Does anyone actually play Catachan? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Does anyone actually play Catachan?

Hello, just a brief question after reading the Catachan rules, does anyone actually play this codex? I just have a feeling the army would not work unless the terrain was extremely tailored to they're needs (saying in the codex that Catachan should have around 90% of the board in jungle)

My second question is why would GW spend so much money on producing Catachan plastics for a army thats unplayable outside very specific and unrealistic situations.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Anyone at all?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have not seen a Catachan Army, a true Catachan Army that uses the rules from that Codex...ever. I have seen guys use the models, or convert them, or have them represent something else but never seen a full army based on the Jungle Fighting rules as they are presented in that book.

Half of the rules in that book pertain only to jungle worlds, not even other types of deathworlds, so you couldnt get creative and say you had a deathworld veteran list that originates from a cityfight type planet.

I always thought that kind of list would be great, if you could use the rules for ambush and booby traps and all the special things that apply to the jungle rules but in a cityfight type environment.

But you cant.
    "No dumb bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. You win a war by making the other dumb bastard die for his country." General George S. Patton, Jr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm slowly building an army using the models, the rules don't appeal much though. You would think their sneakiness and experience would be of some use elsewhere.

The models are nicer in my opinion, they actually look like soldiers rather than tooled up civvies from a somehow populous planet on the frontline of the war against chaos.

The rules are nice and I like the lack of pointless command squads (ten guard aren't that brilliant, five are just a glorified machine gun team) sucha a shame that they are only really of any use in the jungle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really feel odd in the fact that my old man has a Catachan army exactly how they are in the rulebook. Personally he prefers it as it adds to thoe whole 'We ain't typical guard kid' attitude.

It's even at times where I've come close to doing my own army with those rules, to the point of where I don't even use any vehicles. It's mainly booby-trap and ambush heavy.
    I'll be damned before the soldiers of the Emperor are just left to rot!
    Last words of Colonel Densit from the Rahaxin 19th

"DISS NOT THE EMPEROR'S POINTED STICK, HERETIC!"

If it doesn't work with the Emperor. Then it's been officially Karmooned!!!

BEWARE THE POWER OF THE LIGHT-BRIGHT!

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by gauss_storm View Post
    Hello, just a brief question after reading the Catachan rules, does anyone actually play this codex? I just have a feeling the army would not work unless the terrain was extremely tailored to they're needs (saying in the codex that Catachan should have around 90% of the board in jungle)

My second question is why would GW spend so much money on producing Catachan plastics for a army thats unplayable outside very specific and unrealistic situations.

Thanks.
    I did see a nice looking Catachan army at a tournament once, lots of mortars and heavy flamers.

Didn't actually see how it fared though, which was a shame. Still - they do exist!
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

right now, the only reason why I'd field Catachans is to modify them into Ghosts. I'm actually thinking to get a platoon of Ghosts to fluff-ify my army. Been dreaming of that lately - damn you Dan Abnett!

Other than that, I can't stand the models. Too Rambo, 1980's pulp-war-movie-esque for me. I could almost hear Def Leppard or Ratt playing in the background when I see these things. Which iSN'T a good thing, mind you!

Peace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

I used to have one. Lots of men and I had vehicles and normal heavy weapons for when I was playing regular games.
    we only ever managed to scrounge together enough terrain for a jungle fight once, and even then it was too sparse and the lack of armour and weapons ended in their demise.

I prefer the Cadian Models as they are closer to the right scale (catachans are taller than marines) and are wearing armour and helmets!
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I (tried) to play Catachans for a long time using the Deathworld Veterans list. The problem is, in order for them to be that competetive, your opponent has to agree to the jungle fighting rules. Without Ambush and Booby Traps. I just wasn't interested in playing them.
    Emperor have mercy on those who stand against me, for I shall not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a side pet project I have about 750pts of Catichan Jungle Fighters that I use for Jungle fight games. I encourage people to try it and most armies can adapt to it. But for the most part my opponents are Tyranids, Orks and a Kroot Merc's army. Good times but keep the points low due to the pain of moving models through dense terrain!
    40k armies
    Imperial Guard-3,250pts
    Blood Angels-2,000pts
    Daemon Hunters-2,000pts

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast