for five years, I am a student, what did you expect?)

The regiment?

51st Shatterstone MI, drop troops and psykers are the most unique doctrines I have. And I use drop troops in the way thre emperor intended. EVERYTHING drops in.

There is some fluff on here somewhere, but I wrote it pissed and possibly in the early hours of the morning, so it probably isnt exactly what I usually have in mind when thinking about my army (which is based on a starship troopers theme if you didnt get it from the "MI" in the name).
    The name refers to facial hair, not playing style.

Quote Originally Posted by A news vendor's stand, London, June 1940
    French sign peace treaty: we're in the finals!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My current guard are based on the band of brothers books/ film. Obviously everthing has drop troops ,for fluff, and light infantry ,for usefulness.Some storm troopers represeting the SAS troops that easy company manage to rescue from behind german lines. And well a russ. Supposedly a sherman they met up with on their campaign.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

I play an Afriel clone army list.
    The article i based this off of was White Dwarf 302 (i only do friendly matches so legality is not an issue)
    You have to use one doctrine point to be able to unlock abhuman doctrines and then another doctrine to use afriel

Afriel troops have "and they shall know no fear" because they are cloned from many heroes of the immperium from the past. the cloning process makes them albino so most of my army (cadian plastic troops) have only their face painted an off white color and i have catachan troops painted the same color to represent veterans/storm troopers

I also plan to get Rough Riders in the future with albino horses
    "Thank him who puts me loath to this revenge on you who wrong me not for him who wrongd"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just now starting guard, but im going full dkok

i may or may not stick with the dkok background, i just like the minis

just got 3 squads and a few mortar teams in the last week, picking up more as they pop up on ebay
    leave the moderating to the moderators

if pro is the opposite of con, does that mean progress is the opposite of congress?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play the Vostroyan Firstborn and my doctrines are

Sharpshooters
    Carapace Armour
    Harden Fighters
    Cyber-Enhancements
    Die-Hards

and I also add alot of heavy tanks like just resantly i got a Baneblade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a based around the Cadian 122nd wich there is an good amount of background story to in the first Cityfight codex (not cities of death)
    alot of themeing around city ruins and such and my army stands at 1k
    Cameoline
    Light Infantry
    special weapons squads (infiltrating demo charges can be ALOT of fun)
    Ogryns
    Iron Discipline

i also have a cadian/catachan plastic combo to resemble hardened regulars in a guerilla style to wich some extent looks like vietnam veterans. and i named them Jumael`s 1st `Lucky Aces` from the small reference in the 2nd Imperial Guard Codex
    a total of 4k pts in all.
    I use pretty much the same doctrines except the Veterans. 3 units packed with all sort of nastyness as my firebase.

AND for last i also have a 1500pts Deathworld Army

I rarely field tanks at all, spending the points on more men,h.weapons and conscripts. my tactics revolve around a fighting withdraw with alot of heavy weapons giving cover fire and killing tanks.

Many see tanks as essential and the hard tip of an Imperial Guard Spear but i see them as a liability and a point sink.more men the better, i field around 200 men including my unit of 50 conscripts.but as with the 5th Ed of 40K and the rumours of not being able to shoot through your own units anymore and the longelivity of the new tank rules i guess its back to going tank heavy with a minimal of infantry

"sigh"Gone are the glorious days of fighting in the jungles with the Deathworld list.
    now that was a fun I.G list to play and i highly recommend trying it against either a tyranid force, orks or another I.G army!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x4)

Alright I always shy away from posting my own in the first post because on any forum it tends to lead more toward help/constructive criticism instead of the intended goal.

That said, I play Armoured Company. The tanks are going to be: Black drybrushed with dark flesh drybrushed with blood red and the highlights will be drybrushed blazing orange. Homeworld is Draci III (it's one of the planets in the star system for the SM army I was planning on doing but didn't) which is a hiveworld that specializes in making weaponry. Due to the toxic nature of the planet not many guard will be shown, making it a fairly ghostlike design and when one does see them (Armoured Fists) they will be in re-breathers and have bionics. I'm setting them as a later company and the Commander and Aces are from a tank squad from one of the earlier Companies. Background is sort of fresh, since they are just going to be starting and the background will be built from game-play. I intend to have myself set up to handle all three rule sets but will try and convince anyone I play to let me use 3rd Ed's (the one from GW's website, it's possibly the most balanced and simple list of the three (the first printing from 3rd was horridly overpowered since the point costs were so low)). Anyone who has a problem with playing against an AC army can kiss my left cheek!
    A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast