Space marine codex true grit. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Space marine codex true grit.

With the current space marine codex still out i have found a loopwhole in it. It will be stamped out when the new one comes out but its good while it lasts. Now a command, veteran, tactical, devastator squad can take true grit and counter attack at a cost of 3 pnts per model. Now there is no longer in the 5th edition rulebook true grit however in the entry it says 'models with true grit and a bolter are assumed to have a close combat weapon at no extra cost.' If that means space marines with it get 2 attacks from 2 close combat weapons then combined with counter attack which now if you pass a LD test you count as charging if you are charged. This means that bacic marines with a bolter get 3 attacks if charged. Would this be true?

Nothing more funny than 3 inquisitors with sanctify when facing deamons. They cant do anything while you stand in front of them having a tee break.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

No this would not be true, marines with true grit would not get three attacks for a successful counter-charge. (Since the bonus from true grit denies the charging bonus, and the counter attack bonus counts as a charging bonus.) I'm not entirely certain about the current marine codex, but I do know that the space wolf FAQ says to play true grit as written in that codex, and FAQ and codex trump rulebook (in this case from a different codex because the rulebook does not hav the rule.)

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes but that part i quoted is what true grit does now since the rules for it are not in the rulebook so it does not say anywere that you dont get the extra attack for charging.
    Nothing more funny than 3 inquisitors with sanctify when facing deamons. They cant do anything while you stand in front of them having a tee break.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the true grit rules are still in the Daemon Hunters Codex, and the Space Wolf Codex. So you can probably take your lead from them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

Right, I cant remember LO's rules on posting quotes straight from the rule book, so I wont, however if you double check the 4th edition rules on True Grit (page 76 I think), it does say you don’t receive the +1 attack bonus for charging, and the bolter is considered a bolt pistol for the purpose of close combat, not that you get a free CCW. Charging and counter-charging are the same thing (technically) so I would expect that bolter-wielding men with true-grit would just have 2 attacks on a counter-charge from 5th edition.

During this period where we have the 5th edition rulebook and the 4th edition 'dex, I’d recommend that where rules overlap into the 4th edition, just take the 4th edition rules straight from the book until things are clarified later this year. Like you said, this will be stamped out later, and I honestly wouldn’t waste effort searching for loopholes between 4th and 5th. If you happen upon more though, please share!

CR

boo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

however, you can't just take rules out of another codex, which
    is why greyknights get the crappy assult cannon, despite there
    being a newer one

Grots/SoB/CSP/AWN/DE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although I'm not an expert in DH or the rules, I was under the impression that if you had the exact same name (for instance, a rhino) and a reasonable approximation of point costs, then the most updated version would take precendence..

If not, then I should probably only be shooting with one flamer from my rhino...

edit : Sisters of Battle Rhino

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also remember its 5th edition now so 4th edition does not count

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now there is NO reference to true grit in the current rulebook which is 5th edition. Now this means the space marine codex is correct and therefore this is the only statement which aplies to space marines of the main codex. This is EXACLY what it says:

'TRUST YOUR BATTLE BROTHERS'
    'Any command Squad, Veteran Squad, Tactical Squad, Assault Squad or Devastator Squad may take the skills Counter-attack and True Grit at a cost of +3 points per model for both skills. Models with True Grit and a Bolter are assumed to have a close combat weapon at no extra cost.'

Now since this is now what true grit does it means since you also get counter-attack which if you are charged and pass a LD test count as charging so you get +1 attack. Now True Grit can now be used if you charge since it does not say that you dont get +1 attack for charging. however do you get +1 attack for 2 close combat weapons from true grit since it says that you gain a close combat weapon which leaves you still with a bolter in 1 hand? This is quite confusing but i hope you get what i mean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

Its really simple, you have 3 options

Pay x points per marine to get true grit and combat weapon, there is no such rule as true grit so you waste your points.

or
    Pay x points for true grit and combat weapon, use the rule you've always used until the update comes and takes away your true grit bonus anyway

or
    Save the x points and spend them elsewhere as true grit rule is gone and its not coming back
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast