Are vehicle squadrons worth using? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are vehicle squadrons worth using?

Say I have 3 fast attack choices I don't plan on filling out. Would it be better to get 3 vehicles in one squad, or 3 squads of 1 vehicle?

Pros of the one squad is hits being spread out, stuns downgraded to shakens, and them arriving from reserves together.

Cons is coherancy, limited targeting options, immobs becoming destroys.

Pros of the second one are freedom of movement, freedom of target selection, and still fighting on while immobilized.

Cons are more KPs available to the opponent, not arriving together from reserves.

In this case, it's 3 sentinels, and I really don't know which option is better. Stuns being made into shaken isn't as much of a benefit with open-topped vehicles, as they still have a 1/2 chance of dying to a penetrating hit, but on a glancing hit that means a 1/2 chance of being shaken instead of anything major happening. Spreading out hits isn't really all that important either since they'll probably die to the first penetrating shot anyway. I guess it would make a difference if they're equipped differently, but then if they're equipped differently then having to target the same unit is hampering them.

But on the other hand, giving the enemy less KPs and having them all arrive together to wreak havoc when dropping or outflanking are very big advantages, and I can see 3 sentinels assaulting Tau or Eldar or some other S3 army being pretty nasty with 6 S5 attacks.

Does anyone have some input to help me decide?

Last edited by jh316; July 22nd, 2008 at 10:15.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Pedantic Englishman Wolf Lord Herby's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x4)

Personally, I'd always take them seperately, although I haven't played many games using 5th gen rules yet. Means you can split your fire, and your opponent is loath to spend much firepower dealing with a single Sentinel, especially if there are more pressing targets.
    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

Id be inclined to agree with Herby, there are a couple of points in favour of taking Sentinels as a squadron though, as far as I can see...

Firstly, the kill point issue, the extra durability on the vehicle damage chart, and if used with outflanking the extra firepower of 3 over 1 would be pretty sweet. If I were to take Sentinel squadrons then i'd probably make them as basic as possible, just the weapon and no upgrades, no point in shelling out for upgrades only for the sentinel to be immobilised and destroyed.
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

136 (x4)

*muses* hmm.. I think, with Kill Points.. Squadrons may be the way to go.. but like Theobold said, keep the points low, as they are somewhat easier to destroy with a single squad's firing. But then, there's more chance of them being targeted.. and you can't split your fire... arg. I don't know which way to go.

Essentially, I think it boils down to:
    1 squad gives away less kill points, counts as having extra armour but die if imobilised.
    3 squads are less likely to be targeted, so more likely to survive until the latter turns, you can direct firepower more effectively, and pen hits aren't quite so devastating as 1 squad (which given their low AV, could be quite helpful).

So, weighing those together.. I'd go for 2 units of 2. seems to me to be a decent compromise between power of 3 and kill points of 1.
    Last edited by Wolf Lord Herby; July 22nd, 2008 at 14:24.
    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heres the prob I have with a full squad, if one gets knocked out, the other two have to stay put.

Let's say one gets immobilized, but can still shoot, you can't move the other two away from it because of unit cohesion.

That's why I take three separate sents.

hope this helps!

peace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

136 (x4)

Wolfs, if one gets immobilised, the other 2 can move away, but the immobilised one counts as destroyed. Hence one of our reasons for taking seperate over a group.
    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

I would always take Squadrons now, simply due to the risk of having Sentinels counting for a KP each in 1/3rd of games.

Also AFAIK doesn't hit allocation on vehicle squadrons now work the same way as it does on troops. Thus making all your vehicles slightly different in one squadron is an effective way of lowering damage from massed fire.

As an example two Sentinels (one with Mlaser, one with Autocannon). A squad puts it's fire into the Squadron and rolls 2 glances and 3 penetrating hits. You can choose to put the 3 pentrating hits on the Multi-laser and take 2 glances on the Autocannon.

Or am I completely wrong and their is a seperate system for vehicle squadrons.

Also remember that although Immobilised now means dead, Stunned now just means shaken (I believe) so you can always move if you survive.

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by N1AK View Post
    I would always take Squadrons now, simply due to the risk of having Sentinels counting for a KP each in 1/3rd of games.

Also AFAIK doesn't hit allocation on vehicle squadrons now work the same way as it does on troops. Thus making all your vehicles slightly different in one squadron is an effective way of lowering damage from massed fire.

As an example two Sentinels (one with Mlaser, one with Autocannon). A squad puts it's fire into the Squadron and rolls 2 glances and 3 penetrating hits. You can choose to put the 3 pentrating hits on the Multi-laser and take 2 glances on the Autocannon.

Or am I completely wrong and their is a seperate system for vehicle squadrons.

Also remember that although Immobilised now means dead, Stunned now just means shaken (I believe) so you can always move if you survive.
    You are correct, hit allocation is as per troops, so I suppose you could take a cheaper sentinel in the squadron to take the penetrating hits etc. Of course if you get peppered with penetrating hits then your screwed either way!
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I realized after the post I was referring to 4th ed. sorry about that.

peace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

In general I take them seperately, since I tend to use my sentinels as mobile anti-tank support. Spreading out the enemy's fire is usually a good thing.

I agree however that one advantage for keeping them together is for the sake of reserves rolls. If you're using them to come in off a table edge and obliterate a squad of infantry, it would probably be best to get all three on the table at the same time so that you can bring the maximum amount of fire to bear in as short a time as possible.
    Last edited by SimulatedSnowman; July 22nd, 2008 at 20:36.
    I think you need to spend more time on your floor.

2500 Black Templars
    7-3-3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast