Heavy weapon teams - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heavy weapon teams

So I been wondering for a while about a few small details about weapon teams. I've asked around but no one seems to be able to give me a straight answer. I have my own take on these matters but if anyone can rectify or confirm that would be great.

1- Since one man fires the weapon, does that mean the other can fire his lasgun or since he's the "reloader" he has to attend to the ammunition? I assume that the can't.

2- If a blast or large blast ends up a partial hit, does mean that the two guards are hit or just one? I think it's both since there on the same base.

3- if one member of the team dies, do you remove the large base and replace it with a normal guard? I wouldn't think so since changing the base might break coherency.

4- Again, if one member of the team dies, can another model act has the "reloader" as long as he didn't move and remains within 2"? I don't remember where I've heard or read this but I think it's true.

Anyway, if one of you can also point a page in the rule book or codex to support your answer it would be even better.

Imperial Guard: 3000 pts
    Chaos Daemons: 1000 pts

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Watcher In The Sky Beardy_Wierdy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x4)

1 - I play that the reloader can fire his lasgun, but I know that some people don't.

2 - Not sure, when its me I go with what looks like it would be about right if they were based seperately, what you could do is say that if less than 50% of the base is covered there is one partial, 50% = a full, more than 50% is a full and a partial.

3 - No, just pretend one of them isnt there

4 - Loss of reloader has no bearing on anything, you dont need one to work the gun.
    The name refers to facial hair, not playing style.

Quote Originally Posted by A news vendor's stand, London, June 1940
    French sign peace treaty: we're in the finals!

I was very, VERY drunk. thechaplain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by MaxDv View Post

1- Since one man fires the weapon, does that mean the other can fire his lasgun or since he's the "reloader" he has to attend to the ammunition? I assume that the can't.

2- If a blast or large blast ends up a partial hit, does mean that the two guards are hit or just one? I think it's both since there on the same base.

3- if one member of the team dies, do you remove the large base and replace it with a normal guard? I wouldn't think so since changing the base might break coherency.

4- Again, if one member of the team dies, can another model act has the "reloader" as long as he didn't move and remains within 2"? I don't remember where I've heard or read this but I think it's true.

Anyway, if one of you can also point a page in the rule book or codex to support your answer it would be even better.
    1 ) I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Guardsman who doesn't fire the heavy weapon can fire his lasgun. Of course, I can't find said entry now! How's that for sods law?

2 ) Generally, round my neck of the woods, we assume that they are both hit, as the rules clearly state that the hit is judged by contact with the base. As they're both on the same base they both get hit.

3 ) The easiest way to think about the heavy weapon is to imagine that it has two wounds. You can lose one of the Guardsmen and it will have no effect whatsoever. You can just assume that the chap fireing the gun re-loads it himself, or another Guardsman does it, etc. It isn't removed until both are killed.

4 ) Like I said - the re-loader doesn't actually matter! Just pretend he's not there anymore.

Hope this helps!

Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

So I been wondering for a while about a few small details about weapon teams. I've asked around but no one seems to be able to give me a straight answer. I have my own take on these matters but if anyone can rectify or confirm that would be great.

In short:

1. No
    2. It is a simple base with 2 wounds. When 2 wounds are made, the base is removed.
    3. No, base remains except it only has 1 wound now. Or in GW terms - 1 guardsman
    4. As long as the base has at least 1 wound, the HW can fire.

For some reason people get confused by this. A HW base is a simple base with 2 wounds, the 2 guardsmen are just a fluff way of describing it. Also, you are NOT legitemately allowed to replace the HW base with 2 guardsmen on normal bases with a HW(operator/reloader/gun). The HW base is the size of the model, and replacing it with 2 small based models is cheating. I have seen many people do this and its illegal. If you do this on a serious Gw event such as Grand Tournament than you will not be allowed to use those models.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WraithGuardian View Post
    A HW base is a simple base with 2 wounds, the 2 guardsmen are just a fluff way of describing it.
    But wait! 2 wounds? does this mean that instant death from, say double strenght, removes the base entirelly?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're two separate models, not a single model with two wounds.

They're placed on the 60mm base for convenience and aesthetics - but not ease of ruling who lives and dies haha.

I've converted about half of my heavy weapons to stand on 40mm bases (Terminator-size ones) and the other half are still on the 60mm bases I got when I bought the kits in the first place. I vastly prefer the 40mm ones as it makes it so much easier to negotiate dense terrain, buildings, etc, with the squad. However, for the ones on the 60mm base, I just say that if your template is over the model, he's hit, if its partially over the model, its a partial. Its really too bad that for aesthetics I played them so close together, when it would've been a better idea to space them out more.

As for the other questions, the wording of the squad in the codex doesn't seem to indicate that they forego or abandon their lasguns when they're given these weapons, especially the loader. That said, an argument could be made that a plasma gun-carrying model foregoes his lasgun... I normally just say the loader can shoot with his lasgun, anyways, and err on the side of not pushing the envelope (with some particularly anal people) by saying my Autocannon gunner has a lasgun as well.
    "Not Another Step Back! Death to the Enemies of Man!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

105 (x5)

But wait! 2 wounds? does this mean that instant death from, say double strenght, removes the base entirelly?
    No, a base with 2 wounds that is immune to instant death. Also, they behave differently when being attacked indirectly, if I remember correctly you have to roll for the gun and the crew to see which is hit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WraithGuardian View Post
    Also, they behave differently when being attacked indirectly, if I remember correctly you have to roll for the gun and the crew to see which is hit.
    Your wrong. What you are describing is artillery. The only artillery model in the entire game are Ork Big gunz and eldar platforms.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

105 (x5)

Your wrong. What you are describing is artillery. The only artillery model in the entire game are Ork Big gunz and eldar platforms.
    Thats why I hate playing so many armies, sooner or later you begin to confuse what rules apply to which army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

In my opinion is faster play it like a two wonds miniature. The rule Instant Death! can be interpreted like a shoot that destroy the weapon and the ammo explosion kill the gunners. Like it was an Attack Bike of the Space Marines. If we start to make it to complex is gona be a lots of discusions with other players.
    Last edited by mareo; June 29th, 2008 at 04:23.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)