SharpShooters - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SharpShooters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SharpShooters

I have a quick question concerning the sharpshooters doctrine.

In the description, it says a guardsman can make a single re-roll of a shooting to hit roll of 1. Now, does this mean that he can re-roll only once, as in per game? Or, is it any time he rolls a 1 to hit, he can re-roll it but not if he rolls another 1 again. As in normal re-roll rules. Say, if a guardsman is in rapid fire range, and rolls 1,1. does he re-roll both of those? or only once.

Also, if every shot can be re-rolled do the points make it effective to have your whole army take sharpshooters. Or, is it just close enough points wise that it doesn't matter. Or, is it horribly over priced for your whole army to take this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He can re roll one 1 per shooting phase.

if he rolls snake eyes, he only rerolls one of them.

If you roll a one each round of shooting, you get to reroll each of them.

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Chade View Post
    I have a quick question concerning the sharpshooters doctrine.

In the description, it says a guardsman can make a single re-roll of a shooting to hit roll of 1. Now, does this mean that he can re-roll only once, as in per game? Or, is it any time he rolls a 1 to hit, he can re-roll it but not if he rolls another 1 again. As in normal re-roll rules. Say, if a guardsman is in rapid fire range, and rolls 1,1. does he re-roll both of those? or only once.

Also, if every shot can be re-rolled do the points make it effective to have your whole army take sharpshooters. Or, is it just close enough points wise that it doesn't matter. Or, is it horribly over priced for your whole army to take this.

You can, by convention, re-roll any shot where you originally rolled a 1. (Excepting plasma weaponry). So for a rapid fired result of 1 and 1, you get to re-roll both shots once if you so wish. You do raise an interesting point here - the wording could be interpreted either way. However, convention (and practicality) means this can used all game, not just the once.

As for your second question, regarding effectiveness, well, mathematically its not often worthwhile applying the doctrine to your entire army. Heavy weapon teams, perhaps more so, but otherwise, for every 6 infantry squads with the doctrine, you could have 7 without. Shooting wise, and purely regards to lasguns, I believe (haven't done the math for a while though) that the 7 squads have a slight edge, as well as providing another scoring unit.

But as I said, heavy weapon teams may be different - there are many people around who will go to great lengths telling you how awesome a combination this can be. Espescially with 3 heavy bolters or similar.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Cadaver Junkie; June 17th, 2008 at 07:00.
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would be one of those people who swear by their use in Heavy Weapon Teams. At such a relatively negligible cost per squad, they allow you to squeeze vital shots out of things like Lascannons - teams that are tasked with very important goals like crippling Land Raiders or other heavy tanks. They really shine when throwing lots of dice however (like with Heavy Bolters) - I have doubled my number of hits, when I got "lucky" and rolled lots of ones, something that was much needed when the genestealers were bearing down on me.

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    -170 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by lain2k3 View Post
    He can re roll one 1 per shooting phase.

if he rolls snake eyes, he only rerolls one of them.

If you roll a one each round of shooting, you get to reroll each of them.
    This is incorrect. Please check the FAQ for details.

You may reroll any 1s rolled during the shooting phase for a unit upgraded with Sharpshooters, provided of course the gun isn't a plasmagun or a sniper rifle.

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph Of Man View Post
    This is incorrect. Please check the FAQ for details.

You may reroll any 1s rolled during the shooting phase for a unit upgraded with Sharpshooters, provided of course the gun isn't a plasmagun or a sniper rifle.
    But you can only re-roll a dice once.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Just remember that if u roll a 1, then reroll the die and get another 1, you CANNOT reroll the second 1. You can never reroll a rerolled dice.

Sharp shooters makes its points back easily in a round of shooting when applied to heavy weapons

i used light infantry and sharpshooters on 2 anti tank squads of lascannons. it sounds over priced, but not when your opponet is running pure GK
    Last edited by sendaf; June 17th, 2008 at 16:33.
    "Thank him who puts me loath to this revenge on you who wrong me not for him who wrongd"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They really should word the rules a bit better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rules are clear -

• re-roll all 1's, accept the results.

• doesn't work on plasma or sniper rifles.

• applied to entire unit, therefore you must buy it for each unit.

there really is no confusion.

Peace.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    141 (x3)

It's an absolute god send for lascannons. If you have an anti-tank squad with 3 LCs and sharp, it can be brutal. I used two such squads once against a chaos player and tabled his nurgle army.

It's not as useful for heavy bolters, but autocannons can still get some decent milage out of being sharp.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast