Ultimate Objective contester/holder - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ultimate Objective contester/holder

50 conscripts and gaunt. Sorry if the topic has been brought up, but I havent been on for about a month. I just bought 5th ed. and it seems that with that unit, you can hold any objective for the duration of the game against anything. Unless a vindicaire targets gaunt that is. Does anyone else have this idea for their army especially for 5th ed?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's stopping them from CCing you, killing gaunt, and making the conscripts run? He's an IC afterall.

Hellhounds are good tanks Dakka,Dakka,Dakka's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

here is a better idea that i have yet to try

50 conscripts and chem inhalers, with a command squad nearby

they will not run, even if they are in combat, and if you go to ground, they will survive quite well
    Hellhounds are good tanks

Satan - "**** you Kage! And **** you Jables! I'll get you Tenacious DDDDdddddddeeeeee!!!!!!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am pretty sure that conscripts cannot take chem inhalers as they are not guard infantry. btw, just keep gaunt in the middle of the crowd so he can't be targeted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chem inhalers do not require guard infantry.

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Imperator100 View Post
    I am pretty sure that conscripts cannot take chem inhalers as they are not guard infantry. btw, just keep gaunt in the middle of the crowd so he can't be targeted.
    Not sure about the whole 'chem inhalers' thing, but as for Gaunt - that will be a tough trick to actually pull off.

In the new rules, independant characters HAVE to be moved first when your unit does its mandatory counter attack.

So yeah, a little tough to keep him out of hth, in my mind.

More power to you if you can manage it though!

(Personally, i'd prefer to simply swamp the objective with a bunch of infantry squads instead - seems more effective to me!)
    Last edited by Cadaver Junkie; July 23rd, 2008 at 07:38.
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I guess all you have to do is surround him with enough conscripts that there's no room for his base to pass through.

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by jh316 View Post
    Well I guess all you have to do is surround him with enough conscripts that there's no room for his base to pass through.
    I guess... I suppose I just feel that its an idea that would work in some situations (if you're lucky), but not many.

I mean, if your opponent hits your conscripts with a mass of shooting before charging in, it probably won't work.

Would still look kinda scary sitting there on that objective though, so whatever - go for it anyway!
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    141 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Imperator100 View Post
    50 conscripts and gaunt. Sorry if the topic has been brought up, but I havent been on for about a month. I just bought 5th ed. and it seems that with that unit, you can hold any objective for the duration of the game against anything. Unless a vindicaire targets gaunt that is. Does anyone else have this idea for their army especially for 5th ed?
    Gaunt would make that squad fearless, as he confers it to whatever unit he joins. Considering you'll be losing combat by 5~6 wounds plus a turn, you're looking at having to take lots of armor saves. I've seen this happen to Tyranid gaunts, and it ends up effectively doubling the casualties they take. Your conscripts will likely be dead within a turn or two if they're charged be a handful of MEQs.

You're much better off just getting a regular commissar with summary execution, as you will only end up losing one model.

As far as keeping him out of combat, put your commissar on the second floor of a building. New rules state that you have to move down a floor first, and that subtracts 3" from the rest of your move. However, you still measure from the base to the head of the next model. So with your commissar on a second floor, he would have to move down 3" first, and then would only have 3" left to respond. Placed correctly, you shouldn't have an issue keeping him out of hth.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

You're much better off just getting a regular commissar with summary execution, as you will only end up losing one model.
    The 5th Edition FAQ has changed this. You lose the executed model and the squad is then considered fearless, meaning you then take the additional wounds instead of a morale test.

Really, I doubt the fearless 50-conscripts-of-doom is worthwhile now that there are actual downsides to fearlessness. Not only that, but a crafty Carnifex (or similar unit) could charge them in the late game and suck the squad off the objective thanks to the automatic counterattacking and piling-in.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast