Daemonhunters in Dark Angels... (or vice versa) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x1)

Daemonhunters in Dark Angels... (or vice versa)

This is cross-posted from the Daemonhunters Forum. I wonder if I could get a fresh perspective here as well.

Greetings fellow gamers,

I am contemplating the addition of some grey knights to my Dark Angels army, and wanted your opinions. Please keep in mind that they will thematically be members of the Dark Angels "Inner Circle" and not "Allied Grey Knights" (I will, of course, be using all the appropriate rules from Codex Daemonhunters)

I plan on painting all of the grey knights in a clean Ivory color, with their nemesis force weapons colored like the Sword of Secrets (same obsidian, same strength increase). I also plan on removing/altering the grey knight iconography and replace it with more appropriate DA iconography

I know the GK Termies have their whole arms as separate pieces. How would it look with the SM assault terminators Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield (Using only the larger shield)? Would the difference in level of detail be a detraction?

I plan on using the chaos marine backpacks on the 'fast attack' squad of grey knights (the ones without any chaos symbols on them). I just think it would give them a dynamic "just 'ported in" feel. but I could be wrong.

So do these options seem viable to you fine folks of librariam?

+++++

Now, what would you add to a Dark Angels force. I already have at least one of everything (and a completed Deathwing and Ravenwing force) to choose from. So for the Grey Knight expansion tell me what you would include and why. Points cost matters only in as much as I would like to get the mos bang for my buck, so excessive wargear should be limited. (I plan on full size squads, so I can always trim it down when I need to scrape up points)

I am thinking:

Grey Knight Hero
    *Wargear up for debate*

Grey Knight Terminator Squad
    *Am thinking of magnetizing the arms...I can't decide between TH/SS or a "shooty" squad*

Grey Knights in Power Armor
    *Two squads...I'm interested in your equipment suggestions*

Grey Knights in Power Armor [Fast Attack]
    *Psycannon? Incinerator?*

Looking at this...I almost have a full Grey Knight Army... which brings me to my next question.

+++++

What would you add to the above list to make a "Grey Knight Army" that would also fit in a "Dark Angels Force"?

Grey Knight Dreadnought? Grey Knight Land Raider? More Termies? More PAGK? More Fast Attack PAGK? *Shudder* An inquisitor? *Shudder* NOTE: No storm troopers, assassins, or anything that doesn't have a 3+ or better save.

When it comes to the "sweet, sweet non-scatter" I have ravenwing. Oh what bliss you bring.

I am leaning towards x2 ten man squads of PAGK with psycannons; ten-man squad of pagk with incinerators [Fast Attack]; Grey Knight Hero w/ Retinue; Grey Knight Terminators (TH/SS)

For all intents and purposes, these models won't be "Grey Knights" They will be "Inner Circle" Dark Angels. Juse using the GK rules to represent their better wargear and experience hunting the "fallen" I am reluctant to build them in plastic, because the metal models are just so sexy (the wrist mounted Storm Bolters are awesome!) I might add some plastic power weapons (Particularly swords) just to get some variety, but I plan on all of them looking like the sword of secrets.

Thanks for your opinions.

Very Respectfully,
    --Forsaken

* "I'm Significant!" -screamed the dust speck
    * "Call me old fashioned, but an evil ascension to power just isn't the same without someone chanting faux Latin in the background."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

I wouldn't bother with GKPA to be honest, they're pretty expensive for what they can do, and the psycannons will keep them too static – best off just dumping them and getting another body for the S6 cc and stormbolter.

But GKTs are excellent in a DW army, and presumably a DA battle company army too. Give the embedded Brother-Captain a psychic Hood ( LD10 ), and if you have the points, him and another termy a psycannon. These guys are excellent deep striking in, can fire and move and the S6 Nemesis' are great.

The alternative is just to take a GK Brother-Captain as an allied HQ choice, give him a psychic hood and psycannon and attach him to a DW squad for Deathwing assault. Cheap and effective.

The GKGM is a monster – but costs a lot of points – especially if you fully kit him out with hood, psycannon and Sacred Incense, but again viable in larger games where you can attach him to a DW squad.

The problem with GK armies is that they only have two effective ranged anti-armour weapons: Dreads and Land Raiders. To my mind you are best constructing a balanced DA force using the GK as allies, that way you get more options to play with.

Cheers
    Z
    Keeper of the Dark Fortress
    Member of the Inner Circle
    Current armies: Deathwing and Grey Knights (I'd have more if my wife would let me)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x1)

No one seems to like the PAGK. I think they look cool, but they might be over-costed.

I already have a balanced force for my Dark Angels. In fact, I have a balanced force, a Deathwing Army, a Ravenwing Army, and at least 3 separate Apocalypse Formations (Masters of the Chapter, Armored Spearhead, Space Marine Battle Company).

Now, I am looking to expand them with other models as long as they are able to be fielded with my Dark Angels without using apocalypse rules.

Eventually, I might have a 'full-size pure grey knight army' but for now I am all about my Dark Angels Astartes.

Very Respectfully,
    --Forsaken
    * "I'm Significant!" -screamed the dust speck
    * "Call me old fashioned, but an evil ascension to power just isn't the same without someone chanting faux Latin in the background."

+ Reply to Thread