Raven Guard: another approach - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raven Guard: another approach

Hey folks,

I am a great fan of the Shrike model, his background and fluff are a bunch of fun, as well as the fluff for the raven guard themselves being an entertaining read.

I find myself however in the camp that leans towards the "lots of assault squads" mentality. They are just what I think of when imagining guerrilla close combat type warfare.

So after thinking about it for a while, I was thinking about using the blood angels list for my raven guard.

If I understand correctly in the new rules you can have multiple characters attached to a unit. (Please correct me if I am wrong I have only done one quick read through)

So, we take a captain with twin lighting claws, and jump pack (shrike), a chaplain with bolt pistol and crozius arcanum, and jump pack,(call him anything you wish, but he allows you to keep the mob under control), and attach them both to whatever size jump pack death company you like. (shrike's wing)

The way I see it you loose some of the fun toys that make shrike so cool, but you get an invulnerable save for the captain, litanies of hate from the chappy (which replaces the re-roll from the lighting claws), and you get an much more powerful bodyguard. (their "lightning claws" all become rending.)

How many and what sort of supporting troops I haven;t decided yet. I'll post in the list section once I decide.

But what are the initial thoughts from you folks?

thanks in advance,

Brian "TZ"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    542 (x8)

I see this quite a bit, and thought about using the idea myself for my Raven Guard. The reason I decided against it was that Raven Guard are also all about scouts, and I wanted my army to represent that as well (as Lost Nemesis wrote, it's all about Assault Squads, Scouts, and Drop Pods for Raven Guard...I wholeheartedly agree). I think the Blood Angels idea is a great way to emphasize the assault squad facet of an RG army, and I wish you the best of luck in making yours! Keep us updated!

Tekore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds ok except for a few things
    1.the original shrike can rend in close combat
    2.shrikes wing all have lightning claws and they and shrike have the infiltrate,stealth, and scout special rules.
    3.in the space marine codex in the trait system it shows raven guard traits which allow them to give assualt and tactical squads furious assualt and the ability to take assualt squads as elites or fast attack.
    So personally the original raven guard is a better assualt squad army than. You may think that blood angels are better cause they can take assault squads as troops but an all assualt squad army will have tank trouble not to mention shrike can be in combat on turn 1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Put a starter list in the list forum LINK

Cap. Sic, has some good points a quick response:

1. in this senario the DC all has rend loose 1, gain 8.

2 & 3. you are right on there, I loose the power weapons and the speacial abilitties. Hence the reason I asked for the discussion.

:-)

I'm torn as to which bonusses are better.

+ Reply to Thread