Terminator Inquisitors - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x3)

Terminator Inquisitors

I'm considering using the following ELITE Inquistor attached to two different units:

Ordo Malleus Inquisitor: Psycannon, Power Weapon, Terminator Armour, Targeter.

Here's the two squads I may attach him to:

1). Grey Knight Brother Captain (Hero): Nemesis Force Weapon, Targeter & Psycannon
    +
    Retinue of Grey Knight Terminators: 3 Knights
    - Nemesis Force Weapon & Storm Bolter
    - Nemesis Force Weapon & Psycannon
    - Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield.

This combined squad would be used in Apocalypse games, where it could DS, Flank or just walk.

2). Deathwing Terminator Squad:
    - Sarge with Pair of Lightning Claws, Standard Bearer
    - Terminator with Pair of Lightning Claws, Apothecary
    - Terminator with Pair of Lightning Claws
    - Terminator with Assault Cannon & Chain Fist
    - Terminator with Storm Bolter & Chain Fist

This combined squad would be used in Apocalypse and 40k games, where it would be most likely to use Daethwing Assault (1st turn DS, usually to a Teleport Homer from a DA Biker with 'Scout')

Depending on the game, the Inquisitor could have a Psychic power too, most likely Shrouding vs Chaos.

Using the Inquisitor in Apocalypse would also allow me to have Assassions, without having to have a retinue for the Inquisitor.

I've done one playtest with the Deathwing, and was reasonably impressed. Obviously they don't need much help in Assaults, but his ability to add great shooting from round 1 was pretty good.

I see the guy more as a two Wound shooty Terminator for a reasonable price, than as an Inquisitor with a retinue.

Has anyone run an Inquisitor like this before? What do you think?

Advice would be useful before I buy and convert.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

Hmm, I think you could better let CC to Space marines, and let the Inquisitor stand, hide and shoot. Maybe you could just drop the Powerweapon, and keep him safe because of the Independent character rules?
    Tyranids Win [31]/ Draw [0]/Lost [0]
    Daemon Hunters Win [17]/ Draw [2]/ Lost [1]
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...t&uniqueid=232

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd drop the power wep and the targeter, put him in squad one. I get the idea you're mostly using him for the extra 2 wounds to the squad, but you don't want him to be useless. If that is the case, either drop the power wep and targeter then put him in squad one, or give him just a psycannon (no termie armour or anything else) and make him an IC. Dropping all that other equipment actually saves you almost enough points to buy another terminator.
    I just wanted an avatar that was different.....

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ramon View Post
    I'm considering using the following ELITE Inquistor attached to two different units:

Ordo Malleus Inquisitor: Psycannon, Power Weapon, Terminator Armour, Targeter.

Here's the two squads I may attach him to:

1). Grey Knight Brother Captain (Hero): Nemesis Force Weapon, Targeter & Psycannon
    +
    Retinue of Grey Knight Terminators: 3 Knights
    - Nemesis Force Weapon & Storm Bolter
    - Nemesis Force Weapon & Psycannon
    - Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield.

This combined squad would be used in Apocalypse games, where it could DS, Flank or just walk.

2). Deathwing Terminator Squad:
    - Sarge with Pair of Lightning Claws, Standard Bearer
    - Terminator with Pair of Lightning Claws, Apothecary
    - Terminator with Pair of Lightning Claws
    - Terminator with Assault Cannon & Chain Fist
    - Terminator with Storm Bolter & Chain Fist

This combined squad would be used in Apocalypse and 40k games, where it would be most likely to use Daethwing Assault (1st turn DS, usually to a Teleport Homer from a DA Biker with 'Scout')

Depending on the game, the Inquisitor could have a Psychic power too, most likely Shrouding vs Chaos.

Using the Inquisitor in Apocalypse would also allow me to have Assassions, without having to have a retinue for the Inquisitor.

I've done one playtest with the Deathwing, and was reasonably impressed. Obviously they don't need much help in Assaults, but his ability to add great shooting from round 1 was pretty good.

