Whirlwind Question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Hi all, Recently I have been playing mostly vs chaos iron warriors, and I had a though while revising my army list after getting pounded. (I play Dark Angels).

The whirlwind came as a idea, the only problem I have with it, is the fact that the armor penetration is worth crap vs marines... but on the other hand the barrage pinning + the ordanance template is good. I use my whirlwind alot against Nids, eldar, IG and Tau but im not sure if its worth its points (in other words will I be able to make my points back) when being faced against marines

Any thoughts on this??

HyperX

I had this long signature made up, but I didnt like it...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its a good point that most space marine tanks are pretty crap vs other space marines, chaos and crons. lascannons are overkill, and heavy bolters and autocannons dont have the AP

they really lack the punch of say a battle cannon or basilisk.

the vindicator can be useful but it suffers from poor range and can be a bit of a bullet magnet, it should become more useful with the new vehicle rules however.

id consider dropping the whirly and try and fit in some devs with missile launchers, plas cannons are great but very pricey.
    "At the end I will be there. For the final battle. For the Wolftime." Last words of Leman Russ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

id consider dropping the whirly and try and fit in some devs with missile launchers, plas cannons are great but very pricey.
    I considered this but being a Dark Angels player I can field plasma cannons in my tactical squads for 20 pts cheeper thatn in my devestator, so i tend to put a plasma cannon in each of my tactical squads.

I think the only thing the whirlwind could be good for VS other marines is pinning... but even then you have to kill at least 1 model....
    (damn 3+ save&#33; <_< ) its good when you use it but its madening when someone else does, lol.

HyperX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ihave to say that whirlwinds are one of my favorite units for ong rnage shoot,ing, but for 75 points, they never make their points against things like marines or chaos. so if its any army with abundant 4+ or 5+ saves, i would, but against marines, i just assume take likea vindicator
    Quote of the week: &quot;dude, for a whole hour, i would fall asleep&#33;&quot;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes whirl winds are worth it they can shoot over walls and hills and not be seen. They can devistate squads and if you wan&#39;t opinon of a after math of beign blown to bits ask AunO&#39; Dessiu&#39;s
    [QUOTE] &quot;For eleven hundred years I have fought and I have seen the darkness in our galaxy. I have seen the vileness of the alien. I have seen the heresy of the mutant. I have witnessed the sin of Possession. I have seen all the evil that the galaxy harbours and I have slain all whose presence defiles the Emperor. I have seen what you have seen i Have fought what you must fight and i have slain what you must slay.
    You are armored by the Emperor himself.
    Righteousness is your sheild. So fear not and be proud, for we are the sons of Sanguinius, the Protectors of ManKind
    Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death&quot;

-Commander Dante adressing the Blood Angels Chapter at the start of the Alchonis Campaing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Brothern Captin Tyco@May 29 2004, 17:44
    Yes whirl winds are worth it they can shoot over walls and hills and not be seen. They can devistate squads and if you wan&#39;t opinon of a after math of beign blown to bits ask AunO&#39; Dessiu&#39;s
    The thing is no one is disputing their effectiveness overall, just against Chaos Space Marines.

I too would probably go with the Vindicator. It can be a bullet magnet, but you can use that to your advantage.

Otherwise, well, plasma guns and Veteran Seargents with power weapons are your friends.
    &quot;Don&#39;t Delay-The best is the enemy of the good. By this I mean that a good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week. War is a very simple thing, and the determining characteristics are self-confidence, speed, and audacity. None of these things can ever be perfect, but they can be good.&quot;
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Ya the only thing i dont like about the vindicator is i cant move if i want to shoot with that big uber gun, and if i dont move, it will, like LRseriesIII said, attract alot of fire. I dont want to lose it before i can get a shot off....

HyperX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that&#39;s one less shot your Plasma Cannon Squads have to take. Like you said, just max out on Plasma Cannons in your tac squads, form a shield of meat (I value SMurf life very much.) and hope you can shoot him to death before he shoots you the same.
    <a href='http://www.onpoint-marketing.com/stealth-marketing.htm' target='_blank'>The future of marketing is here&#33; Stealth Marketing&#33;</a>
    Wait, you mean that optimism isn&#39;t fashionable anymore?&#33;
    Lord of Smart-ass Youthimizzles.
    Soup&#39;s up, bitches&#33;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don&#39;t take a whirlwind against other marines... invest that 75 points in something useful... like 5 more marines... or a landspeeder with a multimelta... or something else... it&#39;s just not good against things with real armor saves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Hmm OK

Whirlwinds are pants against 3+ saves, plasma cannons are your boys there,

Da can get them far cheaper in their tac squads, but also DA can get them in both tac sqauds and devvie squads, get both
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast