new Black Templar army, need some help... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new Black Templar army, need some help...

Hey all, first post here and i have decided to start a Black Templar army after finally filling out my Tau to satisfaction....

anyway, i am looking at starting with the Space Marine BattleForce, i am not sure how many points i am looking at with that (as a Black Templar army) and depending on that what other units would i want to look at, especially point wise, i am reaching for a good start of 1,500 points.

now keep in mind, i am on a small budget but i want to have a decent amount of units for my money.

i want to make this a very fluffy Black Templar army so, keep that in mind, i will be purchaseing a BT conversion kit or two for my army to start with.

please help me as i have ever done anything space marines so the chapters still kind of confuse me, that is in terms of game mechanics, how they relate to the main SM codex etc...

thanks for all the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

Welcome to the crusade!

The BTs are definately an interesting army to develop. Keep in mind that their learning curve is pretty steep for marines. I have about 10,000 pts of BTs, and am almost finally done painting a 500 pt army.

For general advice:
    The codex is stand alone. Buy that, and read through it a few times, and you'll probably konw which direction you want to take your crusade.

For fluff: the codex says that the BTs fight either via drop pod, or via mechanized assault (like other marine chapters). However, it seems to me that a lot of people play them as footslogging marines (and the RZ helps with this), so you'll have to decide which theme you want to play as. BTs perform fine in all three respects, and you can make them win however you want them to play.

Also, it seems there are a lot of marines & neophytes in each crusade, so your fluffy lists tend to have a good number of marines in them (but this isn't necessary).

The crusader squads are generally better at CC than they are at shooting. However, the army still must have some element of long range shooting to protect the advancing squads. Each commander does this differently (tanks, terminators, las/plas...), but how you do it is important to how the list performs overall, and ties strongly with your theme.

I don't really know how else to direct you. The SM battleforce and a few BT upgrade boxes will give you some things to build from. However, you will want some more CCW & BPs to get your crusaders into CC and be effective.

Just my two cents.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Listen up you primitive screwheads ... see this ... this is my BOOM-stick!" - Ash

"I told you, it's not Pink! It's Light Red!" Donut on his new power-armor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jaren View Post
    please help me as i have ever done anything space marines so the chapters still kind of confuse me, that is in terms of game mechanics, how they relate to the main SM codex etc...
    Well, I am a Blood Angels Player so I can't give you that much information on Black Templars per se. However, I can generically help you on Space Marines.

When the Emperor wanted an elite battle force, he created 18 warriors based on his own genes. They were later to become the Primarchs, that means the heads of their own Space Marine Legion. Each Primarch was unique and as his marines took over his traits, the Imperium had 18 unique Space Marine Legions.

After the Horus Heresy, the legions were broken up into smaller chapters so that no one would ever have that much power at his own hands. That's when the current chapters came into existence.

The main Space Marine Codex basically describes the Ultramarines, one of the leading chapters of the Imperium. This Codex is also the base to create your own chapter with its unique background if you wish.

The Black Templars Codex, Blood Angels Codex, Dark Angels Codex, and Space Wolves Codex describe other famous and popular chapters which all vary slightly from the "Vanilla Marines" in the main Codex. For example, the Blood Angels have a focus on assault squads equipped with jump packs and feature also turbo charged tanks to get into close combat fast.

So, what you can do is to pick one of the "standard" chapters with the respective Codex or take the main Codex and invent your own.
    "Fear not and look up to the sky for salvation, for we have entered orbit."
    Blood Angels 2nd Grail Guard Company

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

Lucky I had this alll typed up then for a later use.

Black Templars (BT)
    Now these are fun, 20 man squads consisting of 10 Marines and 10 Scouts, with a maximum of 60 attacks on the charge, sounds like you? This is now the only Chapter who can have the Emperor's Champion, a great little character who is compulsory when over 750pts. As many Land Raiders as you want, up to 14 on one standard FOC. These have no Psykers, Sergeants, Scout Bikes or Whirlwinds, preferring to engage up close and personal, one of the famous tear you apart with a chainsword Chapters. If your squad suffers a casualty, you can choose to move 1D6 towards your opponent's closest unit or if you run a Chaplain with that squad, you can move where you want. Has a lack of Teleport Homers because of no Sergeants causing Terminators to deep strike in blind or to ride in a Land Raider, which isn't that bad really Mainly an assault type army but can be played multiple ways such as mechanized, drop pod etc.
    Miss Spam Master 2009
    The Briny Series: Urban War Beginnings | Cygnar
    Thrallstudios

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my best advice is to buy the blood claws space wolf box and easily convert them to templars for CC.

+ Reply to Thread