I see the guy more as a two Wound shooty Terminator for a reasonable price, than as an Inquisitor with a retinue.

Has anyone run an Inquisitor like this before? What do you think?

Advice would be useful before I buy and convert.
    Attached to 1)
    There is a important distinction that The Sgnt comes equipped, in both hands, and you do not. If you were to buy anyone a Psycannon, do it to the Inquisitor so he's equipped and he can also detach and shoot at different targets if required.
    It's also the best addition re usefullness for him, as his BS is pretty good, but his Compared WS isn't (and his strength is dire)

Attached to 2)
    Firstly, i must say as a IG with GK allied player first, then DA army as my second, with efficiency ingrained into me, good squad. (In reg games i'd drop the 2nd Chfst and standard, but nice job.) If he goes here the only thing he's for is psycannon shootyness.

The big problem with him is Str and Tghness. In melee you're on 5's vs marines to wound, which is poor, and his T3 means that even with 2x wounds opponents wound easier and Insta kill alot more.

There's three ways of trying to patch up the STR problem, That's :
    1) Power Fist / Hammer (It's gotta be a hammer, a deamonhammer at that with your armoury options.)
    2) Lightning claws - to re-roll wounds. best used in pairs, so not as optimal as a hammer for the same cost (give the marine claws and him hammer if you really want them). however, exellent Infantry busters. (IMO)
    3) Hammerhand - Have a psycannon, double your strength and get extra attacks! However, the elite Inquisitors LD sucks for Psychic tests, let alone without any nasty effects you'll probably see in the game, so not really an option.

there's no way of patching up the Toughness problem without a retinue (bionics is a entertaining 1 in 6 chance though)

Personally, I'd give him the powerweapon, as otherwise he's got a empty hand, and that's a shame. It's just nice to roll 3x power weapon attacks when charged, (Inc +1 from the armour) even if others in the squad do it better. (oh, so much better)

But the most important point: In apocalypse you don't need a inquisitor to get an assassain. You can ignore prerequisites.

I now have an obsession with converting inquisitors. I started off with a Terminator, giving him Mastercrafted lightning claws (I cut slivers of acrylic, waved heat over them to get the cut marks off, carved romanesque italics into them, then inkwashed with deeper colours e.g. orange blades got a red wash). He looks cool, but he's a godawful points sink in a normal game, and will not get his points back.

P.P.S. I had to get extra termies for belial, a apothecary (swap with squad if used), standard and then a inquisitor.
    Still got a 5th one, may try for another GK Hero conversion, or SM Chaplain (Have head from chaos marauders Sprue like a skull, remove spikes and voila)
    Last edited by stayscrunchyinmilk; June 24th, 2008 at 17:02.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Xilconic View Post
    Hmm, I think you could better let CC to Space marines, and let the Inquisitor stand, hide and shoot. Maybe you could just drop the Powerweapon, and keep him safe because of the Independent character rules?
    The days of relying on the Independent Character rules are coming to a close; the minute the 5th edition rulebook hits, you're going to need to find a new way to use that Inquisitor, as IC's will be able to be targeted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

135 (x4)

Another thought is to spend the 5 extra points to upgrade the power weapon to a Null Rod. This'll make the squad impervious to all psychic powers, and allow them to shoot through the Harlequins' Veil of Tears power, which is fun. This also lets the Inquisitor do something that no-one else can do, which is neat.

One quick note about the Brother-Captain load-out, though: models in Terminator armor may not purchase a Targeter. Check the note at the top of the Daemonhunters' armory, in the bit about the asterisks.

-H
    Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.
    -George Orwell

www.drmcninja.com
    If you're intruiged by doctors who are also ninjas, then this is the webcomic for you!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

128 (x3)

Thanks for the feedback chaps. I must admit that I'm not aware of all the ramifications of 5th yet. Anyway, you given good stuff to think about.

Lord Ramon

+ Reply to Thread