Tank Theory: to the Death! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tank Theory: to the Death!

5th Edition rules in mind!
    Leman Russ versus .... Just thoughts on the overall performance of a leman russ in theoretical one on one battle. 6by4 table, strating 4 feet apart at opposite centers of long edges. Russ is standard ordnance plus dakka config with other options considered but not in stone. (track guards, extra armour, smoke)

Leman Russ: Battle Cannon, Pintle H. Stubber, Hull H. Bolter, Sponson H. Bolters

Leman Russ vs Predator Destructor
    Pred: Autocannon, Pintle Storm Bolter, Sponson Heavy Bolters
    .Fire Control
    --Ballistics = Pred
    --Rate of Fire = Russ
    --Range = Russ
    .Penetration = Russ
    .Maneuverability = no advantage
    .Survivability = Russ (Range, AV, and Track Guard Option)
    .Economy = Pred

Result: Tank lucky enough to go first attempts to move for a shot on side armour while keeping front armour facing. Pred uses up it's smoke when faced with russ' front armour. Russ destroys pred with two rounds of shooting.

Leman Russ vs Predator Annihalator
    Pred: Twin Linked Lascannon, Sponson Lascannons
    .Fire Control
    --Ballistics = Pred
    --Rate of Fire = Russ
    --Range = Russ
    .Penetration = Pred
    .Survivability = Russ (Range, AV, and Track Guard Option )
    .Economy = Pred

Result: Tank lucky enough to go first attempts to move for a shot on side armour while keeping front armour facing. Pred fires on front armour instead of using smoke. Predator cripples and then destroys russ.

Leman Russ vs Vindicator
    Vindicator: Demolisher Cannon, Pintle Storm Bolter
    .Fire Control
    --Ballistics = no advantage
    --Rate of Fire = Russ
    --Range = Russ
    .Penetration = Vindicator
    .Survivability = Russ (Range, AV, and Track Guard Option )
    .Economy = Vindicator

Result: Russ begins firing stationary. As vindicator moves, russ moves toward a flank and continues fire. Vindicator deploys smoke before being destroyed. Russ destroys vindicator before it can corner russ and unleash demolisher rounds. Russ outranges and destroys vindicator.

Leman Russ vs Landraider
    Raider: Twin Linked Heavy Bolter, Sponson Twin Linked Lascannons
    .Fire Control
    --Ballistics = Raider
    --Rate of Fire = Russ
    --Range = Russ
    .Penetration = Raider
    .Maneuverability = Raider (power of the machine spirit)
    .Survivability = Raider (power of the machine spirit, AV all round)
    .Economy = Russ

Result: Leman russ moves away and fires. Land raider movesforward at double speed and fires twin linked lascannon. Fight goes on until raider destroys russ. Land raider dominates russ off the start.

Leman Russ vs Hammerhead
    Hammerhead: Railgun, SMS, all the other neccessary goodies.
    .Fire Control
    --Ballistics = Hammer Head
    --Rate of Fire = Russ
    --Range = no advantage
    .Penetration = Hammer Head
    .Maneuverability = Hammer Head
    .Survivability = Hammer Head (not as great an advantage with the skimmer nerf)
    .Economy = Hammer Head

Result: Hammerhead uses maneuverabilty maintain hull down position and attempt to circle russ. Russ attemps to mirror. Hammerhead manages to penetrate with railgun. leman russ is left smouldering. Hammerhead slices open russ.

feel free to add other matches... like dakka russ versus monolith.. lol....
    If you do add please state wether using 4th or 5th Ed rules.

Imperial Guard Variants 69/20/9
    Space Wolves 17/16/2
    I.G. Armoured Company 7/3/2
    Deamonhunters 1/2/1
    I.G. BFG 0/1/2

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

I am trying to understand why compare these tanks. Each has a completely different function, cost and each belongs to a different race. Neither a vindicator nor a normal predator usualy has a chance or even a need to destroy another tank since both are based on anti-infantry. A land raider is in its world, where it can do some things ok but cant do anything well, and should definitely never be compared to a russ. I mean some of these vehicles are on opposite sides of the spectrum and obviously should never be used against one another.
    Last edited by WraithGuardian; June 11th, 2008 at 05:19.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's just for fun. It's like asking why you would do an areana battle one on one between ghazgull and yarrick.
    Space Wolves 17/16/2
    Deamonhunters 1/2/1
    I.G. BFG 0/1/2

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x4)

Why are you taking an anti-infantry geared Leman Russ against a bunch of tanks? This Leman Russ is totally kitted out for INFANTRY ONLY. If you swapped the hull heavy bolter with a hull mounted Lascannon then it would have had a better chance.
    A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

I was very, VERY drunk. thechaplain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x3)

Yeah - I have to say - if you were going to use the Russ against these tanks you would want to use a lascannon.

And I also have to disagree with many of your predicted outcomes - the major advantage of the Russ is that it can fire ordnance, which is more effective at destroying vehicles than other things. Personally - I think it would be a very inexperienced player who tries to out-run a Land Raider or out-manouver a Hammerhead. I'd personally just get hull down and blaze away at both with my ordnance (assuming we live in some kind of crazy mixed up world where I didn't have any heavy weapon squads whatsoever to deal with these things!)

You seem to really under-estimate the Russ - it is supposed to be a very good, very effective, very cheap tank - and that it is. You rely on the principle that the Guard player would just play to the strengths of the opponent - we have enough disadvantages, so we try to void doing that!

That's why I'm seriously looking forward to the squads of three Russes that are supposedly coming with the new codex.

Come on!!8X
    Last edited by thechaplain; June 11th, 2008 at 12:49.

Hellhounds are good tanks Dakka,Dakka,Dakka's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

you tried a russ, a anti infantry vehicle, if you want to put a guard tank against other tanks and want to give it a chance(you gave the predator the weapons it needs to be effective so give th russ the ones it needs) use a leman russ Vanquisher, i believe the tables will turn quite quickly, the only thing that might kill it would be the hammerhead, because it has too many advantages, but if the russ hits it just once, then the hammerhead would be done(unless it moved 12 and becomes glancing............)
    Hellhounds are good tanks

Satan - "**** you Kage! And **** you Jables! I'll get you Tenacious DDDDdddddddeeeeee!!!!!!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, i would also like to point out (specifically w/ the LR, since i know the price off the top of my head ) that the russ would outnumber it 2:1 (roughly) and then it would at least be fair(ish). I mean in a lot of these battles the russ is outpointsed (is that a word?). My best friend plays guard, and correct me if im wrong, but guard doesnt place it's strength in a few, elite tanks (like LRs, for example), but getting a bunch of metiocre vehicles and just covering my half of the board with around 85 templates.
    The Iron Legion
    Space Marine Chapter
    W L D
    3 0 1
    All draws are due to time limits, I always try to fight to the bitter end.

Hellhounds are good tanks Dakka,Dakka,Dakka's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

not quite that many templates, you need 2000 points to do that XD........................

im just saying that if you take a barebone vanguisher, it will beat everything 2/3rd's of the time......

if your gonna go there, the destroyer tank hunter is a powerful tank too XD(glance everything on a 4 or better, and what you use ballistic skill, and whats this, its ordanance so you get 2 dice and pick highest, lol..........your bound to get one 4 with 2 dice........
    Hellhounds are good tanks

Satan - "**** you Kage! And **** you Jables! I'll get you Tenacious DDDDdddddddeeeeee!!!!!!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep having fun guys
    Space Wolves 17/16/2
    Deamonhunters 1/2/1
    I.G. BFG 0/1/2

+ Reply to Thread