Hellhound Inferno Cannon (Proper Useage) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hellhound Inferno Cannon (Proper Useage)

I have read a few posts recently discussing the merits of the Hellhound, and I just wanted to make my own post about the unique rule pertaining to its Inferno Cannon. As you know, when you use a normal flamer you place the narrow end of the template so that it is touching the base of the firing model and then try and cover as many enemy units with it as you can with the larger end pointed away from your model. I dont know if this is news to anyone here, but you dont have to do that when firing the Inferno Cannon.

Needless to say the Inferno Cannon has a longer range so the template wont be touching the Hellound in most circumstances. However, if you read the rules for the weapon they state that the whole template must be in range and in line of sight, but never make any mention about the orientation of the template. So, you can by the letter of the rules, turn the template sideways or backwards or however you want to cover as may enemy models as long as they are in range and line of sight. If an opponent or red shirt questions you on this you can show them the rules and defy them to produce any other rationale as to why the template must point that way (other than it does seem intuitively correct).

I have heard this rule explained as it being a representation of the massive range of the flames spouting forth from the Inferno Cannon and the ability of the gunner to "strafe" his gout of fire across a unit of enemy troops rather than simply firing a straight shot at them.

Again, I dont know if that is something everyone is already doing, but I do know that I have made a few people in my shop aware of it and they hadnt heard that before.

"No dumb bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. You win a war by making the other dumb bastard die for his country." General George S. Patton, Jr.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Guaardvark View Post
    ... a representation of the massive range of the flames spouting forth... the gunner to "strafe" his gout of fire across a unit of enemy troops rather than simply firing a straight shot at them.
    I always tell people it's napalm.

Hellhounds are good tanks Dakka,Dakka,Dakka's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

basically a hellhound spouts fire up in a arc, and to for the sideways template thing, he turns it while he lobs it(imagine a water gun shooting near vertical, then slowly moving to the right, the splash will be the same as how it is with the hellhound
    Hellhounds are good tanks

Satan - "**** you Kage! And **** you Jables! I'll get you Tenacious DDDDdddddddeeeeee!!!!!!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Hmmm... Maybe you can send E-mails asking an article in a Withe Dwarf about these. I am sure that the writers welcome free ideas for new articles.

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Guaardvark View Post
    I have read a few posts recently discussing the merits of the Hellhound, and I just wanted to make my own post about the unique rule pertaining to its Inferno Cannon. As you know, when you use a normal flamer you place the narrow end of the template so that it is touching the base of the firing model and then try and cover as many enemy units with it as you can with the larger end pointed away from your model. I dont know if this is news to anyone here, but you dont have to do that when firing the Inferno Cannon.

Needless to say the Inferno Cannon has a longer range so the template wont be touching the Hellound in most circumstances. However, if you read the rules for the weapon they state that the whole template must be in range and in line of sight, but never make any mention about the orientation of the template. So, you can by the letter of the rules, turn the template sideways or backwards or however you want to cover as may enemy models as long as they are in range and line of sight. If an opponent or red shirt questions you on this you can show them the rules and defy them to produce any other rationale as to why the template must point that way (other than it does seem intuitively correct).

I have heard this rule explained as it being a representation of the massive range of the flames spouting forth from the Inferno Cannon and the ability of the gunner to "strafe" his gout of fire across a unit of enemy troops rather than simply firing a straight shot at them.

Again, I dont know if that is something everyone is already doing, but I do know that I have made a few people in my shop aware of it and they hadnt heard that before.

You've got the right of it! I actually argued against this once, playing against a dude with a hellhound, before I majorly facepalmed and was corrected.
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

I remember this rule being sprung on me by a redshirt while playing in a massive participation battle. The guard codex was due in a few days so nobody knew the new rules. And I remember telling people the hellhound would be safe to ignore for the first turn due to its very short range and paper thin armour. Then the redshirt places his template 24" away from the tank and burns up the squad of traitor guard controlled by the guy next to me, much to the shock of everyone on the chaos side.

Everyone controlling a squad of plague marines laughed it off while us stuck with a single squad of men were suddenly very worried!
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great tank, hell incarnate for 'Nids though

I've always wondered, does the whole of the template have to be within LoS?

I was very, VERY drunk. thechaplain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hlaine View Post
    Great tank, hell incarnate for 'Nids though

I've always wondered, does the whole of the template have to be within LoS?
    Tis indeed a good tank!

And yes - it does all have to be in LOS, I'm afraid!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, damn. *Looks guiltily around the room*
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon
    I also laughed as there was a vote for 'Dark Angles'

Spreading the Emperor's light with their holy protractors and isosceles triangles.

I was very, VERY drunk. thechaplain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hlaine View Post
    Ah, damn. *Looks guiltily around the room*
    I wouldn't worry too much! Honest mistake, and all that!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast