Are hellhounds overpowered for 5th edition? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hellhounds are good tanks Dakka,Dakka,Dakka's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

Are hellhounds overpowered for 5th edition?

The hellhound is the epitome of anti infantry, and in the next edition, will be the most feared vehicle in the IG arsenal(i just bought a 2nd XD)

strength that is double the toughness of anything not MEQ or special, causing instant death

ap good enough to kill anything without power armor or it's equivalent

and it has the only flamer with a range, in the game

and since it's a flamer, it ignores cover

so this means that against eldar, tau, nids, orks, daemons, dark eldar, and other guard, it is the nastiest thing on the board

think about it, reaches the enemy lines on turn 1 or 2, has a template so covers more than 1, cuts their armor, removes their cover save, is double toughness so kills multi wound characters, has good armor and since in 5th glancing doesnt kill its even nastier,

what would you do if there were 3 hellhounds charging at your lines, and had smoke so they survive your shooting phase

What are your thoughts?

pyromaniacs are gonna love 5th edition XD(please read signature on bottom XD)

Hellhounds are good tanks

Satan - "**** you Kage! And **** you Jables! I'll get you Tenacious DDDDdddddddeeeeee!!!!!!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

They are good, but they'll be powerful, not dominating. Vs marines? all saves. They move 6", have a really short range (for vehicle weaponry) and the armour will only "have to do".
    They are exellent at killing eldar, it has to be said. (Pathfinders? where?) - but only after they're out of vehicles.

it has it's uses, and will be better, but they're not goldbricks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dakka,Dakka,Dakka View Post
    The hellhound is the epitome of anti infantry, and in the next edition, will be the most feared vehicle in the IG arsenal(i just bought a 2nd XD)

strength that is double the toughness of anything not MEQ or special, causing instant death

so this means that against eldar, tau, nids, orks, daemons, dark eldar, and other guard, it is the nastiest thing on the board

think about it, reaches the enemy lines on turn 1 or 2, has a template so covers more than 1, cuts their armor, removes their cover save, is double toughness so kills multi wound characters, has good armor and since in 5th glancing doesnt kill its even nastier,

what would you do if there were 3 hellhounds charging at your lines, and had smoke so they survive your shooting phase

What are your thoughts?

if im not mistaken all glances on a hellhound are upgraded to penetrating.

sorry nevermind i was thinking of 3rd edition.
    "What good are the Imperial Guard, If not to die for the Emporer!" - Dawn of War

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x4)

Yeah, the hellhound is a great tank at 115 pts, but they arnt that good. AS with anything in the guard, its run of the mill; has its good points but also a slew of bad ones. Im still going to take my pair of them, but they wont be winning any games anytime soon. They are simply a distraction for the AT squads of my enemy.

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Dakka,Dakka,Dakka View Post

What are your thoughts?

Maybe not overpowered, however I have had these thoughts myself. They will indeed be useful! There's no denying that. I'm seriously considering getting one from forgeworld...

Ain't it beautiful?
    And this one too...
    Last edited by Cadaver Junkie; June 18th, 2008 at 04:04.
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am buying a pair of Chimeras, and making alternate turrets with double hull-flamers (to represent the Inferno Cannons) and fuel tanks to slip on over the three lasguns to allow them to be Hellhounds when necessary. I am looking forward to using them wherever possible, especially against Tyranids.

I don't expect miracles from them, especially with 5th edition meaning their hull heavy bolter is almost useless. That said, are all models touched by its template now hit automatically, or is that only the 3" and 5" templates? I do like their ability to flush things out of cover.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

While the Hellhound has a very, very nice gun, it is still based on a Chimera chassis and therefore won't last long when singled out by dedicated antitank units. That's the equalizer. Besides, in 5th edition there will be no more 'partial hits', which will make the battlecannon and Earthshaker much more potent in their own right.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm planning to start collecting an IG army and hellhounds already seemed cool enough to me, but now they are going to be a pain to fight but a joy to play with unless they bring tons of lascannons or meltas but other than that the idea is pure gold.

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
    While the Hellhound has a very, very nice gun, it is still based on a Chimera chassis and therefore won't last long when singled out by dedicated antitank units. That's the equalizer. Besides, in 5th edition there will be no more 'partial hits', which will make the battlecannon and Earthshaker much more potent in their own right.
    However, there will be cover saves for vehicles, if I remember correctly. So, instead of having something downgraded to glancing on a 4+, it ignores the shot entirely! Plus, you can't die from a single glancing shot = joy!

Quote Originally Posted by cadian315 View Post
    I am buying a pair of Chimeras, and making alternate turrets with double hull-flamers (to represent the Inferno Cannons) and fuel tanks to slip on over the three lasguns to allow them to be Hellhounds when necessary. I am looking forward to using them wherever possible, especially against Tyranids.

I don't expect miracles from them, especially with 5th edition meaning their hull heavy bolter is almost useless. That said, are all models touched by its template now hit automatically, or is that only the 3" and 5" templates? I do like their ability to flush things out of cover.
    There will be no partial hits for any templates, just like with flamers right now. Although, if you 'miss' with the hellhound, you would probably still have to roll for each dude touched anyway, just like now. In fact, the inferno cannon probably wont change much at all, it's main bonus arrives via the plethora of cover saves expected in 5th ed.
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Love hell hounds! I run two in 1,850 along with 2 LRBTS and its brutal! Its a steal for 115pts has decent armor that will only get better in 5th and despite the fact that Marines get there armor saves keep in mind your still wounding them on 2's!!!

The only downside I see to it in 5th is the loss of the ability to move and shoot your heavy bolter with your inferno cannon. Its not that big a deal but it adds insult to injury to pick off a couple enemy models after you torch most of the squad!!
    40k armies
    Imperial Guard-3,250pts
    Blood Angels-2,000pts
    Daemon Hunters-2,000pts

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast