Really Need Reassurance - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really Need Reassurance

Hi All,
    Before I explain why I needed to post this let me tell you a bit about my 40k past.
    Encouraged by my friend I started collecting a necron army a short time before 4th Ed came out and really enjoyed collecting an playing 40k. I entered and did well in local tournaments with my necrons. After a while I came to realise that all my battles were becoming the same and I was starting to lose interest in gaming. After dabbling for a short time in Inquisitor a backdated white dwarf article inspired me to collect Deathwing.
    After buying my first two squads and a dread and with the help of a friend who had a huge DA collection I started playing deathwing at my local club. I started to really enjoy gaming again with the thrills and spills deathwing could provide.
    So you can get a basic idea of the way I played, here is my most common army list.

Grandmaster of the DW with sword of secrets and storm bolter.
    Command squad with two assault cannons, an apothecary and a standard bearer with that cool standard from the old dark angels codex that let one squad shoot twice in a turn once per game.
    This squad usually traveled in a land raider.

A moderately kitted out librarian (In Terminator armour) that always joined with a squad of 7 assault terminators and traveled in a land raider crusader

A squad of 5 normal termies with two cyclones and a sarge. Depending on who I was playing I would deep strike this squad or provide static fire support

to finish off I had a dreadnought with the assault cannon and Flamer

Of this force both land raiders and the terminator assault squad were borrowed from my friend with the DA.

Unfortunately not too long after this deathwing army was forming a lack of cash, heavy schoolwork and greatly increased sporting commitments meant that I could no longer do the hobby and my collection was put away.
    Now about three years later I found myself with a little spare money and a desire to get back into warhammer. I borrowed a copy of the new dark angels codex from a member of the local club and began to relearn about the dark angels.

This is where my first shock came.
    Gone are terminator squads with more than 5 members
    Gone are squads with two assault cannons or cyclone launchers
    Gone is the sword of secrets for my grandmaster
    Gone are ALL the unique and interesting Dark Angels standards
    Gone is the challenge of gaming with a 'pure' deathwing army

Admittedly I can now mix squads of CC and normal terminators (1 heavy weapon! yay!)
    I can now take any DA unit in my Deathwing army (if I wanted to collect dark angels I would, but I dont, I want to collect Deathwing!)
    The Deathwing has changed for me from a unique hard hitting concentrated force that needed to be implemented very tactically into a gimmick that is only useful for a DA commander wanting that one squad of 1st turn deep striking termies and a decent HQ to go with them (but come on sword of silence?? If I wanted a master crafted power sword then I would get one from the armory like everybody else.)

If you think my thoughts on the current deathwing are misconceptions from a grumpy person that is having a cry that they cannot still make their old army list then please please post and show me how you would make an interesting and fun to use pure deathwing army.

Thankyou for reading this long post and please help stop me from turning away from the hobby again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

*Sigh*..no one's gonna take this? OK then

Quote Originally Posted by Torpedo_23 View Post
    Hi All,
    Before I explain why I needed to post this let me tell you a bit about my 40k past.
    Encouraged by my friend I started collecting a necron army a short time before 4th Ed came out and really enjoyed collecting an playing 40k. I entered and did well in local tournaments with my necrons. After a while I came to realise that all my battles were becoming the same and I was starting to lose interest in gaming. After dabbling for a short time in Inquisitor a backdated white dwarf article inspired me to collect Deathwing.
    That's awesome, I love Deathwing!!:party2:

This is where my first shock came.
    Gone are terminator squads with more than 5 members
    Gone are squads with two assault cannons or cyclone launchers
    Gone is the sword of secrets for my grandmaster
    Gone are ALL the unique and interesting Dark Angels standards
    Gone is the challenge of gaming with a 'pure' deathwing army
    Yes..yes they are. It's not all bad I suppose..and what do you mean gone is the challenge? I'm not exactly sure what you mean.

Admittedly I can now mix squads of CC and normal terminators (1 heavy weapon! yay!)
    I can now take any DA unit in my Deathwing army (if I wanted to collect dark angels I would, but I dont, I want to collect Deathwing!)
    The Deathwing has changed for me from a unique hard hitting concentrated force that needed to be implemented very tactically into a gimmick that is only useful for a DA commander wanting that one squad of 1st turn deep striking termies and a decent HQ to go with them (but come on sword of silence?? If I wanted a master crafted power sword then I would get one from the armory like everybody else.)
    Yay all the fun new stuff!!8X Hey, hey, don't bash Belial, he's sooooo cool. At first, I hated the master craft thing, but I love it now

If you think my thoughts on the current deathwing are misconceptions from a grumpy person that is having a cry that they cannot still make their old army list then please please post and show me how you would make an interesting and fun to use pure deathwing army.
    I am assuming by your grumpy, downed attitude you've tried the new list in at least 10 games? If not, then go, try, then if you still don't like it come back to this thread and whip it all you want, but it aint all bad. Make sure your games are against, at least, semi-competent players

Thankyou for reading this long post and please help stop me from turning away from the hobby again.
    Well, although a bit harsh, I am just trying to slap you with reality. Heck, I may not like all the new 5th edition BS either, but I will have to learn it just like I had to this new codex. So enjoy the game, use 3 dreadnoughts, or all assualt terminators with hvy flamers; whatever gets your game goin!! If that fails, come back, and we'll discuss

Peace:happy:
    JOIN MY SQUAD IN THE SONS OF THE LIBRARIUM THREAD, I NEED TACTICAL MARINES! I PLAN TO CONVERT UP A SQUAD TO "COUNT AS" LoTD IN MY SMarine ARMY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for replying much appreciated

what do you mean gone is the challenge? I'm not exactly sure what you mean.
    Challenge probably wasn't the right word, I just meant that now I can build a Deathwing army and then, Hey why not just slap on some assault marines, a devastator squad or for my personal favourite Ezekiel the master of the libraray (no sarcasm there, Ezekiel is a really cool model and character.) I also didn't mention that the powers that be took away Interrogator Chaplain 'People don't kill people, I kill people' Asmodai and Scout sergeant -'Do you want power armor? -Naa Man

I am assuming by your grumpy, downed attitude you've tried the new list in at least 10 games? If not, then go, try, then if you still don't like it come back to this thread and whip it all you want, but it aint all bad. Make sure your games are against, at least, semi-competent players
    You got me on this one. Unfortunately the friend who used to lend me the land raiders and assault termies has moved out of town which leaves me with a deathwing force consisting of:
    A master of the deathwing with a sword of secrets, no wait silence and a chainfist (which is no longer legal.)
    A Terminator librarian with a force axe and missing a right arm (teleportation malfunction)
    10 normal termies, 2 with Assault cannons and 2 with cyclones

of course under the new codex I can only use 2 heavy weapon troopers at once meaning that I can no longer fill out a FOC. (For Shame)
    Also my brother was reading over my shoulder at semi-competent players and said 'How do they know?'
    I think that just about sums up my main opponent.

Thanks again for the reply but if you or anyone else could post some of your squad compositions and/or basic tactics then I could learn from (read: Blatantly Copy) them for my own army.

use 3 dreadnoughts
    I like this, I like this alot

I also like the idea of having lightning claw termies with cyclones, so I believe I will try a few non-wysiwyg games to get a better feel for the new Deathwing and then return, most likely with more moaning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

It's true that now you can mix deathwing with any other dark angels units, and even with ravenwing. But first of all you don't have to, and second of all it gives you more flexibility - pure deathwing armies used to be a one trick pony.

As for the basic guidelines - try to always take an odd number of termi squads, becouse you can deep strike half of them rounding up.

Ravenwing can be invaluable for deepstriking your terminators right were you want them. They have a scout move, and teleport homers with means you can deep strike in the first turn about 18" from your deployment zone, and without scattering.
    Furthermore they can really help with antytank when equiped with meltaguns.

If you want a pure deathwing then just take termis and dreads/land riders.
    "One must do violence to the object of one's desire; when it surrenders, the pleasure is greater."

Marquis De Sade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply mika but I am really only interested in a 'pure' deathwing army

Quote Originally Posted by mika View Post

If you want a pure deathwing then just take termis and dreads/land riders.
    um... OK I hadn't thought of that before

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x1)

Well, as a big fan of the Deathwing myself (and only marginally crippled by the reduction in heavy weapons since each squad had 6 members with 2 heavy weapons) I understand where you are coming from.

My Deathwing army (In all it's Glory) consists of:

Belial

Terminator Command Squad (5 Termies, w/ Assault Cannon, Apothecary and Standard Bearer)

Librarian Zamzael

Chaplain Veritas

Terminator Squad (6 Squads)
    Assault Cannon
    Chain Fist

Terminator Squad (2 Squads)
    Cyclone Missile Launcher

Heavy Flamer
    Chain Fist

Lightning Claws

Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield

Dreadnought Razgriz
    Assault Cannon
    CCW w/ Heavy Flamer

Dreadnought Lazarus
    TL Lascannon
    Missile Launcher

Dreadnaught Ofnir
    Plasma Cannon
    CCW/Storm Bolter

Dreadnought Baphomet (Mortis Pattern)
    TL Autocannon -OR- Missile Launcher
    TL Autocannon -OR- Missile Launcher

Land Raider Sandalphon
    Crusader Pattern

Land Raider Zentheus
    Mars Pattern

Land Raider Raziel
    Mars Pattern

As you can see, I have a pretty wide selection of terminators to choose from.

Normally I take Belial and a friend (Chaplain or Librarian)

And then I choose my squads based on where I plan on having them. long range foot-sloggers I'll take cyclones. lots of deep striking, I'll take assault cannons. Lots of vehicles, and I take the assault marines.

There are a lot of different configurations that will work. But the deathwing, especially with the new codex, will either win big, or lose big. There is rarely any middle ground.

Respectfully,
    --Forsaken
    * "I'm Significant!" -screamed the dust speck
    * "Call me old fashioned, but an evil ascension to power just isn't the same without someone chanting faux Latin in the background."

+ Reply to Thread