5th Edition Rules and the Ratlings - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5th Edition Rules and the Ratlings

In what will be an ongoing series of posts relating to the new rules and various units in the IG I have some thoughts on the Ratlings.

The new rules for Sniper Rifles benefit them quite nicely. Sniper rifles now utilize the shooters BS rating (which is a good thing for the rats) wound 50% of the time regardless of toughness, and all 6's to wound are Rending. Rending now means that those lucky shots have a AP of...well, X so as to not break the rules. I will put it this way, the AP value is sufficient to ignore basically armor (not vehicles) in the game that is not invulnerable.

Add that to the fact that Rats get to infiltrate (which has also been tuned up a bit in 5th) and get an additional +1 to any cover save they get.

In the 5th, you get cover save equal to Carapace Armor from damn near everything, including your own troops right in front of you. These guys get to add a +1 to that save too.

So an infiltrating unit that can get an invlunerable save equal to a Space Marine in power armor just by standing behind another unit and can shoot long range attacks that score 66% hits, 50% wounds regardless of Toughness, and about 17% chance for any wounds to ignore armor saves.

Nasty.

EDIT: After posting this I re-read the new rules for Go to Ground in 5th Edition. A unit can dive for dirt and improve whatever their cover save is by +1 but cant move or shoot the next turn. So, in a supreme act of self preserverance Rats can be in almost any cover in the game and get their normal +1 to cover plus another +1 to cover for ducking to end up with an invulnerable save equal to a Terminators armor value.

Last edited by Guaardvark; June 28th, 2008 at 03:21.
    "No dumb bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. You win a war by making the other dumb bastard die for his country." General George S. Patton, Jr.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am currently working on a unit of Guardsmen with green stuff cloaks and lasguns with scopes from my Space Marines and their barrels enlongated to act as Snipers. I doubt they'll be done for a while (as painting is more important haha!) but I'd like to introduce myself to the unit with 5th edition rules. Units are simply more resiliant to shooting now - you forgot to mention that if your Ratlings are shooting through a Squad, all that wonderful (and realistically rare) rending they'll be doing will be saved on a 4+ too. That said, they're so damn cheap and can serve as such a distraction for units that aren't vehicle mounted at the start, and can harass the hell out've the enemy - especially due to their insane cover saves (assuming they're deployed forwards and with no intervening friendly squads between them and the target.
    "Not Another Step Back! Death to the Enemies of Man!"

+ Reply to Thread